Why did they re-use 1987 mixes for RS and Help?

This blog is an open discussion of The Beatles

Moderator: Mike

Why did they re-use 1987 mixes for RS and Help?

Postby jgkojak » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:16 pm

An answer from Giles Martin:
http://wogew.blogspot.com/2009/09/1987-cd-mixes.html

[quoteG]iles Martin: Rubber Soul and Help! were remixed by my dad in 1988 or '87 for CD. And when we did "Love", we got to do Yesterday, and I couldn't understand why there were so much echo and reverb on the voice 'cause it was very non-Beatles. And it was only when I came back and I was listening to the remasters I asked "how come this is the case?" and they said "well we are remastering the eighties versions of [Rubber Soul and Help!]" and I said "why aren't we remastering the originals, we should remaster what came out then [in 1965]?"
---
And they said "Well, your father wouldn't be very happy with us not remastering the versions he did in the eighties."
So I spoke to my dad and I asked "Do you mind if they remaster the sixties version?" and he went "I don't even remember doing them in the eighties!"[/quote]

and then
Allan Rouse in an interview with Record Collector: "The remasters were based on the master-tapes, with the exception of two albums: George Martin's 1987 mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul. People are questioning why we used those. George Martin is the fifth Beatle. He chose to do it. You can argue with him, but I'm not going to."

Basically out of a misguided effort to pay respect to GM, they gave us 16 bit 80s dreck on the official remastered versions.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Why did they re-use 1987 mixes for RS and Help?

Postby mr h atom » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:23 am

i presume that if you stick with the mono versions of these two you're not subject to this listening experience..right ? :wink:

(with all apologies to both kojak and dylankyra : i promise , it was all the drugs when i was younger..those flinstone chewables were soooo addictive)
Last edited by mr h atom on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Re: Why did they re-use 1987 mixes for RS and Help?

Postby jgkojak » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Yes, the monos they did a 24 bit flat transfer (no EQ, etc) of the mono tapes- which ALSO isn't quite the right way- kinda a passive-aggressive way of saying "you want the tapes, here" because they were MEANT to be EQ'd for LP mastering - so they don't so quite right either.

The stereo masters other than Help and RS for the most part sound perfect- I a/B my Dr Ebbetts needledrop of White Album or Abbey Road and they are indistinguishable from remasters.

A fun site:

beatledrops.com
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Return to The Beatles: General Discussions