elvis costello at the chicago theatre

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

elvis costello at the chicago theatre

Postby chris » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:41 pm

as an early christmas gift, my wife got two tickets for us to see elvis costello at the famed chicago theater. it is a small venue where every seat in the house is a good one.

merry christmas everyone.

it was a one man show. him and 5 diffeent guitars alone on stage. he was quite chatty, and funny...and clever. he decontructed his songs and gave renditions i never thought i'd hear. and i have to admit, i always sort of thought his voice had limited range. this guy sang his balls off. and it just may be one of the top 5 concerts i have ever seen.

i have a thought. and it is this...the golden age of rock music is now ending. there are the dinosaurs of rock. paul, the stones, dylan. all continuing to tour. but soon, they will not. so i offer this advice...if you have a chance to see a rock and roll legend, do it. the greats are going to be gone soon. go see who you can now.

and DO NOT spend all of your fine concert going time with a cell phone in your hand trying to record a song or group of songs. be there. enjoy your time. watch and enjoy the concert. don't play with your phone. memories are what we have to look back on and remember fondly. not messing with blurry electronic devises.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: elvis costello at the chicago theatre

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 pm

yeah chris it makes me sad that the greats are on their way out. i go see them every chance i get. saw the stones in 06 and they still got it, saw dylan a few times but not recently. wish i coulda seen costello but never had the chance. glad you enjoyed him.
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:51 pm

roger waters (formerly of pink floyd, for those of you who were unsure of their rogers) is another one who toured recently (thanks by the way mark, for your fairly recent review of THAT one)

these guys are all approximately the same age. time is ticking (i'm not being morbid, am i? i really am not going for grim).
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:48 pm

Did he play this?

8)
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 pm

chris wrote:
and DO NOT spend all of your fine concert going time with a cell phone in your hand trying to record a song or group of songs. be there. enjoy your time. watch and enjoy the concert. don't play with your phone. memories are what we have to look back on and remember fondly. not messing with blurry electronic devises.

I couldn't agree more. Went to see Interpol the other week and I spent so much time getting annoyed at people playing with their phones and not watching the gig that I got distracted from the gig! I'll take one pic for posterity, then just enjoy the show.

And then they'll check out their video of the previous song as the next song's being played! :-x
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:11 pm

james1985 wrote:Did he play this?

8)

he did, james. pretty sure that is a new one. and it's funny that you mentioned that...i noticed i was watching the cell phone recording in front of me instead of the concert itself. that would be funny...if it weren't so pathetic.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 pm

james1985 wrote:
chris wrote:

I couldn't agree more. Went to see Interpol the other week and I spent so much time getting annoyed at people playing with their phones and not watching the gig that I got distracted from the gig! I'll take one pic for posterity, then just enjoy the show.

And then they'll check out their video of the previous song as the next song's being played! :-x

The worst for me is all the texting durin concerts "OMG they just played ______" 5 minutes later "OMG now playing _____" Come on, enjoy the show. Once you get home there will be tons of pics, setlists, recaps and even audio of the show, Use the time at t he concert to enjoy the music, People have forgotten how to enjoy music. I forget where I heard this but somone said "music has become an accessory" and that is so true. What happebned to music being a cultural and social experience?

Glad you got to go to the show Chris.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Return to Music - Other Artists