How a new album should be

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: How a new album should be

Postby ahawk66 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:33 pm

I think I come from the camp that feels that "Chaos" was better than "MAF", not by much, but something about it really resonated with me. I kind of like the muted feel of it. It meshes together pretty well, and I think Godrich did a good job of pulling out a good album from our boy. ... And I can't really put my finger on what about "MAF" doesn't quite settle with me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a fine album, but I never took to "Nod Your Head" or "Gratitude" at all, and I don't like the keyboard-sounding piano on a lot of it. Maybe it's that it sounds less cohesive than "Chaos". I don't know. All that said, I'd take another "MAF" any day. I'm just nit-picking because I think he's been on a helluva run the last 10-15 years ("Driving Rain" excepted, although I know that might start another discussion... :-D )
ahawk66

p.s.

Postby ahawk66 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:35 pm

...and as for the new albums, I'm one who would love a subdued, serious acoustic guitar-driven album (a la Johnny Cash with Rick Rubin), but I'm still very happy that I'll have the standards album and the "rockier" one to listen to. I welcome any new material enthusiastically...
ahawk66

Postby mr h atom » Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 pm

how the new album should be...is...released next week: anything less is insufficient !

ah, disappointed again, paulie !!
Last edited by mr h atom on Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby bravefan » Thu May 19, 2011 7:48 am

We agree on that one. The wait for new tunes has been too long.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Beatleken » Sat May 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Howdy James.

Apologies for the delay in getting back. I've had another listen to Creation and I'm struggling to change my mind. The tone of the album is just very melancholy, there's a lot more shade than light, which isn't Mr McCartney's normal mood of choice.

Minor chords prevail everywhere and in some cases, it sounds like his heart isn't really in it. Now I know that sounds a bit iffy but that's just way I hear it. There again, one man's fish is another man's poisson. Honestly, though, it just sounds slightly anti-Macca. Now, he might like that kind of raw-chiselled approach but I don't think it's a good fit. And I don't think Godrich was a good fit either.

Of course, I might be totally off base with this but you won't hear him playing many (if any) songs from Creation on tour. I'm not suggesting that's because he thinks they tanked. But then again...
Beatleken

Postby mr h atom » Sun May 29, 2011 2:45 am

allow me to be so bold as to defend this album, beatleken.
i think the very things you sight as references as to its lessened impact are the very things that make it unique and special.

artists often create their art from the inspiration out of their daily lives and experiences...i think it might help to understand the full emotional impact of this album to quickly remember exactly where mccartney was in his own life, what sort of personal issues may have influenced every aspect of the writing and the production, and you may quickly see that is may very possibly be his most authentic, of-the-moment album of his entire career, solo or otherwise.
song for song, this album reeks of where he was, who he was with, (who he was not with, both by choice and/or otherwise).

both because of his age (clearly one of the reasons for the rather autumnal feel) and his personal circumstances (heather ? linda ?? his kids ), this album of songs quite literally would not have been the same if it had been attempted any other way.

i, too, at times, when spinning this one on, miss the variety i'm accustomed too from a mccartney album of songs, but i'm very comfrotable with the results because it clearly shows him grappling seriously with issues from start to finish. and in doing so, he takes us on a musical journey quite unlike any other he had so far done.

as for nigel, i cannot disagree more; he is the perfect choice for this album; great enough together that i'd love to see them work together again.

i hope you keep trying...but listen instead with an ear to what the artist is telling you, as opposed to what you might wish was there. this is a very substantial release with mccartney having a quite a lot to say.

...but, then again, what do i know: i still think 'mccartney 2' is one of his best ever, right ?
mr h atom

Postby Beatleken » Sun May 29, 2011 8:43 am

Fair enough guys.

Here's one for you. What kind of topics do you think Macca biographers have missed in the last 15 years? I think it has been an amazingly creative period most writers just seem to concentrate on his Fab and Wing years.

Since The Beatles Anthology, he has produced an incredible body of work, not to mention the tours. Any thoughts anyone?
Beatleken

Postby mr h atom » Sun May 29, 2011 4:46 pm

well, mccartney, while still hugely popular, is not among the type of current star that the media, in their zeal to sell-sell-sell (that is half their job: always has been, alway will be) would turn to often, especially thoughtfully.

so we have only has thoughts to rely on, and those are best exemplified by what he puts on the albums/into the songs.

i've often thought that nearly every album from T.O.W. on is alot more mature and thoughtful than most that came before (not that he was/is as much of a lightweight as some fans & critics have often made him out to be).

this would seem as no surprise as he would now (then) have been well into his 30's and spending as much time raising kids as raising he...ck.

you are quite right, it has been an amzingly creative, and rather feep period, as life itself takes its toll, on he and his friends/family, he has responded to lifes everpresent march by being more and more thoughtful and reflective.

as to what 'biographers' have missed...well, just about everything of signifigance: they've dwelled almost solely upon the brash and the harsh; whether death, aging or loss.

which, in fairness, is what they do with just about everybody, and, again, almost always have done so.

the biographers are just an extension of the media, and the media, while not perfect, live within the same economic constraints all the rest of us do. if it does not sell, they will, more often than not, not go there.

justin beiber & his girlfriend sell...prince william and princess kate sells...paul mccartney ?
not so much, anymore.
mr h atom

Postby Corvair » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:48 pm

I'm looking forward to Paul's next album, even a covers collection, particularly if he produces it himself. Sounds as if he may include a few new originals, too, much like the Run Devil Run album.

Beatleken wrote:...Honestly, I don't think some of the songs on Chaos are finished. There is a definite germ of some good ideas but they're half baked. Musically, the album is pretty downbeat, not helped by the over-use of piano rather than guitar...Also, there wasn't enough room in the studio for Godrich's ego and Macca's. I know some people said that would be a good thing and Godrich would push him but the results don't stand up to that kind of scrutiny.
Memory Almost Full knocks Chaos into the proverbial cocked hat...

Well, I don't see many opinions regarding Chaos with which I agree, but here's one. How refreshing!

After almost six years trying to figure it out, I'm still mystified at the praise heaped on this album. A couple of the songs, I think, are almost comically bad, among Paul's flabbiest. Won't say which, lest I be shunned forever.
Corvair

Postby Beatleken » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:33 am

Well thangyouverymooch Corvair.

I was beginning to doubt me muffs in the face of all these (excellent) observations re Chaos. But I have to stand by what I said.

The easiest thing would be to take me usual place on the chorus line and say all the right things.

But there is definitely an emperor has no clothes feel to Chaos.

I'm all for experimentation and a slight change in direction. He's done it plenty of times in the past with mixed results. But Chaos has very little creative empathy with Paul's own personality.

Compare it to Electric Arguments which is creatively charged with amazing inspiration. No contest, I reckon.

Of course, the easiest thing would be to ask the man himself. Maybe he really likes it. but my gut instinct says he won't be taking it to any desert island.

Incidentally, Macca 1&2 remixes are nothing short of brilliant.
Beatleken

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions