ban guns!

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

ban guns!

Postby nicholeantoinette » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:43 pm

...that's really all I wish to say around this time of year. [V]
nicholeantoinette

Postby Ram1 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:53 pm

Being from the Maryland/DC area, I definitely know the feeling right now, Nich. I'm paranoid to even go to the store. However, I don't think banning all guns is the answer. Tough laws need to be enacted so that the purchasing of firearms is not so easy. Right now, just about any Joe off the street can buy a gun. Sure, firearm dealers do their little "background check", but it's really a total joke. Any mentally ill/psychotic person can lie and say they are perfectly stable, and purchase a gun. It's unreal. I HIGHLY suggest to everyone to see Michael Moore's new documentary coming out on Friday called "Bowling for Columbine." I have a feeling this film is gonna open a lot of people's eyes.
Ram1

Postby Brains » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:12 pm

Why should anyone, even a stable person, have to own a gun? There are two main reasons to own a gun (and a sexually perverted one [:o)]): shooting at cans, target practice etc, and threatening or actually shooting people. The target practice can be done on a shooting range, were there's supervision and professionals checking everything. Outside that range, you shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun! It's very simple!
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby nicholeantoinette » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:25 pm

I agree w/ Brains. In an evolved society, there is no real need for a gun.
nicholeantoinette

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:49 pm

Why should a person own a gun? Because this is America, a very violent society, and people should have the right to own guns for their own protection. Like I said in my previous post, it's the laws that need to be changed to make it LESS ACCESSIBLE for just ANYONE to buy firearms. I mean don't get me wrong, I think people like Charlton Heston are complete boobs. "NRA Forever!" Give me a break. But at the same time, with all the crazy wackos that America unforunately produces, people need to be able to protect themselves and their families. I agree with you guys, I wish there wasn't a need for guns in our society. AT ALL. But it's easy for us to be the little hippie Beatles fans and say "ban guns!" You have to be realistic. This is a violent society. I believe if a person wants to protect their family with a firearm, let them. The reality is, America will NEVER ban guns. Never.
Ram1

Postby megs » Wed Oct 09, 2002 6:39 pm

quote:Right now, just about any Joe off the street can buy a gun. Sure, firearm dealers do their little "background check", but it's really a total joke. Any mentally ill/psychotic person can lie and say they are perfectly stable, and purchase a gun.
good point, and also another thing that is stupid is, well once my cousin went into a store to buy a hunting gun for target practice and such (he's 13 yrs old) and when he went up to the register to pay for it the guy asked him if he was 18 and my cusin said "no, im 13" and the guy at the register just said "hmm close enough" and just let him buy the gun even though he was 5 yrs under age[:I]
megs
Supporter
Supporter

Postby nicholeantoinette » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:04 pm

quote:Originally posted by Ram1
But it's easy for us to be the little hippie Beatles fans and say "ban guns!" You have to be realistic. This is a violent society.

I guard against the tendency to think as a "little hippie Beatle fan" all the time 'cause I know modern folks won't take me seriously if I am perceived that way. But the fact is, eradicating guns levels the playing field @ long last. Don't you see? W/o them, we are ALL much safer.

Don't the cops in England use pepper spray? What is wrong w/ that?
nicholeantoinette

Postby Ram1 » Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:10 pm

quote:I guard against the tendency to think as a "little hippie Beatle fan" all the time 'cause I know modern folks won't take me seriously if I am perceived that way.

I hope you know that wasn't a jab, Nich. I wasn't directing that towards you personally.

quote: Don't you see? W/o them, we are ALL much safer.

Don't the cops in England use pepper spray? What is wrong w/ that?

What's wrong is that it ain't gonna happen, sister. Like you, I wish there wasn't a need for guns. Heck, that Maryland sniper is literally right up the highway from me. I'm afraid to even go to the local Wal-Mart. But as long as the wacko bad guys are carrying uzi's and rifles, our cops have to carry guns too. It's so deeply sad, but it's a reality.
Ram1

Postby nicholeantoinette » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:22 pm

I understand your perspective & I also know that you weren't specifically calling me a "little hippie Beatles fan" even though I am...well, maybe not the "little" part. But I've been called a dreamer, an optimist, etc. In My Life.

I think arming ourselves against "them" only perpetuates the cycle...time will reveal how this all works itself out from an evolutionary perspective. I have no doubt that there will be peace on Earth.
nicholeantoinette

Postby Ram1 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:33 pm

quote:I have no doubt that there will be peace on Earth.

I totally agree with you. It will happen.
Ram1

Next

Return to JOHN