Martin Scorsese's "George Harrison: Living in the Material W

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Martin Scorsese's "George Harrison: Living in the Material W

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Martin Scorsese's "George Harrison: Living in the Material World" - exclusive trailer
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blog/article ... ailer.html
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Martin Scorsese's "George Harrison: Living in the Materi

Postby glassonion » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 am

Is it possible to know something about the content of the bonus CD from the deluxe edition?
glassonion

Postby chris » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:01 pm

i'm really looking forward to this. everybody has heard john's story. and many have heard paul's. but george was so underappreciated...i can't wait.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby efghijiloveyou » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Just saw the preview and I think it looks fab.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:03 am

It can only be great . Definitely worth the wait
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:12 pm

When I was programming my DVR for "George Harrison: Living in the Material World", I thought it was all in one film being broadcast over two nights. hen I find out it's in two parts. Those of you who didn't know Part 1 is HBO on Weds., Oct. 5 @ 8pm CT and 11pm. Part 2 on Thurs., Oct. 6 @ 8pm. I didn't see any listings of a later re-broadcast of part 2.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 am

I am the Paulrus wrote:When I was programming my DVR for "George Harrison: Living in the Material World", I thought it was all in one film being broadcast over two nights. hen I find out it's in two parts. Those of you who didn't know Part 1 is HBO on Weds., Oct. 5 @ 8pm CT and 11pm. Part 2 on Thurs., Oct. 6 @ 8pm. I didn't see any listings of a later re-broadcast of part 2.

Being repeated on Thurs., Oct. 13 @ 11:30am for Part 1 and Part 2 @ 1:05pm. Repeated @ 9pm for part 1 and part 2 @ 10:35pm on HBO Signature (HBOSIG).
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby Deebhoy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Seen it last night. Very good and I can understand why it was a bum numbing 3 and half hours long - George packed a lot into his life. The personality of the man really shines through. In some respects its its formulaic and really in two sections - with The Beatles and after the split although in true Scorsese fashion it jumps around quite a bit.

There's an amazing piece of footage at the start of Harrison and McCartney signing forms to dissolve The Beatles and Harrison saying he doesn't have clue what he's signing - I'd never seen it before. There are some areas I can nitpick over. George's childhood is too condensed into about with interviews with his brothers. It then moves on with McCartney talking about bringing George to meet Lennon etc. Also, apart from the Travelling Wilbury's, George's own music pretty much stops at 1974 and Dark Horse - pity as he released some cracking stuff after that especially 33 & 1/3 and George Harrison in 1979. It also tends to skip his marriage to Patti Boyd and focuses instead on the messy breakup. Some really insightful interviews with Eric Idle and Jackie Stewart and of course all the main people are there. Surprisingly Ringo comes across fantastically well as does Macca - although there is an hilarious clip of home footage where George asks Macca about his leather jacket. Not surprisingly there is a lot of focus on George's spritual side which is deftly handled.

No doubt the length of this documentary will put people off but if you're a Beatle fan you'll find it fascinating. A very good 7/10 from me.
Deebhoy

Postby chris » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 pm

nice review, deeb. thank you. always good to know what an actual fan thinks of it as opposed to a casual one
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby DigsY2K » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Anyone getting the DVD & Bonus Disc from the UK release. It's not going to be in the US till Spring and that's too long
DigsY2K

Next

Return to GEORGE