What the heck?!?!

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

What the heck?!?!

Postby derekjdavis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:01 am

What is Paul doing performing this in 2009 last year?! Why is he doing Cosmically Conscious?! Is it just me or is that completely random?!

Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Re: What the heck?!?!

Postby chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:21 am

Of course it's random. Random is good. Random means anything might be possible. We want random.

Know what isn't random? Hey Jude. And Live and Let Die.

The idea that you can possibly hear anything that he's ever written, even something as insignificant as Cosmically Conscious, makes attending his concert even...oh, I don't know...even cooler, somehow, doesn't it?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby derekjdavis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:37 am

chris wrote:Of course it's random. Random is good. Random means anything might be possible. We want random.

Know what isn't random? Hey Jude. And Live and Let Die.

The idea that you can possibly hear anything that he's ever written, even something as insignificant as Cosmically Conscious, makes attending his concert even...oh, I don't know...even cooler, somehow, doesn't it?

Well I agree! I'm just stunned at this song. I mean this wasn't part of his tour setlist or anything right? It just seems way too random. I'm not knocking it, I think it's awesome. However I'm just baffled. It doesn't seem like something Macca would do lol
derekjdavis

Postby eggman1979 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:11 am

I just loved this moment, it was a big surprise. Too bad the other performers didn't know this song and just followed him but it sounded good. This is one of my favourites from Paul.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 am

It wasn't random at all. Paul must have thought Cosmically Conscious fits the occasion and I do believe it did. Notice who the drummer is? Ringo. A goodjam song for all onstage, a mantra. The event was a special concert for Paul McCartney And Friends: Change Begins Within Benefit Concert

Paul McCartney and special guests Ringo Starr, Sheryl Crow, Donovan, Eddie Vedder, Ben Harper, Moby, Paul Horn, Bettye LaVette, and Jim James will perform at the David Lynch Foundation's benefit concert, "Change Begins Within," at Radio City Music Hall in New York on Saturday, April 4th, 7:30 p.m.

David Lynch, Russell Simmons, Laura Dern, and other surprise guests will fill out the star-studded slate as presenters.

Tickets will go on sale on Monday, March 9, at 11 a.m. through ticketmaster.com, or by calling 866-858-0008.

“Change Begins Within” will raise funds to teach one million at-risk children to meditate—giving them life-long tools to overcome stress and violence and promote peace and success in their lives. In 1968, the Beatles, Donovan, and Paul Horn traveled to India to study Transcendental Meditation with Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. The trip’s dramatic impact was evident on their music and is credited for the acceptance of meditation in the West today.

Paul McCartney said his Transcendental Meditation practice has helped him personally over the past 40 years. “In moments of madness, it has helped me find moments of serenity,” Paul said. He added that he supports the work of the David Lynch Foundation to bring the technique to one million children for the same reason. “I would like to think that it would help provide them a quiet haven in a not-so-quiet world.”

Ringo Starr expressed his personal satisfaction to be performing at the concert: “It gives me great pleasure to be part of this evening. I feel the aims of this charity are wonderful!”

Donovan added: “How great to be playing with Paul, Ringo, and Paul Horn again—as we did in India in 1968. And now we see the amazing results of our work from 40 years ago to bring meditation to the whole world. It’s the same message today, which is, ‘Change begins within.’”

http://www.macca-central.com/news/?2982
http://www.macca-central.com/news/?2985
http://www.macca-central.com/news/?2988
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby derekjdavis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:15 pm

Mike wrote:It wasn't random at all. Paul must have thought Cosmically Conscious fits the occasion and I do believe it did. Notice who the drummer is? Ringo. A goodjam song for all onstage, a mantra.

Well I don't see what the drummer has to do with it. I saw who the drummer was of course. I understand that it was composed in India with Donovan and Ringo, and there are pictures of India in the background. So yes, I now understand it is relevant. However I'm stunned that Paul pulled out a song like that for a relevant occasion. Paul's known for NOT doing such. Ex: Back Seat of my Car in Mexico City, Junior's Farm in Nashville, Sally G in Nashville, Kansas City in Kansas (really big stunner). So forgive me if I seem suprised that he'd do such for this occasion after being let down many times.
derekjdavis

Postby chris » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 pm

derekjdavis wrote: So forgive me if I seem suprised that he'd do such for this occasion after being let down many times.

someone lets me down time after time, i learn from it. why do you put yourself thru such torture if you get let down so often?
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby derekjdavis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:46 pm

chris wrote:
derekjdavis wrote: So forgive me if I seem suprised that he'd do such for this occasion after being let down many times.

someone lets me down time after time, i learn from it. why do you put yourself thru such torture if you get let down so often?

Because there are times like these where he kicks ass and pulls something like cosmically conscious out of the hat. I wasn't knocking the fact that he did it. It's great. I'm just explaning why I am suprised at it.
derekjdavis

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:11 pm

Derek I know where your coming from but I do think some people just expect way too much from Paul. It's not enough that he is touring, they want more. Of course you should not be surprised that he does not vary his setlist. He never ever has done that as a Beatles or as a solo act. It's not how he does things. He has the band work out a fixed set of songs with some extras to fill in and tweak. Yes, he has done just that again on this tour.

Do I want more solo, more Wings, yes, but it isn't going to happen. This has been discussed so often. Arenas, stadiums still get sold out so there are plenty of people willing to listen to Paul and the band. Many people have not yet seen him live. Many of us on this site have seen him more than once and for the purpose of discussion I do see and agree with your point.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby mr h atom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:30 am

besides, if you delve deeper, derek, you will find that he actually does this sort of thing quite often, and thru the various threads, you'll see people talk about it.

he did do 'kansas city' back in '93, in kansas city...he just tends to be very selective...

you are quite correct...he can miss some big ones (mexico city comes mostly to mind) but, until he changes venues/style/approach...the tweaks will be few...

that is why one gigantic live compilation album, culling all these little bits, (as opposed to another set from just this tour) would be a far better way of acknowledging both his career and his fans...if he deems to dip into that well again.
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours