Woman is the ....

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Woman is the ....

Postby Chris Speers » Mon Oct 07, 2002 10:53 pm

Woman is the n... of the world is a song that is god awful. First of all, who is john Lennon? and what gives him the right to use the N-word? That song is disrespectful to black and it's not cool. I know it's a methaphor but it's racist and it's weak.

What if John said "Klein is a money, hungry ki$% of the world" or "Paul is the Irish drunk of the world"..or Yoko is the n%$ of thew world"...It's just lazy song-writing and horrid lyrically ,too.

I'd like to see how Lennon was able to record that song with some of the brothers who were in Elephants memory. Man, they should have went upside his head for that insult man. I'd like to see somebody like Deacon Jones or James Brown give John a little reality check on how some of the homies feel about the N-word. [:(!]

There is no truth that Snoop dog is going to re-make "Woman is the ni...of the world" with his boyz. [;)]
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:06 pm

Right, John "should have known better." I mean, everybody knows the black people have the worst tempers. And Yoko being Asian, should have become an accountant instead of running John's music career. 'Cuz you know, them Asians are good with numbers. [;)]
Ram1

Postby Brains » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:50 am

Is it really that terrible to say nigger in this song? I mean, John wasn't racist (I hope), and in this song it's just a metaphor to say very strongly what he felt. At first, blacks will say "Hey, he's using the n-word" but when they hear the rest of the song, it's put in perspective. It's not meant in a racist way.

Has there ever been any complaints about this song in the black community? John played it live, I don't think he'd dared to do that if he'd had complaints from blacks.
Brains
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Ram1 » Tue Oct 08, 2002 8:28 am

Totally agreed, Brains. As much as John and Yoko were invloved in civil rights in the early 70s, most notably work with Angela Davis, I have NEVER heard once any complaints about the word nigger in this song until this thread. OF COURSE John wasn't racist. Heck, he was the one reportedly in the EARLY 60s, who just short of cursed PAUL out for making a flippant racist joke.
Ram1

Postby dsnito » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:31 am

A thing that I figure out about this song is that John was TOTALLY against the prejudice, I think he didn't use the therm to offend the african descendants but tried to show that like them the women were(are?)prejudice's victims. Hey, and wasn't John that supported the "Black Panthers"?? Controvertial... like John was, wasn't he?? However maybe he really didn't put the therm correctly, but proper policy behavior wasn't usual as is nowadays.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby Liam OSM » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:42 am

I think it was meant to be an equal rights for women song, done serious and tongue-in-cheek at the same time. Trouble is, the song is crap. A slightly better song of a similar nature is Bryan Adams' "Touch The Hand" - not a masterpiece, but catchier and fun.
Liam OSM
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby Chris Speers » Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:26 pm

Sorry - all of you are wrong. a white person who uses the N-word is a racist. Tongue in cheek or what have you -it doesn't matter.

Just an opinion - Elvis Costello once called Ray Charles the n-word. In my mind, he's a racist
Chris Speers
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby dsnito » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:15 pm

Chris, and why did John supported the Black Panthers then, man???
He wrote that song NOT in HIS point of view but of the prejudicious people. Well, that's what I got of that song, I mean, that's MY point of view and I ain't no Lennon's advocate neither the owner of the truth.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Tue Oct 08, 2002 3:44 pm

I also think that John made a mistake(I even think he did it purposely to shock the people), that was a fault of him in the presence of his african-american friends, but were they disgusted with him?? I think they understood him and did forgive his "mistake". I'm pretty sure he wasn't a racist.
Well, have to say also that MUSICALLY the song and even the lyric itself isn't SO great and I don't think that deserves praises or making fuss about.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Postby dsnito » Tue Oct 08, 2002 4:15 pm

There's one thing I recalled now by the way, when James Brown came to Brazil once and a local newspaper female reporter asked him "why are you "niggers" so successful with your music... etc.etc.?"or something like that, and J.B. got mad and replied very angry with all reason: "Don't call me "nigger", you b****!!", and she got totally embarassed!! That was very shameful, but the reporter was not too blame, because maybe she wasn't familiarized with the language subtlety and had no intention to offend though interviewing an international star she OUGHT to know that.

Peace.
dsnito
Platinum member
Platinum member

Next

Return to JOHN