Denny Laine and the Remasters

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Denny Laine and the Remasters

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:47 pm

I don't care one way or another if Paul involves Denny. However, I do think it would be classy of him to include him a bit more in his recollections about Wings. From what I've heard over the years, he basically mentions him when naming members of the band, but doesn't even tell any stories about him. He is under no obligation to do so, but I would like to hear more stories about the band and even some of the songs they worked on together. Enough time has passed, whatever went wrong between them is in the past; I would like to hear more about the band and Denny's role in it--after all, Paul, Linda, and Denny were the core of the band throughout the whole of the 70s.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:16 pm

i think paul's stories are so rehearsed, due to either having told them so many times...or so as to not reveal that much of himself personally...that we aren't going to get anything that new or different. i've witnessed him answering the same question decades apart...only to respond with the same exact word-for-word answer. if he hasn't mentioned denny by now...he's what? 67 years old?...he's not going to.

i'd love to hear paul dig up some dirt...hell, something fresh...but i guess he has that squeaky clean image to take care of :-?? .
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mr h atom » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:36 pm

my recollection, rusty & faulty as it often is, is that the 'family' of paul, linda & denny did not end well at all...quite the opposite, in fact.

sorry, derek, but that divorce was quick, bitter and final sometime ago...not all spouses get along after: chalk this one up to one of the bad ones, i guess...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby jgkojak » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:04 pm

I think Denny, while a great player/guitarist, overstates his importance in Wings - which is sort of Paul's fault, because he pushed so hard the concept of Wings as a BAND - not Paul's back-up band.

Yeah, he co-wrote a handful of songs w/Paul and played on a large number of Macca songs - but if that were Hugh McCracken and Dave Spinozza (whom Paul originally asked) - the majority of Paul's work would be unchanged.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:06 am

jgkojak wrote:I think Denny, while a great player/guitarist, overstates his importance in Wings - which is sort of Paul's fault, because he pushed so hard the concept of Wings as a BAND - not Paul's back-up band.

Yeah, he co-wrote a handful of songs w/Paul and played on a large number of Macca songs - but if that were Hugh McCracken and Dave Spinozza (whom Paul originally asked) - the majority of Paul's work would be unchanged.

Along the same lines, it is interesting to hear Paul describe the "band" here in an interview on band on the run: "For me I like working with a gang of people I like. I've never been a solo performer so it's natural for me to find a group, I also like to work sometimes on my own. I haven't done any of that since the McCartney LP where I worked on my own, played all the instruments. So that for me is more fun. That is something I really enjoyed to do where there's no one else to worry about. It's like an old professor in his laboratory. My ideal thing would be to have a steady group that work together as a team.
get the team thing where there is enough looseness so that any one of us any tme can go off and do what ever he wants to do."

Say what you want, but that doesn't sound like he viewed them as a band at all... a team, with rotating players who come in to work on a project and then move on.
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby james1985 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Hope Denny's getting a few $$$ from the Wings remasters, anyway.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Previous

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours