How a new album should be

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

How a new album should be

Postby mhnso » Wed May 11, 2011 3:21 am

I have a dream that Pauls next release will be an instant classic filled with stunning new songs and absolutely no fillers.
I wish he uses some guestmusicians but plays most of the instruments himself - for some strange reasons I think his solooutputs sound more organic and warm
I wish the songs are personal and reflects both his age and experiences - not in a nostalgic but reflective way
I wish pauls melodoc gifts shines with some simple beatiful melodoies - like Little willow or to much rain
I hope he bring in an outside producer that can challenge him out of the comfort zone - like ong chaos and creation
I wish there will be another Hey Jude or Maybe Im amazed - probably strhetching the hopes a bit to far
I wish he stays out of current trends and do what he does best - presents timeless songs in simple but still interestin arrangements
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Re: How a new album should be

Postby EddieV » Wed May 11, 2011 7:41 am

For me a mix of rock songs and ballads. I haven´t really thought how it should be. Hopefully more interessting than the Fireman album, which was boring in general.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bravefan » Wed May 11, 2011 8:17 am

At this point I'm just starved for some new tunes. It's time. Most likely he'll have some wonderful melodies. He'll probably also have a couple of fillers. Bring it on anyway. I'm ready!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jgkojak » Wed May 11, 2011 11:56 am

MAF was about as close as we will get -- only one dud (Gratitude) - and that was more a production issue. (Also, would prefer he used real instruments instead of keyboards throughout, but watcha gonna do?)

Am thinking he's probably due for a turkey. Hope I'm wrong...
~X(
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed May 11, 2011 10:32 pm

jgkojak wrote:Am thinking he's probably due for a turkey. Hope I'm wrong... ~X(

he might ordinarily be due for a clunker, as his last few releases have been very good. however, paul seems to do something he did not do as a younger fellow. that is, take his time. he finishes his songs when he occasionally did not in the past. and he weeds out filler, given the extra time to record.

here is to hoping you are wrong, jg :salute
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Beatleken » Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 pm

MAF was as good as it's been for a long time.
The songs sounded pretty well rounded and captured different moods.
You couldn't say that about Driving Rain or Chaos and Creation. On Chaos it felt like the songs melodically weren't finished, as if Nigel Godrich had driven him into a Radiohead cul-de-sac and then thrown away the keys.
MAF was a massive improvement and I thought the Firemen stuff was a quirky revelation. Betcha John would have loved it.
Fingers crossed Macca's next offering maintains that kind of momentum, although I'm not wild about an album of covers.
I'
Beatleken

Postby EddieV » Mon May 16, 2011 2:58 pm

Beatleken wrote:MAF was as good as it's been for a long time.
The songs sounded pretty well rounded and captured different moods.
You couldn't say that about Driving Rain or Chaos and Creation. On Chaos it felt like the songs melodically weren't finished, as if Nigel Godrich had driven him into a Radiohead cul-de-sac and then thrown away the keys.
MAF was a massive improvement and I thought the Firemen stuff was a quirky revelation. Betcha John would have loved it.
Fingers crossed Macca's next offering maintains that kind of momentum, although I'm not wild about an album of covers.
I'

Me neither!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:00 pm

Beatleken wrote:On Chaos it felt like the songs melodically weren't finished, as if Nigel Godrich had driven him into a Radiohead cul-de-sac and then thrown away the keys.

Not a Radiohead fan, then? :lol:
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Beatleken » Tue May 17, 2011 8:55 am

I am up a Radiohead fan to a point but it's hardly music to make you sing and dance. I just felt Godrich was an unusual fit. Honestly, I don't think some of the songs on Chaos are finished. There is a definite germ of some good ideas but they're half baked. Musically, the album is pretty downbeat, not helped by the over-use of piano rather than guitar.
The Firemen stuff with Youth was a much better symbiosis. Also, there wasn't enough room in the studio for Godrich's ego and Macca's. I know some people said that would be a good thing and Godrich would push him but the results don't stand up to that kind of scrutiny.
Memory Almost Full knocks Chaos into the proverbial cocked hat.

So that's my verdict and I'm sticking to it.

Until tomorrow when I reserve the right to change my mind.
Beatleken

Postby james1985 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:57 pm

Beatleken wrote:I am up a Radiohead fan to a point but it's hardly music to make you sing and dance. I just felt Godrich was an unusual fit. Honestly, I don't think some of the songs on Chaos are finished. There is a definite germ of some good ideas but they're half baked. Musically, the album is pretty downbeat, not helped by the over-use of piano rather than guitar.
The Firemen stuff with Youth was a much better symbiosis. Also, there wasn't enough room in the studio for Godrich's ego and Macca's. I know some people said that would be a good thing and Godrich would push him but the results don't stand up to that kind of scrutiny.
Memory Almost Full knocks Chaos into the proverbial cocked hat.

So that's my verdict and I'm sticking to it.

Until tomorrow when I reserve the right to change my mind.

Going to have to respectfully disagree! I think the results do stand up -- I think Godrich is the reason, for me, that it's the only McCartney album -- bar BOTR and Ram -- without any filler at all. It sounds like a man in his mid-60s, which is a good thing.

I'm just curious what songs you think aren't finished? Because that's a criticism people throw at a few albums I love -- like Mac I and Wild Life -- and I understand why, but I don't for CACITBY. I'm just interested.

Opinions, eh?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions