The Beatles stopped on top

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

The Beatles stopped on top

Postby EddieV » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:37 am

I don´t think Beatles could have topped Abbey Road!! So they stopped at the right moment.

What do you think??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: The Beatles stopped on top

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:57 am

I think they might have been able to top it or perhaps they might have evolved into a different kind of band. But I am glad that they called it quits when they did. There is a joy you can hear on Abbey Road that you hadn't heard since Pepper really. It also prevented them from becoming a parody of themselves or just another sad group living off the vapor trails of past glory.

Like so many we immortalize they got out while the getting was good. At least they didn't have to die to become immortal (James Dean, Marilyn, etc).
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:06 am

What would they have done if they kept going? I do think a lot of great music would have come out, look what we saw from George, John and of course Paul, and with a little help from his friends Ringo since the breakup.

The big question is would they have the legendary following they now and perhaps always will have? You don't see Rolling Stone conventions on many continents, every year. Would this site and many other Beatles-related fan sites be in existence? Who knows. Perhaps when we perfect mult-dimensional transportation we could actually see the time line in which The Beatles stayed together for five or more years.

This could be a side plot for an episode of Dr. Who, Fringe or a movie version of "The Outer Limits".
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby bobo166 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:20 pm

just look at songs from 1970 and 1971, Instant Karma, God, Working Class Hero, Love, My Sweet Lord, Maybe I'm Amazed,Imagine, Jealous Guy,Junk, Every Night,Isn't it a Pity, Run Of The Mill even Ringo's Photograph, It don't come easy , Back off Boogaloo...........Enough material for 2 or 3 Abbey Roads,
they should continue...
bobo166

Postby EddieV » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:36 pm

bobo166 wrote:just look at songs from 1970 and 1971, Instant Karma, God, Working Class Hero, Love, My Sweet Lord, Maybe I'm Amazed,Imagine, Jealous Guy,Junk, Every Night,Isn't it a Pity, Run Of The Mill even Ringo's Photograph, It don't come easy , Back off Boogaloo...........Enough material for 2 or 3 Abbey Roads,
they should continue...

Yes there were lots of great songs! But would they have worked if the Beatles recorded them??
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:17 pm

EddieV wrote:
bobo166 wrote:just look at songs from 1970 and 1971, Instant Karma, God, Working Class Hero, Love, My Sweet Lord, Maybe I'm Amazed,Imagine, Jealous Guy,Junk, Every Night,Isn't it a Pity, Run Of The Mill even Ringo's Photograph, It don't come easy , Back off Boogaloo...........Enough material for 2 or 3 Abbey Roads,
they should continue...

Yes there were lots of great songs! But would they have worked if the Beatles recorded them??

Probably not. I think they could only write and release those songs because they were no longer together. And Mike has a point, if they had not broke up I do not think they would still have the same status they have now. Look at Elvis, sure he is remembered as the King of Rock N Roll, but most people remember the bloated pathetic Elvis. Would this have happened to The Beatles too? I think there is a really good chance.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 am

bonovox66 wrote:
EddieV wrote:
they should continue...

Probably not. I think they could only write and release those songs because they were no longer together. And Mike has a point, if they had not broke up I do not think they would still have the same status they have now. Look at Elvis, sure he is remembered as the King of Rock N Roll, but most people remember the bloated pathetic Elvis. Would this have happened to The Beatles too? I think there is a really good chance.

I agree with both of you.
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:16 pm

who stops doing what they do when they are the best at it?

muhammad ali? no
michael jordan? no
elvis? no
jack nichelson? no
al pacino? no
robert deniro? no
the rolling stones? no

want to know who did? the beatles.

could they have made more great albums? probably. most likely, even. but know what they didn't do? make sh!tty albums. thats why they have the reputation that they have. i would not have chanced the near perfect record they had.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:03 pm

I agree with all of you. I just can't imagine a 1970's Beatles, the Fab four in the era of the disco music, heavy metal and punk. What would have John and George thought if someday Paul arrives and says "Hey guys, I composed a new song:Temporary secretary, let's record it!"? (Yeah, I know, that song is from McCartney II and it was released in the 80's but my point is if songs like that one could have ever been recorded by The Beatles) Though that would be better than to have a Yoko's inspired stuff on every Beatles album in the 70s. Just get the picture: The Beatles appearing in a TV show performing, let's say Band on the run, and then Yoko appearing covered with a blanket and screaming...Yikes!!!

Here's another thougt. Let's say John and George were still alive. The Beatle's name and prestige would be affected if they have reunited for a short period, maybe in the late 90s-early 2000s? If not for making new music together maybe for a one-time concert in Liverpool, London, New York or wherever you want. What do you guys think?
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby savillerowdie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:11 pm

I think when they stopped that they really needed some time apart for their own personal stretching space. John needed to be off with Yoko and George was pretty well stifled by the Beatles by this point. Still, I think they could have forced one or two more really really good albums. Although, it may have been awkward for Paul to sing harmony on How Do You Sleep. :-D

Seriously, I think there was a chance for perhaps a one album reunion had the Lost Weekend extended another year or so. And although I think it would have been great, I keep thinking about that incredibly funny novel by Mark Shipper called Paperback Writer, where the late 1970's Beatles reunion turned out to be not quite the sensation everybody expected.

If you haven't read Paperback Writer, I, for one, highly recommend it.
http://www.amazon.com/Paperback-Writer-Spurious-Chronicle-Disasters/dp/0441651240
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions