Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks : Stanley Cup Finals

What's your favourite team, player, passtime.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Boston Bruins vs Vancouver Canucks : Stanley Cup Finals

Postby gjh » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 am

gjh wrote:GO CANUCKS GO!!! :ymparty:

words escape me
:-??
gjh

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 pm

Boy a lot of sports people were sure counting on the Canucks to win. Even after the first two games where Boston did loose consider this.
Game One - Vancouver wins scoring the only goal of the game with 19 seconds left in the 3rd period.
Game Two - Vancouver wins again scoring some 11 seconds into the 1st overtime period. That means they were tied after three periods.

It was clear to me that Boston could have easily won either or both those first two games. But the media just was saying that Vancouver just hasn't turned on their full game yet. Come on. This is the finals, you go all out, every game with whatever you have. Yes the Canucks lead in so many categories during the regular season and had a dominating powerplay but that was then.

After four games Boston has totally shutdown their powerplay and have outscored Vancouver 14 - 5. The destroyed them in the two games in Boston. I was complaining about the one-sided broadcasters and even wrote to TSN and was corresponding with on of their "experts". Many of those broadcasters have jumped off the Canucks bandwagon. I was glad to hear one even say he totally misread Boston and their disciplined play.

The series now is tied 2 games a piece but the tide has turned. The momentum has change overwhelmingly in Boston's favor the second Rome took out Boston's Nathan Horton. All three Bruins lines are scoring. This is exciting hockey.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:59 pm

Well, going into the finals the Bruins were the underdogs and they finally did it. After 39 years, the Boston Bruins have won the Stanley Cup with a dominating 4- 0 shutout win in game 7. With all the rioting & looting that went on in Vancouver by a few idiotic fans, it's a sad note on a brilliant and exciting playoff run for both teams. There are a couple of idiotic players on the Canucks too, I don't have to say who, but a lot of those guys as well as their head coach are class acts. I mean that positively, not sarcastically.

In between all the negative rioting reporting, the CBC actually reported on the Bruins winning the cup. They acknowledged that not all Canadians were rooting for Vancouver and that Bruins have a gigantic fan base here. Da, no kidding. Last time I checked it's a democracy we can cheer for whom we wish :)

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas wins the playoff Most Valuable Player award as he and the Bruins set more new records. Here are just a few new records:
- fastest 4 goals in a game 4:14
- the only team in NHL playoff history to win three game seven games
- most shots faced in the playoffs by one goalie
- most shots faced in the finals by one goalie
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby gjh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:15 pm

gjh wrote:
gjh wrote:GO CANUCKS GO!!! :ymparty:

words escape me
:-??

That last post I made.."words escape me".. was in reference to the 8-1 shalacking the bruins layed on the canucks in game three ..I kind of sat there,mouth agape, watching the spectacle unwravel before me on tv...it was quite evident to me at that point that Boston had a far superior team and the knuckelheads didn't stand a chance!..out played,out hustled..every battle for the puck was won by Boston.Frankly i'm embarrassed how poorly the canucks played.Also the riots that ensued in Vancouver after the game just added insult to injury for most of us over here.Man when this team wants to stink a joint out they do it in grand fashion!!
Hats off and congratulations to the Boston Bruins!!...the better..[far better]..team won
:ymapplause:
gjh

Postby Tiger » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Congrats to Mike and any other Bruins fans. Tim Thomas apearently went to my high school's rival school. Once I learned that, I joined the Bruin's bandwagon for the finals. That and after "the bite" I think most hockey fans were rootin' for the B's. :-BD
Tiger

Postby savillerowdie » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:59 pm

Mike, glad to see your hockey tastes are as impeccable as your musical tastes.
I'm from Boston, so obviously thrilled at the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup again. I'm old enough to remember the Orr/Esposito era cup wins in 70-72 and the town is just as excited now as it was back then. This town has been spoiled with an embarrassment of championship riches, with all four major sports teams winning titles in the last six years.
You'd think that might lessen the joy of winning the Stanley Cup, but not a chance. I'll admit to being a bit of a bandwagon jumper here, but I am thrilled mostly for the hard core Bruin fans who have suffered through 39 years of close calls, near misses and 'not even close' years.
Also good to see one of the original 6 win again, like the Black Hawks did last year. It's enough to make me wish for the Maple Leafs to get their act together and join the rest of the original 6 in having won the cup in the last 20 years.

Hey, how about a "name the team' contest for the Winnipeg franchise? I'll go with either the 'Winnipeg Wingspans' or the 'Manitoba Maccas'.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Mike » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:18 pm

The nice thing is they could have done it last year, they were that good but a few key injuries, then the learning experience of loosing to Philly last year. This year's run was amazing and to think everyone is locked in except for Ryder, Marchand & Kaberle. My guess is they let Ryder go, sign Marchand and try to fit Kaberle in the salary cap. He won the cup he never would have if he stayed with Toronto so perhaps he'll sign with Boston for less. Players have done that in the past and he seems to have that kind of character.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby blmeanie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Actually Mike, I think each player gets the cup for a day, not 2 weeks. Travel time not included of course.
blmeanie

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:17 am

Yep, it's a day or so. For sure going to attend public celebrations locally for Horton & Paille. May try to get to Seguin's as well. Going to enjoy the years he'll be a Bruin. We are anxiously awaiting our Stanley Cup Champions gear ordered from shop.nhl.com minutes after the cup was won.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Previous

Return to Sports & Recreation