it's the end of the world as i know it

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: it's the end of the world as i know it

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Mr. H, do you mean to tell me there are other bands?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:17 am

i know...it's quite a shock isn't it !

but, it'll be okay...ot'll be okay....the beatles will always be one of, if not, the best, right ?
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby Girl4Beats » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:35 pm

Atom.

No I actually came out of the 1960's and moved on. I do like a lot of music out there now and I have heard one or two songs by REM that I like but can't name them. I like Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. I like John Mellencamp. I like Van Morrison although he is from the 60s. I just like music I can dance to and the couple songs by REM that I have heard I can't see dancing to them.

But yes I do prefer 60's music over the stuff out now. I prefer R&B from the 60's than the stuff that is out now. And no I can't quote any songs out now that I like. Am I defensive? Yes a bit. The music that passes for rock and roll now is pure crap! Let me shut up now.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:02 am

That's why I can't listen to the radio. There is good music out there, though, you just have to look for it. You're not likely to hear any through traditional mainstream sources like radio and t.v. these days.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:38 pm

efghji etc.

Okay. Call me clueless but where else can I hear music if not on the radio and the TV?
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 pm

tv on the radio...now there's a good group...

no prob, g4...i love van (have you ever of heard paolo nutini ?)...really like mellencamp (he's just done a musical with my all time favorite author, good ol' stevie king called, i believe, 'the ghost brothers of darkland county'...(er, somethin' like that)...can't wait for the soundtrack...t bone burnett is the producer/musical director...drool-drool-pant-pant !!)...

and i totally agree on R&B...my deep love for that form of music seems to have withered for anything after the early '80's...though there is this new guy...raphael saadiq (?)...seen him on pbs a few times, very retro, while very new-sh...

it is beyond nice to know that you have broader musical tastes, sorry if i offended one who should be obeyed...couldn't tell you about danceable odes by REM...me and dancing have this psychological block thing...remnants of a really bad 5th grade, schoolhouse experience

i have 12 stations preprogrammed in, only listen to my 2 NPR's alot..the rest i flip around alot: they suck most of the time, and are irritating the rest: will not do satellite radio for ethical reasons...so it is cd's for me, 98% of the time

my tastes are way too broad for radio, anyway...cheers
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:46 pm

G4B, tv's ok for hearing songs via commercials, movies, talk shows and the like, but whenever I hear something I like, I try to find it on You Tube and that can lead you to a lot of interesting things if you do a little exploring. Also, despite Mr.H's ethical dilemma, satelite radio is an excellent place to hear music that just doesn't see the light of day anywhere else.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Girl4Beats » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:45 pm

Atom and efghi,

My friends and family are still dragging me into the 21st century, kicking and screaming and swearing all the way. I just recently got a DVD player and have never used it. My nephew just set up my new 32" HD TV today. I just recently got a cell phone but ONLY for emergencies. I don't talk on it for pleasure. I have an iPod that my brother gave me years ago and have never used it. I guess I am very behind the times.

I still listen to the radio in the car and I listen to Classic Rock or the local 70's, 80's and 90's station. DC does not have an oldies station anymore but Baltimore does but I can't get that where I live. . . anymore. Hey! I even like some country songs.

I guess this forum is going to be a real musicial education for me.
Girl4Beats
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:11 am

i, too, am emerging into this brave new world...just got my 1st cell and use it almost exclusively as a house/emergency phone: only carry it with me when i'm not at work and not at home.

regift your dvd and buy a blu-ray, trust me, it'll go better with your hd tv, and the prices are getting more and more reasonable...

my ethical dilemma is the same as for why i don't have cable or sat. tv....i'm not ready to buy into the corporate mind think that is trying to kill regular tv and radio...

'course, they're easily winning that one, so who am i to bleed all over that fallen flag, anyway
mr h atom

Postby efghijiloveyou » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:38 pm

G4B, since you're new to the world of dvd ownership, I have to recommend getting all of Macca's live dvds- they are a must. Also, A Hard Day's Night and Help! are out there too. I'm somewhat of a technophobe, myself, but the 21st century has it's moments, I think. Mr. H, why do I get the feeling you have a garden and eat only what you grow?
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists