His last big song

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Re: His last big song

Postby bonovox66 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:56 am

EddieV wrote:Some of his best albums has been released the 20 years, very even and homogenic albums. My opinion is just that he has not wriiten a real classic since Coming Up, you kow a really standout track. Maybe No More LOnely Nights.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to go back to Sing The Changes. I know it is not an official McCartney release, but based on the reaction it got at the shows I attended this song was big.

For a full chart history you can go over to Wikipedia. Some of the chart positions may suprise you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_McCartney_discography

Excellent point on The World Tonight video.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:27 am

"...but based on the reaction..."

yes, indeed !

we tend to forget, there are peope who still by records/cds (whatever) and actually listen to new stuff...the last biggest song will always bee the one that resonates well with those who've listened to the new stuff

all these albums have good-great songs, anybody with a brain (and that is most of us here, too) would love to see more new stuff played: maybe (EEGADS !) support a new album when touring !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:09 pm

I think his last 'big' song was Coming Up. Ebony & Ivory, Say Say Say & No More Lonely Nights were big at the time, but they don't get airplay anymore.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:36 pm

Hmm....I hate to think this..but...if we're talking "classic"....I'm afraid it's Maybe I'm Amazed. There have been lot's of other great tunes of course...but if we're talking a song that can stand up to any other song considered a classic....Satisfaction, Starway, etc etc....it's Maybe I'm Amazed.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Awesoman » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:50 pm

2 of 3 wrote:Hmm....I hate to think this..but...if we're talking "classic"....I'm afraid it's Maybe I'm Amazed. There have been lot's of other great tunes of course...but if we're talking a song that can stand up to any other song considered a classic....Satisfaction, Starway, etc etc....it's Maybe I'm Amazed.

Yeah, I could go with that. "Maybe I'm Amazed" is one of the few (maybe only) post-Beatles songs that could easily stand up to his best work in said band. Although I'd wager that "Calico Skies" is probably the best song he's done in the last 20 years, for what it's worth.
Awesoman

Postby EddieV » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 am

2 of 3 wrote:Hmm....I hate to think this..but...if we're talking "classic"....I'm afraid it's Maybe I'm Amazed. There have been lot's of other great tunes of course...but if we're talking a song that can stand up to any other song considered a classic....Satisfaction, Starway, etc etc....it's Maybe I'm Amazed.

I don´t agree what about Band On The Run, Jet
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:41 am

on the philosophical side, given that limited premise presented by 2 and approved by awes, not even M.I.A., B.O.T.R. or Jet would qualify as an all time , stratospheric great that the enduring masses of rock fans will drool over, in the way they do 'satisfaction' or 'stairway to heaven'..very few are: we're talking clarion calls to the halls of rock 'n roll valhalla, there....

but in the more generic, everyday greats, B.O.T.R., Jet and many others would more than suffice as being great songs

and that goes for many of the tracks off most of his albums from then until now

for me, right now...the last, great song was 'sing the changes'...i still have that one run through my mind, and it compels me to pull out that great record and spin it on !

as always, like most of his work, much to my delight

the world is a better place with a great, big song like 'sing the changes', and that is good enough, good enough for me
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby ahawk66 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am

"The World Tonight" really grew on me over the years. I think it was a song in a film around then, too, starring Billy Crystal (am I wrong?). Forgot (fortunately) about the vid. But that could've charted better. ...I remember when "Dance Tonight" came out. I thought the big PR push behind the new album and a video starring Natalie Portman, not to mention that it was a really simple and catchy tune, might somehow push that into the top 20. Charts are different than they once were, too, but it's always been hard for older acts to crack them consistently. But, that was a nice song that was easy to hum and tap your feet to.
ahawk66

Postby bonovox66 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:33 pm

I believe you are thinking about the film Father's Day. never saw it but the song Young Boy was used in the previews for it. Not sure if World Tonight was in that film. But Young Boy was a great song and had a lot of potential of being a "big" song. Not sure why it wasn't.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:26 pm

This a matter of semantics. When I talk about a big or great song I'm reffering to its quality, not its place on the charts or its popularity. Considering that, I think these are big and great songs (since Coming up):

Tug of war (I just love it)

Here today

Wanderlust (One of my all-time favorites, specially the Give my reagards to Broad Street album version)

We got married

All my trials

Mistress and maid

The lovers that never were

Cosmically conscious

The world tonight

Somedays

Calico skies

Heaven on a sunday

Heather (Apparently I'm the only one who loves this one. Come on! Musically speaking, it's just beautiful, it has all McCartney's style)

How kind of you

Jenny Wren

Mr. Bellamy

House of wax

Sing the changes

Dance 'till we're high

Sun is shinning
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA - all discussions