Songs that have been too long in the setlist

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Songs that have been too long in the setlist

Postby mhnso » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:09 pm

The day dear old Macca put on a show with the song in the setlist you captured that day I promise to cross Abbey road naked shouting Hare Krishna - the whole day. And the next day - this will be broadcasted on the the world wide web

And hy didn t the little bugger include Mary had a Little lamb - this outstanding piece of modern entertainment . Why oh Why
Otherwise a decent set of songs that might have a rather odd effect on the crowds gathering at the show expecting a feelgoodfactory
Actually Macca played in my country Sweden couple of days ago in Stockholm. That s not where I live and I couldn t make i this time partly because I made this journey a couple of weeks ago to enjoy a twin show with Dylan and Knopfler. Dylan is the opposite to Mcartney when it comes to live work, his voice is rather eh strange these das but the show still was partly magical. My sources and the press in Sweden said the same about Mccas show he actually got fivestarrewiews in most papers.Something I doubt would have happened with the setlists I and most people here would like to se. To put it right - we belong to a minority of people but I think the numbers are growing and soon very soon we could fill every hole in Albert Hall
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:33 pm

whether it be an insane set list like that...or him doing a series of complete albums (which i and others have dwelled upon, as well), the effect would be to have a concert for mccartney fans...not beatle or general rock and roll fans...

the guy has been a solo artist, producing great, and i think (if given half a chance), enduring solo material (not to mention a plethora of beatle songs not sung in public...ever) that gets short shrift because of the equally insane need to not forget those very big shoes he once helped fill

i have no doubt that he recieved glowing reviews on his recent romp...even i, wishing to hear something more magical, do not deny the power and the beauty of all the songs he plays, and the way he and his band give it their all...he is a mastercraftsman and a premier showman...i'd be shocked if he didn' give 110% every time...and throw in a few surprises, too!

while not quite sold on 'mary...'...i did somehow miss 'oh woman oh why'...a great song i think he could still do
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:40 pm

you forgot Pretty Little Head.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Got to give him props. He is an outstanding performer and my sister who LOVES (and still does) Elvis saw Paul in concert in 2002 and said the man is magical and a great showman and knows how to work a crowd. I have to agree.

Too bad though that those great set lists will never come to fruition. (GIVE A GREAT BIG SIGH HERE).
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby lobbybobby » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:05 pm

Mr H,

Where's the love for Red Rose Speedway? I could see him start the show by himself seated at the piano and break into Single Pigeon. Big Barn Bed would be a nice addition to his rocking set.
a good friend of mine...follows the stars...
lobbybobby
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:12 am

you are, of course, quite right. LH...when i first thought of a great big macca-career spanning ode to his music, i thought very frequently that the concert should start with the ballad version of 'no more lonely nights', and end with the playout, albeit it a bit more 'rock'ier, version

and amidst all that, i definately thought the RRS medley, at least, should figure prominantly...

in revisiting that thought some time ago, i felt strongly both medleys should be present...and in my rush the other day to finally jot down a few idea...i did, in fact, forget that album and all its great songs

of course...there are too, too many great songs never played out at any concert by paul, and one could go on forever if we tried to somehow shoe-horn them all in in some way

however, i should point out, that at no time did i ever think about trying to fit in at least one song from each album..a quick re-read shows some albums are picked from a bit more healthily...and there are many, many songs i'd prefer to see than even some, but not all, of the beatle songs i mentioned : i added a beatle song or two more than i might usually do when thinking about this, just to keep the beatlenuts quiet :wink:

if the world were a more perfect place...what i'd love to see is him not repeat a single song for some period of time, to have smaller sets, in more intimate venues, and to have each set/small tour be built around fully playing out two full albums with all the b-sides and assorted songs pertaining to that specific era
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby mhnso » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 am

If the world was a perfect place Macca would come to my home this summer, sitting in my garden, strumming his guitar and play an intimate set of songs I request.
In the less perfect wold we have to cope with that the one remaining genius from the Beatles on his way to turn seventy plays concerts all over the world with a great band, giving three hour concerts with a focus of Beatles and the most welknown Wings/solostuff and also including on or two songs like Juniors farm and Come and get it.
I read a recent interwiew when someone asked him when he last listened to Juniors farm hen he started to include it in his sets- Answer was by the time of it s release. That explains some thing s don t think he or most other artists go back and listen much tp their own catalogue instead they move on.Guess that some of us are more familiar with his stuff than he is actually
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:02 am

You're probably right, mhnso. We sometimes fixate on songs that to Paul may have been the merest of musical whims; quick to come and soon forgotten by the artist himself. I wonder how many great songs he has forgotten about.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:07 am

I'd love him to play Ram from start to finish in a little theatre when it gets re-released next year. But it won't happen, of course.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm

Guys,

NONE OF THIS WILL HAPPEN. Mores the pity. It would be a great concert. No it would be an OUTSTANDING concert.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions