New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Postby mhnso » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:00 am

Also heard this album now, in a rather lowfi download. To me this album has the sound of an instant classic. Pauls has not gone the Rod Stewart way but rather the opposite, small jazz combo(Diana Krall) some strings and not much more. Pauls vocals are upfront and on some songs his vocals are outstanding some of his best since the Beatles. That good it is. Listen for yourself. His range are still stunning and this music is the one he grew up with. A great,and rather uncommercialalbum. Right now I gonna listen to Paper moon again with it s wonderful jazzviolin. Genius stuff. Thsi almum might not be a big seller but it s a real work of art and of love.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Awesoman » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:12 am

MusicTAP has just updated their site with new information about the album. Apparently it has an official album title now: Kisses On the Bottom [insert your favorite anal joke here]. :-| Well regardless as to whether or not this album will be worth listening to, at least one thing is for sure: McCartney hasn't lost his knack for dreadfully-titled albums (Good Evening New York City??? Bleehhh.)

You can read it (and weep) for yourself here:

http://musictap.net/2011/12/28/tapsheet ... -12282011/
Awesoman

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:25 am

The title aside it s an amazing album that soon is goin to be released. Admittedely I like the genre which helps but never really thought Pauls was brave enough to deliver it the way he does here. In an intimate setting with expert players who really knows this kind of music. Wasn t really sure how well Pauls voice would hold towards this material but in most cases it works extremely well. Guess it was a good thing to concentrate on the singing the way he does here. His two original songs works really well to.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:01 pm

Just started a new official "Kisses on the Bottom" thread in the MACCA-albums section, in there is another tracklisting, lyrics to both McCartney songs and the rest will be added.
viewtopic.php?t=12453

Also, if there is enough response, I will play some tracks live later today on MACCA Radio.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby savillerowdie » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Just listened to the album online. Initial impression is I really like 'My Valentine' and 'The Inch Worm'. 'Paper Moon' is pretty good, too.
The rest, I think, will need to grow on me (and probably will). Perhaps it's just not my genre. Though I've always loved the likes of Nat King Cole, I just don't listen to this type of music all that often. Speaking of Nat King Cole, I would have loved to hear Paul's take on something like 'Nature Boy'. I think that would have been a perfect fit here.
Honestly, I wish he'd done the vocals for this about thirty years ago. I've always loved his old demos of this type of stuff, like "After You've Gone', for example.

Still, I will give it some repeated listenings. I remember being underwhelmed by 'Chaos & Creation' the first time I heard it, but it soon grew to be a favorite and remains so.

Listening again to 'The Inch Worm', for me it harkens back a bit to the Wings version of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb'. The child-like voices singing the "2+2 are 4, 4+4 are 8..." remind me the the "La-la, La-la, La-la-la-la-la-la' backing vocals on MHaLL. I say this as a compliment, I really like this one.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 am

Actually the old Danny Kaye chestunt - the inchworm are one of the tracks I think somehow didn t fit the general mood of the album although the arrangement with it s counterpoint between childrens choir and Paul follow the original rather close. Always found this to be a strange song-popular as it might have been. The track could perhaps grow on me - time will tell
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:00 pm

Looks like the track list I came across is the correct one as compared to the one that has been floating around the last few days. Go to the "Kisses on the Bottom" thread to see the cover of the source CD of all these leaks.
viewtopic.php?t=12453

Scroll to the bottom of the link or just go to:
http://www.macca-central.com/albums/kissesonthebottom/
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Previous

Return to MACCA - all discussions