Was Wings really that good??

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Was Wings really that good??

Postby EddieV » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:18 am

A lot of people say that Wings was so good. I say this band Paul has now is better. OK Wings maybe rocked a little harder when playing live???
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Was Wings really that good??

Postby chris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:57 am

Sure Wings were good. But they were only as good as Paul's songs allowed them to be. When paul wrote great songs, the band excelled. When he was off, so was the band.

I, too, like this current band as much or more than Wings. It seems like Paul allows them to improvise a bit. And I never really got the impression that Wings were allowed that freedom.

But the same goes for the new band. If Paul writes a great song, the band looks good because of it.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:07 am

Yes and No-

The first incarnation did not gel--

Denny Seiwell is a fine session drummer, but lacks a certain power (i.e. he's no Abe). Joe English is by far Wings' best drummer.

Henry McCoulough was a great guitarist but completely wrong for Wings- he was a blues man, liked to play improvisational riffs, etc. while Paul needs to have things played the same way each time. This comes in handy with things like "My Love" where Henry improvised the famous solo on the spot. But Paul rarely wrote in the genre in which Henry was most comfortable.

The Over America configuration did work- a power drummer (English), creative electric lead guitarist (Jimmy) and Denny really work well together- the three also are all decent harmonizers and backup singers- giving Wings a truly unique/distinctive sound.

I would not stack up Wings against the best groups of the 70s - because they were NOT supposed to be - they were Paul's session band, who could turn it up live when needed.

Verses today's band, whose primary purpose is playing live- not being Paul's studio back-up.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:43 am

Though they surely don't get the recognition they deserve, even here. Wings without no question was one of the most successful groups of the 70's. Doesn't matter if it's because Paul wrote #1 songs, it was still Paul McCartney & Wings. Wings were a great live band. In 1976 I saw Paul McCartney & Wings and later Queen the same venue, Maple Leaf Gardens. Sound system wise Wings was far superior, entertainment wise which is hard to judge I suppose about the same except that it being his first North American tour since The Beatles, they certainly had tremendous more media attention than Queen. Performance wise, again Wings topped Queen as McCartney & Wings performed songs to perfection where as Queen did as best they could with a four piece band. They were good don't get me wrong, the sound system was crap but the vocals were weak.

Wings, hands down.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby derekjdavis » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 pm

EddieV wrote:A lot of people say that Wings was so good. I say this band Paul has now is better. OK Wings maybe rocked a little harder when playing live???

I think his current band now is better than the Beatles lol I mean playing wise. Obviously the Beatles were all tremendous composers and were tremendously cohesive but if you took the players individually you have the best at his instrument (Paul) playing with guys that are better at the instrument than the other Beatles were. Abe makes Ringo look like a weinee lol
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby bravefan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:38 pm

I saw Wings in 1976 and then later saw Elton the same year (probably the height of Elton's career). Not even close. The quality of the concert blew away Elton's. Amazing!!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:49 pm

76 was a super year for me seeing concerts. saw 57 that year alone including all the ones mentioned here. only one that even came close to wings was pink floyd and maybe elp with a 75 piece orchestra but wings is the one that really stands out but i think his current band is his best yet. :-D
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:35 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:76 was a super year for me seeing concerts. saw 57 that year alone including all the ones mentioned here. only one that even came close to wings was pink floyd and maybe elp with a 75 piece orchestra but wings is the one that really stands out but i think his current band is his best yet. :-D

lordy, lordy, mark. i consider myself an avid concert attendee...but 57? in a single year? you are indeed, mark the concert man. i am impressed
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:56 pm

thanks chris. figure i have seen about 1000 total. it was my life and it got me to see the whole country cause i was never much for traveling unless it was to grateful dead shows which i did a lot of. :-h
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:25 am

I was at that 76' show too. I'm pretty sure it was Mike who passed me that funny smelling cigarette . :wink:

It was a great show....and I was up with the pigeons near the roof. As great as the band sounded...it was nothing compared to McCartney's vocals. He was insane.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours