TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Re: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME

Postby bravefan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:24 am

Everybody's conceding the division title to the Phillies. I think someone forgot to tell Bobby Cox and the Braves about it. One game out and I believe they play 6 more times. I hope hope Bobby goes out a winner this season.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 am

no concession, here..far from it.

but, since i...um...cajoled our phillies friends at the beginning of the season, i felt it might be appropos to aknowledge that the the phillies finally managed to catch up to the real pros...

but, as i said...that fat lady has not sung...this is cox' last season, possibly/probably chippers, too...that's some powerful mojo that skips well with some really good talent, too

it ain't october yet
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby jkpiodsoea » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:48 pm

ImageYes, really. All above told the truth.
jkpiodsoea

Postby chris » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:33 pm

well, since it looks like the cubs aren't going to be winning that three-peat this year... :shock: ...i'm going to do something i don't usually do. genuinely root for another team.

a few years ago the white sox won the series. they had a great season. and they played really well when it counted. i tried to enjoy it. i pretended to bask in someone else's glory. i was able to too. for about 5 seconds. it just rang false for me. so i did what every decent guy did. i went to work after they won it, looked sox fans in the eye. and said congratulations...you guys deserved to win because you had the best team. (now, side note, i may not have received that same courtesy from sox fans had the cubs won, but who are we kidding? the cubs don't win)

i lived in the city proper (chicago) for 24 years. still live in the area. but i seem to moving more north. pretty close to wisconsin now, in fact. i discovered that cub tickets at wrigley are just impossible. but...getting cub tickets when they play the brewers in milwaukee were not. so i make the drive up north to milwaukee a few times a year. they have a great facility. the fans are great. they put up with us cub fans okay. so, i may not buy a brewer hat any time soon. but go brewers. if my team can't win...then the team that my neighbors to the north may as well.

last thing. hate to drop this bomb on you all now...i am concerned baseball might be a dying sport. more kids near me play soccer than baseball. and playoff ratings are way down. too bad too. probably my favorite sport. i played it everyday when i was a kid. and there is nothing...nothing...like the optimism i feel right before every season begins in april.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:21 pm

I know the feeling as only a fellow cub fan knows, Chris. I too live in Illinois and have made the journey to Milwaukee. However, I find some of the tailgaters to be quite rude (at least after a loss), but that's to be expected from that beer-swilling group. Ha! Even so, I'm rooting for the Brew Crew cause they're practically playoff virgins like the Cubs and I'm sick of the Cardinals...don't they ever go away? As for young people and baseball, it's too bad cause it's really an elegant sport from a more civilized age.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:19 pm

sigh. sorry brewer fans. i guess a team can't truly suck unless i root for them.

i find it hard... really, really hard to root for the cardinals. they've been opening up a can of whoop-ass on the cubs for so long...

but i'm watching the series. why wouldn't i? it's the american past time. since i don't have a vested interest in it...i'm going to hope for 7 games and get my moneys worth.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:20 pm

Just had to watch the Cardinals' Holiday score a run after getting on base when he was clearlt out by a mile at first...damn Cardinals don't need any gifts from that blind guy umping first.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:00 pm

it is with great trepidation and remorse...that i sadly admit...after watching last night's game 6 of the world series between the cardinals and the rangers that went into extra innings...that i may have actually wished the cardinals win. i can honestly say i've genuinely hoped for them to win fewer than five times in my life. they've been beating the cubs for so long, how could i possibly pull for the redbirds? i'll tell you why. selfishness. don't know if there is going to be any nba season. the bears are mediocre at best. so what do i want? one more game of baseball...thats what i want.

now that it is game 7? sigh. i usually pull for the national league around this time of year. but this year (damn you pujols, damn you larussa) i don't care. just make it a good game. maybe even give me a few extra innings to work with.

go rangers
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:27 am

...SPEAKING OF GAME 7'S...HOW 'BOUT THEM ROYALS....CAN THEY PULL IT OFF WEDNESDAY ???

gotta say...been a while since i watched alot/most of a post season...but this round /?

enjoying every moment.....
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby james1985 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:41 pm

No Beatles World Series playout...
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext