Why Does Paul Never Sing His 80's Hits Live?

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Why Does Paul Never Sing His 80's Hits Live?

Postby Harrythebannister » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:22 am

Harrythebannister wrote:
oobujoobu1971 wrote:Paul's contempt for his 80s material has always been evident.

Even going right back to that very first University tour in 1972, when he wasn't playing any Beatles songs, and had a very limited catalogue of solo material to choose from, he STILL didn't do anything from the 80s. No Pipes of Peace, no Press, nothing.

That speaks volumes to me. :wink:

I dunno about you, but that tickled mine!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:38 am

Maybe he can´t remember those hits :roll:
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Maybe he can't. A mental block?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby edrebber » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:26 pm

The thirtieth anniversary of Give My Regards to Broad Street is coming up. Perhaps Paul could do a revival on Broadway. Except for Linda McCartney and Ralph Richardson, the members of the original cast are still living. I'm thinking Cheryl Crow for Linda's role and David Ogden Stiers for Ralph Richardson's role. This would be a welcome change of pace from the stale concert format.
edrebber

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey Ed,

I agree but David Ogden Stiers? I can't picture it but okay.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby pologallagher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi Daniel and everyone,
well to say what's the best song of any artist is a very subjective matter, so we will never agree completely.
If you ask me, I could say that in comparison to his other records, his 80's output is not my cup of tea. Of course, TOW and FITD are grat records but they dont seem to have made such an everlasting legacy as other records he made.
Peace and good music for all of you.

polo
pologallagher

Postby Awesoman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 pm

daniel9977 wrote:Let me tell you what a weak album is: "Driving Rain"

Which probably explains why he doesn't perform anything off of it. I still like "Lonely Road".

daniel9977 wrote:You all don't get to the bottom of the real thing: "No More Lonely Nights" is a "national anthem" of the 80's like "Let It Be" and "Hey Jude" are the "national anthems" of the 60's. All I'm saying is that Paul can't ignore such a big hit. Imagine Paul start singing NMLN in a middle of a live concert, imagine how the crowd will react - they will applaud and sing along.....

Hate to break this to you, but "No More Lonely Nights" was nothing more than a moderate hit for McCartney. Not a bad song--but nowhere near as memorable as most of his other hits and it was hardly the "national anthem" of the 80's.

edrebber wrote:The thirtieth anniversary of Give My Regards to Broad Street is coming up. Perhaps Paul could do a revival on Broadway. Except for Linda McCartney and Ralph Richardson, the members of the original cast are still living. I'm thinking Cheryl Crow for Linda's role and David Ogden Stiers for Ralph Richardson's role. This would be a welcome change of pace from the stale concert format.

Considering what a disaster that movie and soundtrack was, I doubt McCartney wants to go anywhere near it.
Awesoman

Postby chris » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 am

Awesoman wrote:Hate to break this to you, but "No More Lonely Nights" was nothing more than a moderate hit for McCartney. Not a bad song--but nowhere near as memorable as most of his other hits and it was hardly the "national anthem" of the 80's.

nicely said, sir. i thought this exact thing. and you said it better than i could have. and it's possible you are even being generous. :salute
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 pm

..still...almost any song could, with a bit of personal enthusiasm, be an anthem for that one, true fan...a ' national anthem for the '80's' is stretching it, though...sorry, d-7

i have always thought, tho, that a really great concert could easily be kicked off with the slow version of this fairly under-rated song...and end with the rock version

'course...i am, by more own admission..and i say this with, i'm sure, no surprise to many...a complete dyed in the wool MCCARTNEY fan...so he can drop all these overly repetative beatle songs any day for a 30+ set of his own solo stuff..and i'll be an eternally happy man

just one complete tour, paul....just sayin'
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Mr. H,

I LOVE No More Lonely Nights the rock version. I don't care for the ballad version. I would love to see/hear it in concert. The movie was disjointed but for a die hard Macca fan, it should have been enjoyable. At least it was to me, EXCEPT for the, I think, it was Silly Love Songs where they dressed up in all white and face paint? I didn't like that.

But this blog is for Macca fans and as we have seen in so many other treads, lots of us will agree to disagree.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours