Stabbing?

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Stabbing?

Postby KaiMcCart » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Could someone please tell me details about the "midnight Stabbing?" I want to know something about it.
Im going to see Paul McCartney on the thursday he's in pittsburg! Im so exited! :D
KaiMcCart

Re: Stabbing?

Postby chris » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:10 pm

from the new york times...

George Harrison Stabbed in Chest by an Intruder
By SARAH LYALL
Published: December 31, 1999

LONDON, Dec. 30— A man armed with a large knife broke into the house of George Harrison, the former Beatle, early this morning and stabbed him in the chest, the authorities said, and evidence emerged that the assailant may have harbored a dangerous obsession with the band.

Mr. Harrison, 56, one of three remaining members of the Beatles after the murder of John Lennon by a crazed fan 19 years ago, was treated for a collapsed lung and various minor stab wounds at a hospital near his home in Henley-on-Thames. He was listed in stable condition tonight, and doctors said that his wounds were not life-threatening.

His wife, Olivia, was treated for cuts and bruises she had suffered in the struggle with the intruder and released.

The police said they had arrested a 33-year-old man from Liverpool, the hometown of all four Beatles, on suspicion of attempted murder. In keeping with standard British practice, the police would not release the suspect's name or give details about the investigation. But they did say that it was possible it was a deliberate attack, rather than a simple break-in.

''I am not at all sure this is a burglary that went wrong,'' Detective Chief Inspector Euan Read, who is leading the investigation for the Thames Valley Police, told reporters outside Mr. Harrison's enormous estate.

And as the day wore on, there were suggestions that the suspect -- identified in news media reports as Michael Abram after the police searched a Liverpool house where he is listed as the occupant -- had nursed an irrational obsession with the Beatles, as had Mark Chapman with John Lennon, whom he shot and killed outside the Dakota apartment building on Central Park West in Manhattan on Dec. 8, 1980.

In an interview in The Liverpool Echo today, Mr. Abram's mother, Lynda, said her son is a mentally ill former heroin addict who hears voices in his head, sees things emerging from walls and ''takes all music literally.'' After a brief obsession with Oasis, a Beatles-influenced British band, she said, Mr. Abram had ''been running in pubs shouting about the Beatles.''

Mr. Abram ''hates them and even believes they are witches and takes their music seriously,'' his mother said of the Beatles. ''He started to wear a Walkman to play music to stop the voices in his head.''

From his hospital bed, Mr. Harrison, who was profoundly disturbed by Mr. Lennon's murder and has himself been the target of death threats and stalkers in past years, told the authorities that he did not believe the assailant was a burglar. Mark Gritten, the chief executive of the Royal Berkshire Hospital, where Mr. Harrison was taken after the attack, said, ''The quote he gave me was that the man wasn't a burglar but that 'he certainly wasn't auditioning for the Traveling Wilburys.' ''

The Traveling Wilburys are a band set up in the 1980's by Mr. Harrison, along with Roy Orbison, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan and Jeff Lynne.

The police said the attack took place at around 3:30 a.m. when a man armed with a knife six or seven inches long broke a window and entered Friar Park, the Harrisons' estate in Henley-on-Thames, about 25 miles west of London.

The house, which is set on 34 acres and has dozens of rooms, is known as Fort Knox to neighbors because of the stringent security measures there, including powerful lights, video cameras, a razor-wire fence and electronically controlled gates.

The intruder hit Mrs. Harrison on the head and then repeatedly stabbed Mr. Harrison when he went to his wife's aid, leaving him with a one-inch wound in his chest and other, minor injuries, the police said. The couple fought back and inflicted head injuries on the intruder, detaining him while a member of their staff called the police.

Mr. and Mrs. Harrison were treated at the Royal Berkshire Hospital. Their assailant was treated for minor injuries at a nearby hospital before being turned over to the police.

William Fountain, the surgeon who treated Mr. Harrison, said he had had a narrow escape that was little short of miraculous. The knife barely missed piercing the superior vena cava, a vein that carries blood from the head, arms and upper body to the heart, he told reporters.

''No stab wound to the chest is minor,'' he said. ''In Mr. Harrison's case, it is just by chance that it is not particularly serious.''

The doctor said that Mr. Harrison, who was later moved to Harefield Hospital, which is better equipped to treat chest injuries, was ''having serious painkillers because this is a seriously painful injury.'' The physical recovery should take about two to three weeks, he said, although ''it may be a bit longer to be mentally fully fit'' after such an ordeal.

Mr. Harrison, the former lead guitarist of the Beatles, did not achieve the high profile of his charismatic bandmates, John Lennon and Sir Paul McCartney, until after the band broke up in 1970. Embarking on a successful solo career with the release of the single ''My Sweet Lord'' and a number of albums, he became increasingly interested in spirituality, giving up meat, rejecting the life of a rock celebrity, and often using a false name in his travels.

In recent years, he collaborated again with Sir Paul to produce the phenomenally successful Beatles Anthology, a series of albums and videos. His marriage to the model Patti Boyd broke up in 1974 after she left him for his friend the musician Eric Clapton. He married Olivia, the mother of his son, Dhani, in 1978.

Mr. Harrison is obsessed with security and privacy, particularly since Mr. Lennon's murder.

''After what happened to John, I'm absolutely terrified,'' he said in 1984. He had reason to be worried: in 1990, he was sent a series of death threats at home, and two years later the police found an obsessed Beatles fan lurking around his house, apparently with the intention of burning it down.

Several years ago, Mr. Harrison was found to have throat cancer, which he attributed to many years of smoking. But the condition was successfully treated with radiation therapy, and Mr. Harrison said afterward that his doctors had called the growth on his throat ''more of a warning than anything else.''

On hearing of today's attack, Sir Paul issued a statement saying: ''Thank God both George and Olivia are all right. I send them all my love.''
send George and Olivia all our love and wish George a speedy recovery,'' he said.

From California, the other surviving Beatle, Ringo Starr, said that he and his wife, Barbara Bach, were deeply shocked. ''We
send George and Olivia all our love and wish George a speedy recovery,'' he said.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby derekjdavis » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:23 pm

chris wrote:The house, which is set on 34 acres and has dozens of rooms, is known as Fort Knox to neighbors because of the stringent security measures there, including powerful lights, video cameras, a razor-wire fence and electronically controlled gates.

If it's so protected then how did the guy get in?! Thanks for posting. I never knew this much in detail. So scary. Can you imagine two of the Beatles being murdered? Gosh. I'm glad I'm not famous!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby KaiMcCart » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:03 am

hanks for the info. Now I can see why Paul thinks that he is next after Ringo's attempt at murder. :shock: :shock:
Im going to see Paul McCartney on the thursday he's in pittsburg! Im so exited! :D
KaiMcCart

Postby chris » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:15 am

Ringo attempted to murder someone?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby flextint » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:54 am

He may have murdered a couple of songs in his time but.... :o
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:54 pm

:lol: ..now THAT was funny.

I think all that security went in After he was attacked. I think I just read recently that some neighbours were upset about the razor wire harming their cats, and it was removed.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby derekjdavis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:17 pm

flextint wrote:He may have murdered a couple of songs in his time but.... :o

haha true!

Golden Blunders? Eck. lol
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Return to GEORGE