5 best albums in your collection (non Macca/Beatles)

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: 5 best albums in your collection (non Macca/Beatles)

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 25, 2010 10:53 pm

while not exactly what you mean, jjs...try buckinghams live album, 'live at the bass performance hall', many parts of which are solo and acoustic

if you can find the right version, there's a documentary, 'not too late', where he tries to get a record deal going...it's kind of depressing...i bet many 'stars' of his time have these sort of problems...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby chris » Tue May 25, 2010 11:03 pm

speaking of great guitarists, that buckingham is quite good isn't he? understated...rarely playing a solo to show off, as many others tend to do.

and why do i consider christine mcvie the real unsung hero of FM?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 25, 2010 11:09 pm

:? 'cause you got the hotz fer her, duh !
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby jjs » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 pm

mr h atom wrote:while not exactly what you mean, jjs...try buckinghams live album, 'live at the bass performance hall', many parts of which are solo and acoustic

if you can find the right version, there's a documentary, 'not too late', where he tries to get a record deal going...it's kind of depressing...i bet many 'stars' of his time have these sort of problems...

OMFG... Buckingham has a live album???? I am OFF to Amazon right now. I love this guy.
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm

chris wrote:speaking of great guitarists, that buckingham is quite good isn't he? understated...rarely playing a solo to show off, as many others tend to do.

and why do i consider christine mcvie the real unsung hero of FM?

They're all great. Christine was more apt to go for the pop love song while Stevie went for the poetry, but Chris' music is fantastic. Think "Oh Daddy" and "Brown Eyes". I love Lindsey's travis picking guitar work, and his haunting acoustic work in general. But he seems to go for the "electronic" sound on his own records though.
JJS

jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 pm

chris wrote:i didn't think either roger's or dave's solo albums sold particularly well. and neither gets, or has ever gotten, any real radio airplay. even back in the day. and as far as the floyd's album sales are concerned (post roger?) i think the legend of the band sold albums instead of the music. i'm not sure i can name even one floyd song, sans roger, that i even like.

Dave's "On An Island" was a #6 album (#1 UK). "David Gilmour" hit #29 and "About Face" hit #31. His recent "Live in Gdansk" album hit #26. I didn't expect this one to even chart, but it did. Roger's only successful albums were "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" #31 and 'Amused to Death" #21. "Radio KAOS" and "The Wall Live in Berlin" didn't chart above #50, "In the Flesh: Live" barely charted at all (#136).

Dave took Floyd in another direction after Waters. I personally think he didn't want to sound too much like the old pre-Wall Floyd. To my ears... there is much more Floyd in the "David Gilmour" and "About Face" albums than there are in the later Floyd albums.

Roger's absence is obvious to me in the later albums... and I hear in them a lot of the same things that bug me about Paul's albums (mediocre lyrics, no real musical direction or focus, a feeling of everything just being nebulous), but that doesn't mean there is nothing to like about them. There's some good music on them. Just don't expect Roger.

chris wrote:but you are right, roger's albums have a...theme. a recurring dramatic musical presence that holds the album together. much like the wall. and it is wordy, (the wall, that is) isn't it? but the older i get, it seems to be the one floyd album i go to for repeated listens more often than the others. it seemed that roger made albums whereas david made songs.

Spot on. Roger made albums, and his songsare both musically and lyrically strong, complete thoughts. Dave lacks that focus. He's immensely talented, but can't write lyrics and can be musically nebulous.

chris wrote:and while i admire both of them (roger and dave) i tend to look back and say roger was the more important. what i base that on i'm not exactly sure. must be based on what they did within the context of the band. not solo. because i really only enjoy one waters solo album (pros and cons) while i tolerate the others. and gilmore...really has one solo highlight: there's no way out of here. not even an album but a song. the best i can say about david gilmore's songwriting is...i love his guitar playing.

Well... "chemistry" is an odd thing. "Waters + Gilmour" is many times better than either of them apart, even if the song is "all Roger". I agree that Roger was "more important"... but in reality it doesn't matter 'cause apart, something ain't right... It just ain't the same.
JJS

jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:34 am

At this moment my 5 favourites are:

Grateful Dead_American Beauty

Jimi Hendrix_First Days Ot The Rising Sun

Deep Purple_ MAchine Head

Neil Young_Chrome Dreams

The Black Keys_Thickandfressnes
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby gjh » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am

i tried to list my top 5 but its hard...there are too many
from mozart to metallica...haha
i haven't bought an album for awhile now as i've kinda gravitated to "little stevens underground garage" on Sirius radio
definitely recommend it (:
gjh

Postby bobo166 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:05 am

1. Nirvana - Unplugged
2. The Who - Quadrophenia
3. Yes - Yessongs
4. Radiohed - OK Computer
5. Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
bobo166

Previous

Return to Music - Other Artists