The Beatles stopped on top

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Re: The Beatles stopped on top

Postby EddieV » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:22 pm

I think a reunion would not have happened before 1994-95 when the Anthology was made. Paul and John would have stayed in contact and their relationsship would gradually improove.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby edrebber » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Mike wrote:What would they have done if they kept going? I do think a lot of great music would have come out, look what we saw from George, John and of course Paul, and with a little help from his friends Ringo since the breakup.

The big question is would they have the legendary following they now and perhaps always will have? You don't see Rolling Stone conventions on many continents, every year. Would this site and many other Beatles-related fan sites be in existence? Who knows. Perhaps when we perfect mult-dimensional transportation we could actually see the time line in which The Beatles stayed together for five or more years.

This could be a side plot for an episode of Dr. Who, Fringe or a movie version of "The Outer Limits".

I doubt Paul would want to record the music from Plastic Ono Band, or John or George would have wanted to record the music from McCartney, or John would have wanted to record the music from All Things Must Pass. Some of the songs from All Things Must Pass and McCartney had already been rejected previously. I don't see how they could have kept going if they didn't like each other's music. I don't see My Sweet Lord, Another Day and Mother being Beatles singles. For the Beatles to have kept going, Give Peace a Chance and Cold Turkey would have had to be Beatles singles.
edrebber

Postby bravefan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:38 pm

I think if the Beatles could have worked on what became solo work in some sort of harmony, then yes I think more great music would have been created. I have little doubt if they could have somehow swallowed their pride and worked together. The four were like magic together in the way they were able to create and forge music. Egos got too damn big. Finishing third to McCartney and Lennon is nothing to be ashamed about but George needed his independence. It's too bad because as great as some of the solo work has been, how much better would it have been?
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:05 pm

The Beatles were the Beatles because of the chemistry between the 5 of them...yes..I mean George Martin. If they continued, all those solo songs would have been even better with the others contributing ideas. And a lot of the weaker songs would never have been released.
Another 10 years of the Beatles would have been great.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jeff in Ohio » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:45 pm

Good topic, I've pondered this very topic over the years. I think it's best they "stopped on top". I think of Led Zeppelin in the same way...went out with a final fantastic album (in their case, ended not by choice, but certainly on top). And even John Lennon as a solo artist, his final album...a masterpiece, and his legend was forever confirmed with that final great piece of work. I think things worked out perfectly, though at the time I would have wished for them to keep going as a band instead of 4 solo artists.
I'm painting a room in a colorful way, and when my mind is wandering, there I will go.
Jeff in Ohio

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:03 pm

edrebber wrote:
Mike wrote:What would they have done if they kept going? I do think a lot of great music would have come out, look what we saw from George, John and of course Paul, and with a little help from his friends Ringo since the breakup.

The big question is would they have the legendary following they now and perhaps always will have? You don't see Rolling Stone conventions on many continents, every year. Would this site and many other Beatles-related fan sites be in existence? Who knows. Perhaps when we perfect mult-dimensional transportation we could actually see the time line in which The Beatles stayed together for five or more years.

This could be a side plot for an episode of Dr. Who, Fringe or a movie version of "The Outer Limits".

I doubt Paul would want to record the music from Plastic Ono Band, or John or George would have wanted to record the music from McCartney, or John would have wanted to record the music from All Things Must Pass. Some of the songs from All Things Must Pass and McCartney had already been rejected previously. I don't see how they could have kept going if they didn't like each other's music. I don't see My Sweet Lord, Another Day and Mother being Beatles singles. For the Beatles to have kept going, Give Peace a Chance and Cold Turkey would have had to be Beatles singles.

Just thought I'd mention The Beatles did record Paul's "Teddy Boy" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" would have been a Beatles song. Also The Beatles did record "All Things Must Pass". I agree in whole that if they stayed together the collective material would have been just as strong as any track from Abbey Road or any previous album. Saying that, if The Beatles quit after The White Album, just what solo material, amount & quality, would have came out from each of them? That's another topic.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby bonovox66 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:33 pm

What would have happened if they quit after the White Album.. man that is a question.

My theory, the Beatles legend would have been slightly different. Would they have been as timeless? Who knows. Even though the White Album is my second fave album (yes Abbey Road is my fave) I think it would have hurt their "mythology". It was those troublesome years from Magical Mystery Tour on to the recording of Let it Be that made Abbey Road such a triumph. It was the four boys that we fell in love with after they had grown up, had their hissy-fits and learned to be men in a band together (albeit for only one last album). To have ended on the White album would have left so much undone. So many questions. So many more what-if's. At least after Abbey Road it felt like an ending worthy of their great talent.

Personally, I don't think the material would have been as good if they had stayed together. They needed their own space to make those great solo albums. I always call myself a Paul fan first, a wings fan second, and a Beatles fan third. So my view may be a little biased. But just look at the wealth of material George had in his back pocket. I seriously doubt he would have been able to record even half of it if they stayed together. And here is another question... What would the 70's have been like if they had stayed together?

Still its nice to think what would've been
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions