Was Wings really that good??

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby ibanez122 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:37 pm

While McCartneys band now is great, the 75-77 Wings line up to me is epic. I was listening to Wings Over America today and that album truly has to be one of the best live albums ever recorded. The band sounded really tight around that time. Jimmy lights it all over that album and Joe was a beast on the drums. Ive heard a few bootlegs over the course of the Wings Over the World Tour and they tore it up.
ibanez122
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby Awesoman » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Wings has been my least-favorite period in McCartney's career. Sure, some nice albums and music came out of it like Band On The Run. And they were fine musicians and live performers. But the sticking point for me is the way McCartney flaunted the band. Ultimately Wings was McCartney's backing band, despite the way McCartney attempted to market them. By no means were any of these jokers on par with McCartney; few really gave a crap about the instantly forgettable tunes the "other bandmembers" had to offer (can anyone name any hits the other members sang?). And Linda had no business being there; she had little to no musical talent. She was only thrusted into the spotlight because Paul wanted the attention John & Yoko were getting. But Linda was hardly a Yoko Ono.

Finally, there was a commercial for the Wingspan compilation that sited Wings as "one of the greatest bands of all time". WTF?? Really? Other than maybe McCartney himself, who the hell would actually agree with that crap?

As far as I'm concerned, Wings greatest achievement was that they were a backing band to Paul McCartney. Had it been left at that I think they would have been taken more seriously. Nyah.
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby derekjdavis » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Awesoman wrote:Wings has been my least-favorite period in McCartney's career. Sure, some nice albums and music came out of it like Band On The Run. And they were fine musicians and live performers. But the sticking point for me is the way McCartney flaunted the band. Ultimately Wings was McCartney's backing band, despite the way McCartney attempted to market them. By no means were any of these jokers on par with McCartney; few really gave a crap about the instantly forgettable tunes the "other bandmembers" had to offer (can anyone name any hits the other members sang?). And Linda had no business being there; she had little to no musical talent. She was only thrusted into the spotlight because Paul wanted the attention John & Yoko were getting. But Linda was hardly a Yoko Ono.

Finally, there was a commercial for the Wingspan compilation that sited Wings as "one of the greatest bands of all time". WTF?? Really? Other than maybe McCartney himself, who the hell would actually agree with that crap?

As far as I'm concerned, Wings greatest achievement was that they were a backing band to Paul McCartney. Had it been left at that I think they would have been taken more seriously. Nyah.

hmmm. I mixed here. I agree with some but respectfully disagree with other things. For instance I agree that they were his backing band, and that it should always be called "Paul McCartney & Wings." I also agree that they were good musicans and performers. However I disagree that Linda had no musical talent. Sure she wasn't as good as Paul, but I have no qualms with her presence. None of her vocals bug me or anything and I don't see why people make such a fuss of it.There's nothing that I listen to and think "Oh man that song would've been better without Linda's voice!"
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby foxylady » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:06 am

Awesoman wrote:Wings has been my least-favorite period in McCartney's career. Sure, some nice albums and music came out of it like Band On The Run. And they were fine musicians and live performers. But the sticking point for me is the way McCartney flaunted the band. Ultimately Wings was McCartney's backing band, despite the way McCartney attempted to market them. By no means were any of these jokers on par with McCartney; few really gave a crap about the instantly forgettable tunes the "other bandmembers" had to offer (can anyone name any hits the other members sang?). And Linda had no business being there; she had little to no musical talent. She was only thrusted into the spotlight because Paul wanted the attention John & Yoko were getting. But Linda was hardly a Yoko Ono.

Finally, there was a commercial for the Wingspan compilation that sited Wings as "one of the greatest bands of all time". WTF?? Really? Other than maybe McCartney himself, who the hell would actually agree with that crap?

As far as I'm concerned, Wings greatest achievement was that they were a backing band to Paul McCartney. Had it been left at that I think they would have been taken more seriously. Nyah.


I like Linda's harmonies. Thank god she was no Yoko Ono!!! I liked when Danny sang "Go Now" and Jimmy's "Medicine Jar" rocked!

Paul didn't want attention. He did the university tour to AVOID attention. I just love this period. When they took the colourful double deck bus and drove across England and then on to France with Denny's wife and all the children. Paul was HOT then and I liked his loose attitude. Really cool. They seemed to have fun and they rocked on stage.

Wings were the second successful British act in the seventies (worldwide), not bad for a second career. Only Elton John had more.

I love how Paul just did what he wanted and not care what was considered cool or 'looked' serious. What an unique artist!!!
foxylady
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:02 am

Awesoman wrote:Wings has been my least-favorite period in McCartney's career. Sure, some nice albums and music came out of it like Band On The Run. And they were fine musicians and live performers. But the sticking point for me is the way McCartney flaunted the band. Ultimately Wings was McCartney's backing band, despite the way McCartney attempted to market them. By no means were any of these jokers on par with McCartney; few really gave a crap about the instantly forgettable tunes the "other bandmembers" had to offer (can anyone name any hits the other members sang?). And Linda had no business being there; she had little to no musical talent. She was only thrusted into the spotlight because Paul wanted the attention John & Yoko were getting. But Linda was hardly a Yoko Ono.

Finally, there was a commercial for the Wingspan compilation that sited Wings as "one of the greatest bands of all time". WTF?? Really? Other than maybe McCartney himself, who the hell would actually agree with that crap?

As far as I'm concerned, Wings greatest achievement was that they were a backing band to Paul McCartney. Had it been left at that I think they would have been taken more seriously. Nyah.

Guess you never played any sports. There is no "i" in team. Sure, I'm a big fan of Paul playing mult-instruments in the studio, even loved what he did to perform Flaming Pie. I remember seeing him play live where he had 3 video screens behind him, him on drums, him on guitar, him on bass, all sequenced to his live performance on piano. That was great for Flaming Pie and Beautiful Night and I would go see him in an arena doing that but I'm a big fan. To go on tour proper either in the 70's or now, Paul needs a band. Paul McCartney & Wings is a band any way you look at it. Yes, Paul does get and deserves a lot of credit of course. The Beatles were a band but McCartney and Lennon are often praised more than Ringo and George but we all agree they all were great players and were the right mix at the right time. You can't compare Ringo's song writing abilities to Paul, John or George but he was the staple of the band. Keyword is band. If there were no Beatles would John, George, Ringo or Paul have been anywhere successful by themselves?. A band is a band, is a band. History man. Paul McCartney & Wings was a band and whether you like it or not, they were a good band. Not just my opinion. When record sales actually meant something, the sold lots, and tickets to their gigs were in high demand, sold out. So live and on-record they had some spectacular achievements. You can not discount or dispute that. Now criticizing their success, well, after the fact, that's a matter of taste I suppose just like those who like John's success more than Paul's, it's a matter of opinion. I never got to see John Lennon live cuz he didn't tour like Paul. We can only speculate what if John toured madly like Paul, what if?
Mike Kovacich
Image
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
User avatar
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3844
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2001 1:00 am
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby Awesoman » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Mike wrote:Guess you never played any sports. There is no "i" in team. Sure, I'm a big fan of Paul playing mult-instruments in the studio, even loved what he did to perform Flaming Pie. I remember seeing him play live where he had 3 video screens behind him, him on drums, him on guitar, him on bass, all sequenced to his live performance on piano. That was great for Flaming Pie and Beautiful Night and I would go see him in an arena doing that but I'm a big fan. To go on tour proper either in the 70's or now, Paul needs a band. Paul McCartney & Wings is a band any way you look at it. Yes, Paul does get and deserves a lot of credit of course. The Beatles were a band but McCartney and Lennon are often praised more than Ringo and George but we all agree they all were great players and were the right mix at the right time. You can't compare Ringo's song writing abilities to Paul, John or George but he was the staple of the band. Keyword is band. If there were no Beatles would John, George, Ringo or Paul have been anywhere successful by themselves?. A band is a band, is a band. History man. Paul McCartney & Wings was a band and whether you like it or not, they were a good band. Not just my opinion. When record sales actually meant something, the sold lots, and tickets to their gigs were in high demand, sold out. So live and on-record they had some spectacular achievements. You can not discount or dispute that. Now criticizing their success, well, after the fact, that's a matter of taste I suppose just like those who like John's success more than Paul's, it's a matter of opinion. I never got to see John Lennon live cuz he didn't tour like Paul. We can only speculate what if John toured madly like Paul, what if?


Well that's all fine and good, Mike. But you completely missed my point. I don't have a problem with Paul being *in* a band; I just didn't like the way he marketed the band Wings. Wings masqueraded as a collaborative effort by all band members and to a degree that was true. Problem is when you have a Beatle in said band, no one really gives a crap about what songs Jimmy has to offer. It's like putting Godzilla in a band with the Smurfs. No one would even notice the Smurfs.

Had Paul marketed Wings as his "backing band" like the band he is in now, I believe Wings would have received better critical acclaim.

And btw - there is definitely no "I" in team but I'm pretty sure there is a "me" in there...
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby mr h atom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:42 am

quite frankly, that's a load of crap.

as a music fan with varied tastes..i was/am a fan of wings, and, at that time, i could've cared less about the beatles; most of my friends, all of whom because of our ages, came to 'modern' music post-beatles, could've given a rats arse about 'older' bands (what did we know, other than what we liked).
in fact, i became a beatle fan BECAUSE i loved the music wings was making far more than alot of the other stuff that was out there...and it went like this: 'you like wings, you should've heard his first band !"

as a fan of wings...i had no problem w/ linda, denny, jimmy and the rest...they definatively helped create a band that had a distinctive, hit making, chart topping, ticket selling, top ranked band that ruled the airwaves then and left a huge impression on millions.

the fact that the beatles were/are fantasic was/is just a plus...and continues to be only that to this day.

as for the contention that yoko was far more accomplished: personal taste, i suppose...but, i can't stand yokos singing, songwriting or personality...linda, on the other hand, never hit a sour note for me...
and if her prescence is what paul needed to get past his ever present past at that time, that decision, for me, at least, had a far more significant affect than anything yoko or john did.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
User avatar
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby Awesoman » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:16 pm

mr h atom wrote:
as a fan of wings...i had no problem w/ linda, denny, jimmy and the rest...they definatively helped create a band that had a distinctive, hit making, chart topping, ticket selling, top ranked band that ruled the airwaves then and left a huge impression on millions.


And 90% of the credit goes to Paul McCartney for making them successful. Because it sure as hell wasn't "Medicine Jar" that was putting them on the map.

mr h atom wrote:as for the contention that yoko was far more accomplished: personal taste, i suppose...but, i can't stand yokos singing, songwriting or personality...linda, on the other hand, never hit a sour note for me...
and if her prescence is what paul needed to get past his ever present past at that time, that decision, for me, at least, had a far more significant affect than anything yoko or john did.


It really has nothing to do with who is more "accomplished" between Yoko and Linda. The point I was making is that Paul was flaunting Linda the same way John was with Yoko. I believe Paul was somewhat envious of the attention that John & Yoko were receiving; and to be frank, some of the stunts the latter couple two pulled were quite ridiculous (the "bed-in for peace" campaign as an example). So Paul attempted to mold Linda into his own personal Yoko Ono to get the same attention. But Linda and Yoko are entirely different people of different backgrounds. And where Yoko seemed comfortable in the spotlight with John, it always appeared that Linda was in the spotlight solely because Paul wanted her there.
Awesoman
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 441
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Atlanta, GA USA

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby foxylady » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:27 pm

Awesoman wrote:
mr h atom wrote:
as a fan of wings...i had no problem w/ linda, denny, jimmy and the rest...they definatively helped create a band that had a distinctive, hit making, chart topping, ticket selling, top ranked band that ruled the airwaves then and left a huge impression on millions.


And 90% of the credit goes to Paul McCartney for making them successful. Because it sure as hell wasn't "Medicine Jar" that was putting them on the map.

mr h atom wrote:as for the contention that yoko was far more accomplished: personal taste, i suppose...but, i can't stand yokos singing, songwriting or personality...linda, on the other hand, never hit a sour note for me...
and if her prescence is what paul needed to get past his ever present past at that time, that decision, for me, at least, had a far more significant affect than anything yoko or john did.


It really has nothing to do with who is more "accomplished" between Yoko and Linda. The point I was making is that Paul was flaunting Linda the same way John was with Yoko. I believe Paul was somewhat envious of the attention that John & Yoko were receiving; and to be frank, some of the stunts the latter couple two pulled were quite ridiculous (the "bed-in for peace" campaign as an example). So Paul attempted to mold Linda into his own personal Yoko Ono to get the same attention. But Linda and Yoko are entirely different people of different backgrounds. And where Yoko seemed comfortable in the spotlight with John, it always appeared that Linda was in the spotlight solely because Paul wanted her there.



OK, maybe Paul thought, when John can have his wife in the band, I can do that too, that's possible. But as I said in my earlier post, it was NOT to get attention! Paul himself said he did the small gigs to avoid attention from the media, because he knew the band wasn't ready yet. It is true Linda was only in the band because Paul wanted it, she didn't want to be in the spotlight. The question ist: Why did he want it? I think always to be with his family, with his little one, Mary, and with his beloved wife. Linda, who was not only his wife, she was his close friend and soulpartner, his tower of strength. He needed her.
foxylady
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby mr h atom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:58 pm

of course... we all know paul would never do anything just because he wanted to...or because he thought it felt right for him: he always does things just to try (even though we all know it can never happen) to be as good, or better, than john...or garner as much free publicity ('cause he's just NOT that talented)

heaven forbid anyone might think he can actually think for himself...

to some...paul is like that consumate 'the price is right' contestant we all know and love: can never think for himself..it is always only $1 more than the last guy...

and the actual various members of the band: of course, they, none of them, had any talent...except for that pre-universal skateboarding ability to ride coattails with aplomb !

hacks, all !

how could we, who lived in the '70's , have ever been so duped !

i'm gonna go throw my copy of 'wide prairie' out the window...after all, she never wanted to have any part of any sort of thing !
paul MUST'VE forced her to !
the unimaginative cad !!
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
User avatar
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)
 
Posts: 3159
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests