The name "Beatles"

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

The name "Beatles"

Postby hilda » Mon May 23, 2011 7:45 am

There have been several theories about the origin of the name.
Wells' book Kipps is a warning of problems created by distributing wealth to people with no "cash handling skills". Kipps inherites a fortune of which, in true Beatles style he is immediately defrauded; a society which makes its poor rich makes its criminals rich.
Kipps is saved by a lucky investment in the first play of a flambouyant, carefree and sensationally anarchic character called Chitterlow. The global popularity of the play rests entirely on one stupendously asinine scene of a man with a beetle stuffed down his shirt:

"That was two years ago, and, as the whole world knows, the Pestered Butterfly is running still. It was true. It has made the fortune of a once declining little theatre in the Strand; night after night the great beetle scene draws happy tears from a house packed to repletion, and Kipps--for all that Chitterlow is not what one might call a business man--is almost as rich as he was in the beginning. People in Australia, people in Lancashire, Scotland, Ireland, in New Orleans, in Jamaica, in New York, and Montreal, have crowded through doorways to Kipps' enrichment, lured by the hitherto unsuspected humours of the entomological drama. Wealth rises like an exhalation all over our little planet, and condenses, or at least some of it does, in the pockets of Kipps."
hilda

Re: The name "Beatles"

Postby gjh » Mon May 23, 2011 8:07 pm

I'm getting older and do forget at times and correct me if I'm wrong
But "Beatles" was a nod to Buddy Hollies Crickets
and then as the story goes John has a dream of a man on a flaming pie saying "you shall be Beatles with an "A"
or something like that..
i'm sure you all know this..i'm in awe of everyones knowledge about everything Beatles and Paul on this site!! ^:)^
(:
gjh

Re: The name "Beatles"

Postby hilda » Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 pm

I personally was not a big fan of the Beatles; it just struck me whilst watching the 1941 Kipps film the other day. I vaguely remember The Crickets theory from years ago but were the individuals really Buddy Holly fans? Are any of their songs Buddy Holly influenced? I don' t know.
There is another film theory about "The Wild One". I saw this film several years ago but nothing about the Beatles struck me. Apparently it was the name of a rival motorcycle gang beaten up to make the Brando figure look good. This gang had split from Brando' s and the name was suggested by Stuart Sutcliffe.
hilda

Return to Paul as a Beatle