publishing rights to lyrics. i am writing a novel set in the

Discussions related to Paul as a Beatle.

Moderator: Mike

publishing rights to lyrics. i am writing a novel set in the

Postby nutcracker » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:06 pm

a novel set in the 60-70 period needs a few quotes from a few songs from the beatles alyrics. How can I apply for permission?

Paul, why not do a musical based on the lyrics? there are so many good stories in there...even better than Björn and Bennys mamma mia Abba lyrics! :-)
nutcracker

Re: publishing rights to lyrics. i am writing a novel set in the

Postby chris » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:37 pm

nutcracker wrote:Paul, why not do a musical based on the lyrics? there are so many good stories in there...even better than Björn and Bennys mamma mia Abba lyrics! :-)

they tried that once or twice already. the first time it was in the 70's featuring the bee gee's, peter frampton, and...(gulp)...george burns. they named it sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band. it emminated a stench so putrid that my sense of smell has, till this day, never fully recovered.

just a few years ago, mind still foggy that it had already been attempted, someone tried again with accross the universe. it was...better. but still not a rousing success. at least this one didn't cause nightmares. just a mild case of anal leakage. and as i can now attest, if one has to have anal leakage, i'm going to have to say mild is the way to go.

i wish you and your literary project much success. many have tried. and the proper recipe is no doubt out there. but be strong. and don't give up. never give up.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Re: publishing rights to lyrics. i am writing a novel set in the

Postby gfgb123 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:09 am

nutcracker wrote:a novel set in the 60-70 period needs a few quotes from a few songs from the beatles alyrics. How can I apply for permission?

Paul, why not do a musical based on the lyrics? there are so many good stories in there...even better than Björn and Bennys mamma mia Abba lyrics! :-)

Presuming you are in the US, Hal Leonard has the print rights to most Beatle songs from that period. It is highly likely that you will have to go through them to get permission and yes they will charge you for the use of the lyrics. That fee will be split between them and the copyright holder/publisher (Sony/ATV, Harrisongs, etc). Go this is link and it may answer a few question or at least get you on track. http://www.halleonard.com/permissions/faq.jsp#a22

Good luck and be sure to get an agent before you go to a publishing firm because most will require it.
gfgb123

Return to Paul as a Beatle