CHRISTMAS MUSIC

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

CHRISTMAS MUSIC

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Hi All,

I got into the spirit of things and put on a new cd I recently bought of Christmas music by Michael Buble. Not bad. His rendition of Ave Maria is excellent. Then I got to thinking about the vinyl my parents left me. So I went through that. I don't have any Christmas music. They had albums from the 1950's and 1960's and they are GONE! I was so angry. I have no idea where they could be either. A few albums had some singers singing O Holy Night and that made me angry then and a whole album by Harry Belafonte gone too.

Outside of going to eBay, do you think FYE MIGHT/MIGHT have cd's of those? No I just answered my own questions. They are too old to probably even be available now. Now I'm bummed. Okay, so do you think FYE might have Josh Groban's cd from a few years ago? I am looking specifically for O Holy Night.

Don't buy cd's too often, can you guess?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Re: CHRISTMAS MUSIC

Postby chris » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:08 pm

are you looking for the christmas classics?

time-life treasury of christmas cd's has them all.

white christmas
winter wonderland/sleigh ride
little drummer boy
o little town of bethlehem
twelve days of christmas
hark, the herald angels sing
o holy night
the christmas song
here comes santa claus
santa's beard
christmas in my hometown
away in a manger
silent night
home for the holiday
rudolph the red nosed reindeer
feliz navidad
jingle bell rock
ave maria

all by THE classic artists they are known by. and that is just the first cd. not kidding.

i love christmas. i love the holidays. i love the first fresh snow. i love the christmas lights. and i love the mood people seem to get swept up by during the christmas holiday. i love everything about christmas. except...that is...christmas songs. they drive me nuts. same ones over and over again. makes me cringe. i think...as i morph from a mild mannered middle aged midwestern guy to an old codger-ish grumpy grinch that it is only going to get worse.

i even hate...no...i shouldn't admit to hating that song here should i? no, i'll be nice. but i am not simply having any of it.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Chris,

Thanks. I guess I will write it down and check it out. Probably too late for this Christmas.

I love Christmas because it's about the ONLY time of year people are actually civil to each other. I can do without all the Christmas songs but there are a few I like by certain artists and as I've said before O Holy Night is my fave and I can listen to almost anyone sing it as long as they sing it like it was written and not put any personal flourishes to the song. Either a tenor or a baritone. Nice listening.

Thanks again.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Genuine_Indian_Guru » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:39 pm

Find a copy of The Monkees singing the spanish traditional carol "Riu Chiu". It is absolutely brilliant.
I go back so far... I'm in front of me!
Genuine_Indian_Guru
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:47 pm

guru?...GURU?...welcome back brother. you have been missed here.

have the best holiday. and really...it is great seeing you back
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:25 pm

G I G,

The Monkees singing in Spanish? Have not heard that one before!!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:18 am

Are their any more Christmas albums than Sinatras, Presleys or Spectors. Yes one more released two years ago by mr Bob Dylan - Christmas inte heart. That one is clockfull of seasonal classics arrangend in an oldfashioned way and garnished with what s left of Dylans voice these days. A very different but very enjoyable experience for the openminden listener. All of the money from that album goes to organsations caring about the homeless so it s a good cause
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby L Dozier » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:30 am

Girl4Beats wrote:...Outside of going to eBay, do you think FYE MIGHT/MIGHT have cd's of those? No I just answered my own questions. They are too old to probably even be available now. Now I'm bummed. Okay, so do you think FYE might have Josh Groban's cd from a few years ago? I am looking specifically for O Holy Night.

Don't buy cd's too often, can you guess?

I was in Best Buy a few days ago and they had a whole rack of Christmas CDs, including the one from Josh Groban. They really had a pretty good variety, probably some you've been looking for. I bought the new one from Carole King.

By the way, does anyone know why "My Favorite Things" shows up on so many Christmas albums? It isn't a Christmas song, makes no reference to Christmas, and aside from a line that mentions snowflakes and one that mentions mittens, it isn't even a winter-themed song. I don't know, it's just a pet peeve of mine. It's a good song, but it's not a Christmas song.
L Dozier

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:18 pm

L Dozier,

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let it Snow is also NOT/NOT a Christmas song but it gets played at this time of year also. Go figure!
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:53 pm

i never have trouble finding christmas music, as LD mentioned, from best buy to wally world, never mind the internet (like amazon), the stuff is out there...though the variety can sometimes be limiting

still love the brian setzer stuff: of all people around here, you, g4, should find those quite interesting, indeed !!

that, the chieftains and bruce cockburns album are all i really need most of the time...

i'm slowly getting used to stings album from last year...and, when i'm feeling a bit traditional, blind boys from alabama

merry christmas, all
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions