Beatles Fest Fans Vote On Albums & Songs (1st time in 8 yrs)

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Beatles Fest Fans Vote On Albums & Songs (1st time in 8 yrs)

Postby linclink » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:26 pm

http://www.beatlesnews.com/news/the-bea ... rites.html

Interesting stuff...Albums wise- The top five are no surprise, but I'm kind of surprised to see "Revolver" in 5th out of those. Nice to see "Let It Be" getting some nice perks amongst the also-rans in 6th, but surprised to see "Magical Mystery Tour" finishing all the way down at 10th!?! And while I love the songs on "Yellow Submarine"- it's a 4 song EP of old new tracks, a couple re-releases & soundtrack music, and this beat "Please Please Me" (which may be my least fave of the original full length albums, but it's also either the greatest, or as great a debut as has ever been released.)...Needless to say I don't think "1", or "Love" should have been in contention...just the original releases (counting MMT & YS for me)...
Songs wise- great to see Harrison get 3 songs in the top ten (equally sad to see no others make it later though), and the other big news is that Lennon owns the 11-20 spots almost completely...Lennon-McCartney is pretty even for the top ten, and the last five, but the middle ten is almost all Lennon.
Actually if you look at the Top 7 (as opposed to Top Ten) George Harrison has 3 of the Top 7, and is the most dominant writer in the Top 7...when you consider that he only got to write a few dozen songs as a Beatle, that's a pretty amazing proportional popularity...and yeah I know he finished 5th, 6th & 7th in the top 7, but still, very impressive. I'm just sorry the rest of his great output was noticed in the later parts of the poll, but shoot there's a ton of songs that I wish had made it and the fact is you can only have 25 songs in a to 25 song list...

"Fest fans vote Abbey Road and In My Life as favorites

The results of the Fest for Beatles Fans' first comprehensive survey in eight years to find out fans Favorite Beatles Albums and Songs are now in, according to Mark Lapidos of The Fest for Beatles Fans. Nearly 4,000 Beatles fans voted for their favorites.

In the 2011 Fest for Beatles Fans Survey, Abbey Road has been voted Favorite Beatles Album and In My Life has been voted Favorite Beatles Song.

The Top Two Albums were far ahead of #3, and #3, 4, & 5 were well ahead of the rest of them. Every Beatles Album that was ever made into a CD plus all of the early U.S. albums and almost every post 1970 Album received votes. If the response "All of Them" counted as a vote, it would have been at #7!

Top 15 Beatles Albums:

1. Abbey Road
2. The Beatles (White Album)
3. Rubber Soul
4. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band
5. Revolver
6. Let It Be
7. With the Beatles
8. A Hard Day's Night
9. Help!
10. Magical Mystery Tour
11. the Beatles Love
12. Beatles for Sale
13. Beatles 1
14. Yellow Submarine
15. Please Please Me

The Top Beatles Songs were a little more predictable. Looking over the Top 25, there are three George songs in the Top 7. Paul (primary writer) has 4 in the Top 10 and 7 in the Top 25, while John (primary writer) has 2 in the Top 10, but 13 in the Top 25. An astonishing 193 songs were voted for. That is over 90% of their total number of songs.

Many fans had trouble picking just one out. As with the albums, if the response "All of Them" counted, it would have been #13. The Top 25 songs come from 11 different albums.

Top 25 Beatles Songs:

1. In My Life
2. Hey Jude
3. A Day in the Life
4. Let It Be
5. Here Comes the Sun
6. Something
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Yesterday (Tie)
8. Strawberry Fields Forever
10. Blackbird
11. All You Need Is Love
12. Dear Prudence
13. Across the Universe
14. I Want to Hold Your Hand (3 Way Tie)
14. If I Fell
14. Come Together
17. Norwegian Wood
18. I Am the Walrus
19. Tomorrow Never Knows
20. Golden Slumbers Medley
21. Help! (5 Way Tie)
21. Here, There and Everywhere
21. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
21. Revolution
21. Long and Winding Road

The survey was held on The Fest For Beatles Fans Facebook page from March 18-27, 2011.

As a comparison, here is the Top 20 songs as voted by fans at the Fest in 2003:

1. In My Life
2. Hey Jude
3. Let It Be
4. A Day in the Life
5. Yesterday
6. Strawberry Fields Forever
7. Help!
8. Here Comes the Sun
9. Here There and Everywhere
10. If I Fell (4 Way Tie)
11. I Am the Walrus (4 Way Tie)