Non-Macca CD of the Moment

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: Non-Macca CD of the Moment

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 am

interestingly: i listen to far more music on youtube than i do on cd these days; love looking up artists i don't know, and searching through what's out there...finding stuff on artists i do know (live stuff...bootleg stuff)

it's ease of use and endless, fan driven emplacements make it the place to go on a hunt for all things these days.

with that and hulu ( and, of course, here :wink: )...i'm kinda lost in the jungle of the past, present and possible futures
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 pm

just discovered lucinda williams (who, quite honestly, has never had a bad album) latest album blessed. her incredibly literate (think bob dylan lyrically) country blues has always grabbed me from the first listen. no one i've ever heard (and that includes that john lennon fellow) writes lyrics expressing such pain, sorrow and anger as she does. just one listen to one song and you will know you are listening to a mastersongwriter.

on a seperate note, blues singer susan tedeschi (the passion of janice joplin) and guitar prodigy derek trucks (asked at 20 years old to play duane allman's slide guitar parts for the allman bros) have formed...(okay, in more way than one. they've been married for a while now)...the band tedeschi trucks band. the vocals and guitar work on this album are top notch. you don't have to be a virtuoso to make a great album. but it never hurts to be great at what you do.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:11 pm

i, personally, think derek trucks flew by prodigy a few years back and is definatively cruisin' the guitar master/virtuoso highway....but, hey...

could not possibly agree more, though, about everything else said about tedeschi and williams...
i've always said you're one smart cookie, there, big c
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:04 pm

4:13 dream by the cure

somehow, even being a bit of a fan, i never gave this one any attention.
but, on vacation a couple of weeks back, i watched the son of a friend cover 'underneath the stars' : i recognized it, but was unsure at the same time.
when i talked to the kid, he waxed poetic about the entire album.
as i said, it was one i'd out and out dismissed. so i pulled it out and began listening...and i find it a great addition to the canon of this band.
the track mentioned, 'the scream', 'it's over', 'sirensong', ''here. now.with you' plus all the others : great stuff, reminds of wildly creative albums like 'wild mood swing' and 'head on the door'
there are alot of old fogeys making some spectacular music
mr h atom

Postby mr h atom » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:25 am

feeling all sort of nostagic...

best of chicago, vol. 1

best of cat stevens

the essential bruce springsteen

neil young greatest hits

and stings first 3 solo albums 'dream of the blue turtles', 'nothing like the sun' and 'the soul cages'

need to get the new robbie robertson, the new tom waits, the new ry cooder...so much music, so little time
mr h atom

Postby chris » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 pm

i am embarrassed that i haven't mentioned this earlier. been absorbing this for nearly a year now. mumford and sons album sigh no more. a throwback to roots. rootier than root music. think...bronze age scottish highland music. awesome.

might be about a personal journey. maybe spiritual. maybe not. but a fine listen.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:14 pm

The Black Keys_El Carmino
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 pm

Someone I liked but haven't heard about until recently is Kate Bush. She just released a new CD which I have not heard. Any comments on the new material?
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Don't know about any of her new material but she's always had a beautiful and unique voice. She had a great...amazing, really...duet with Peter Gabriel back in the 80's (could it really have been that long ago?) Called "Don't Give Up". A most inspiring song. You should give that one a listen on youtube.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:23 am

yes, indeedy, C...it has been that long...what, wasn't that '86, i think: sledgehammer, mercy street, big time, red rain...

my personal favorite is (and i don't know why) 'we do what we're told'...

but kates singing with peter was a showstopper that has never left my soul...i've seen and heard others sing it with him, but none...no one...has ever captured what they did on that song

can rock and roll be moving...you betcha

the album is 'so'...and it is one of the best gabriel has ever done, and he's done some mighty terrific stuff

i think one of my most fondest musical wishes is that peter will finally make a real NEW album of original material...it's been so long...2002 he released 'up' :sad:
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists