New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Postby Awesoman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:57 pm

According to Musictap, Paul McCartney's releasing his new album, My Valentine, on 2/7/12.

http://musictap.net/2011/12/14/tapsheet ... -12142011/
Awesoman

Re: New McCartney album, "My Valentine", scheduled for Feb 7

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:05 am

Ok there we go this is I suppose the great american songbook album with Diana Krall and band. Guess there are som originals to. Lookin forward to it ecspecially the deluxelimited version with dvd valentina cards and more that I defintively feel will be released
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:02 pm

Since jazz and tunes from the 40's is not my forte, I will have to wait and see if any tracks are played on the radio and reserve my judgement until then.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Personally I love some of the songs and artists connected with this genre not the least Frank Sinatra arguably the finest voice ever in popular music. His capitol recordings from the fifties are favourite listening for me equal to Macca eatle Dylan or any other rock-era artist. Also the song from Gerrwin, Hoagey Carlmichael or Cole Porter are rather outstanding.
Mostly rockartists effort in the genre are rather lacklustre but sometimes profitable affairs -read Rod Stewart who made millions with his great american songbookseries-cd that I only would use to throw Frisbee with.
Macca on the other hand has lot s of roots in this style - maybe even so the brittish more musichall influenced one. He has named Fran Sinatra as a favourite so I guess this can be a good thing. The Diana Krall connection also speaks of a serious effort. One good modern album in this style is Brian Wilson interprets Gerswin - a rather great combination of these two great composers
Last edited by mhnso on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Girl4Beats » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:06 pm

As I keep saying and will continue to say, this is a free country, so far, and to each his own or her own which I am told is improper English.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mhnso » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:47 am

Absolutely -everything comes down to different taste and preferences. I like music - period. If it connects with me it cinnects no matter style or genre. That one of the things I still like about the Beatles or Mccartney. Their music covers a lot of ground, Paul is a master when it comes to simple popsongs but have also released some pretty farout expiremental music, different form of classical music, all kind s of rockn roll, ballads and also some more vaudevillian jazz songs. Or the Beatles white album that includes such a spectrum of musical ideas and genres that it still amazes me
Anyway hope this Valentine album will be a good one for all of us
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby EddieV » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:11 pm

My thoughts on this album are mediocre. Of course I would listen this album and even buy it. But why reord something like this.
Is Macca buying some time because he hasn´t written new songs??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 pm

It does make you wonder. Didn't we read that he has wanted to do this project for a while? I'll buy it too, probably on the day it arrives. My anticipation will be high and I hope I'm not disappointed. I'd really prefer a normal album of new songs but I'll take what I can get. I haven't listened to Run Devil Run in years. Maybe it's time to break it out since it too was a deviation from the norm. If it's got Macca's signature on it I'll take my chances.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Eddie V and braveface,

Yeah, I wonder why Macca is releasing it also? I know he grew up with that kind of music but maybe he feels he needs to?

I will probably buy it also but again, I didn't buy his classical stuff. I guess I will need to hear it before I pass judgement?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby vintage61lefty » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:02 pm

" My Valentine ". Concord/Hear Music will release the new album produced by noted studio veteran, Tommy Lipuma, best known for his work with jazz greats , and features a guest appearance from Diana Krall.

McCartney said, "I worked with Diana Krall, and great jazz musicians like John Clayton. This is an album very tender, very intimate. This is an album you listen to at home after work, with a glass of wine or a cup of tea."

The involvement of "Hear" Music insures the release will be a big push item at Starbucks,

Cup of coffee anyone? I need another Vente drip like a hole...

"My Valentine" will feature classics/old standards that Paul likes. In other words, there will be a mix of classics and original material. Just try imagining a lot of songs that sound like "When I'm Sixty-Four, or " Let Em In".

Maybe Brother Michael ,Uncle Ernie, or Auntie Gin will make a cameo appearance?

This is WHAT I WANT>> He also promised a "heavy rock album". Perhaps nearer to his birthday?

Too bad that nothing rhymes with "When I 'm Seventy". Paul will turn 70-- June 18, 2012. \:d/

The man never fails to deliver! Ill give "Valentine" a chance.. hoo rah !
vintage61lefty

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions