Songs that have been too long in the setlist

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Songs that have been too long in the setlist

Postby maccastheman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:57 am

Paul has said before when he compiles a set list he imagines what it would be like for somebody seeing him for the first time - what songs would they want to hear? That's why he's ALWAYS going to play Hey Jude, Yesterday, and a few other "War Horses" as some fans call them. He said he would be disappointed if he went to see the Rolling Stones and they didn't play Satisfaction or Jumpin' Jack Flash. I think that's reasonable. Keep in mind every time you go to a Paul McCartney concert there are always lots of young (even some older) fans seeing him for the first time. I was frankly blown away when he opened his Kansas City show with Venus and Mars/Rockshow a couple of years ago. I think he tries to sneak a few in for us hard-core fans. He played Too Many People on the 2005 tour and he's added Nineteen Hundred Eighty-Five and Ms. Vandebilt in recent years. Not to metion Junior's Farm. I do wish he would rotate more recent songs into the set - maybe replace Dance Tonight with Ever Present Past or something like that. It's got to be hard coming up with a set list when you have so many songs. That's why I think it would be cool if he did a multi-night stand in certain cities emphasizing different phases of his career - one night of rare Beatle songs, one night of Wings songs, and one night of solo songs. If he advertised it that way nobody would be disappointed. Paul Weller did something like that a few years ago in New York City - One night of Jam songs, one night of Style Council songs, and one night of solo songs. And Steely Dan has been playing albums in their entirety on certain nights - Aja, Gaucho, The Royal Scam.
And in the end...
maccastheman
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:15 pm

Yeah, I'd love to see some freshening up. I don't know why Elanor Rigby gets played so much, never been great live for me. Drive My Car is a bit meh these days, too.

But it's not a McCartney show without Jet, BOTR and Let Me Roll it -- they're always ripped through brilliantly
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Greg,

I would prefer something other than Listen to what the man said. How about I've Had Enough, Girlfriend, Stranglehold, just to name a few.

Like I keep saying guys, who is going to tell Paul that he needs to include a bunch of these songs in his concerts. In fact, someone should tell him that he should do a whole tour playing and singing songs he has NEVER, EVER played in concert.

Do I hear any volunteers?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:22 pm

we all have, g4...for years...go back and read all about it !!

except for a few measly dribbles off 'is majesties plate...it's done absolutley no good...

we are all but lowly minions in the world of the high and mighty sir paul... ^:)^

but, you... :twisted: ??

you have have...talents...you know...torture :-BD ...

so...g'head...try it out...see if it'll get ya somewhere....i double dog dare ya
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:58 am

Atom,

In my younger days I would have taken that DOUBLE DOG DARE but lately I have not been feeling up to the challenges of double dares. But you know, if I KNEW Paul would actually read a letter from a fan, I might take you up on that. But knowing that someone in his organization reads all his mail and he only gets the juiciest tidbits, I doubt my letter would even reach his office door.

(GIVE A BIG SIGH HERE!) I guess we will just have to grin and bear it and be thankful he is still making music.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:26 pm

You'll just have to juice up that letter then, G4B; add some spice, you know...tart it up.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm

efghi,

I just might. Stranger things have happened.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:53 pm

tart?...like in sour?

oh...OH!...

you better let us read it first, G4B...this way we can make sure everything is...spelled correctly

sent paul a photo of my gams before...and when he took a gander...i was barred from being in the same state as him.

i have no doubt the results should be much kinder this time around.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Girl4Beats » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Chris,

Tart it up? Hmmm. Some words are forming in my mind. Let's see. Should that be: Dear Mr. McCartney, or Dear Sir Paul or just Dear Paul? A group of us on the McCartney Central Forum have gotten together and have thoughts that maybe you could do a concert of all the material you have NEVER sung in ANY concert before.

Good enough opening?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

much better than, say: "hi paul, my name is annie wilkes...and i'm your number one ffffaaaaaaannnnnnnn!!!!"

(somewhere...there is a guy named sheldon hobbling away...as fast as he can...)
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions