Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby james1985 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:48 pm

And whilst we're on politics, maybe Paul should have spent less time cracking easy Bush jokes and maybe asked what on earth a supposedly liberal president was doing sending thousands more troops to die in a pointless and unwinnable war....
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
User avatar
james1985
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 4184
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:06 pm
Location: The old UK

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:34 pm

Of course Wonder and Costello are great. Though I'm not into their music I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm being unfair but I just don't like the Jonas Brothers were there. I must admit I don't know the rest of the performers, I guess I'll have to watch this show and get into their music to have an opinnion.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
User avatar
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Zitácuaro, Michoacán, México

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby Craigerb » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:18 pm

I was upset when so few of the invited artists did McCartney solo stuff. Then Paul did very little of it himself!
At least there was no Bush joke.
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
User avatar
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 2:40 pm

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby chris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 pm

eggman1979 wrote:Of course Wonder and Costello are great. Though I'm not into their music I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm being unfair but I just don't like the Jonas Brothers were there. I must admit I don't know the rest of the performers, I guess I'll have to watch this show and get into their music to have an opinnion.


look...no one likes the jonas brothers. but i wouldn't let a 3 minute cover tune, sung by a boy band (at least paul's band supplied the musicianship) ruin an otherwise good time. see it. then decide.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
User avatar
chris
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 3751
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: Chicago, U.S.A

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby amazedbypaul » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 pm

I must admit that "For no one" was never a favorite Paul song for me. But after watching Emilou Harris perform it at the White house I have changed my mind. She really made me pay attention to the lyrics and sang it with so much passion and emotion it was like hearing it for the first time. Actually, the words are pretty heart breaking. It is amazing how an artist can interprete a song and make it their own. Which is actually what she did with "For no one". I'm sure Paul felt the same way and that's why he asked her to perform it. It really is just a beautiful song. Bluegrass singer Allison Krause did the same thing with another song "Now that I found you" originally performed by "the Foundations."
User avatar
amazedbypaul
Supporter
Supporter
 
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:54 pm
Location: Gainesville,Fl

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby little lamb dragonfly » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 pm

I thought the whole show was great, really great, in fact. Like anyone over 14, I think the Jonas Brothers are douchebags, but to be honest, there cover of Drive My Car was just fine. I actually wish Paul would stop playing it, as it sounds too "pop" in concert and his vocal is always buried in the mix. I thought the way Paul's band played it fit perfectly with the tween-pop sound of the Jonas Brothers, if that makes any sense. Surprisingly, the most disappointing performance for me was Jack White's Mother Nature's Son. He should have bothered to learn how to play the song correctly on guitar (a good number of the chords actually weren't right--half the beauty of the song is in the intricacy of the guitar part). I love Jack White and expected his version to be spectacular.

Anyway, overall, great show. So much fun to see my two heroes (Paul and BHO) sharing the stage.
User avatar
little lamb dragonfly
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:07 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby eggman1979 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:56 am

chris wrote:
eggman1979 wrote:Of course Wonder and Costello are great. Though I'm not into their music I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm being unfair but I just don't like the Jonas Brothers were there. I must admit I don't know the rest of the performers, I guess I'll have to watch this show and get into their music to have an opinnion.


look...no one likes the jonas brothers. but i wouldn't let a 3 minute cover tune, sung by a boy band (at least paul's band supplied the musicianship) ruin an otherwise good time. see it. then decide.



You're absolutely right Chris. Actually I really want to watch this show, I just expressed that I don't like this band. I also don't like the fact that it seems they only pay tribute to the Beatle Paul. This could be the perfect time for us to hear those songs Paul will never do live. Wouldn't you like to have on the set list songs like Little lamb dragonfly, Rocky Raccoon, Back seat of my car, The world tonight, So glad to see you here, etc. Maybe an All star Rockestra theme (with Paul on piano) finale? Wouldn't be great???
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
User avatar
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:44 pm
Location: Zitácuaro, Michoacán, México

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby derekjdavis » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:20 pm

eggman1979 wrote:
chris wrote:
eggman1979 wrote:Of course Wonder and Costello are great. Though I'm not into their music I'm aware of that. Maybe I'm being unfair but I just don't like the Jonas Brothers were there. I must admit I don't know the rest of the performers, I guess I'll have to watch this show and get into their music to have an opinnion.


look...no one likes the jonas brothers. but i wouldn't let a 3 minute cover tune, sung by a boy band (at least paul's band supplied the musicianship) ruin an otherwise good time. see it. then decide.



You're absolutely right Chris. Actually I really want to watch this show, I just expressed that I don't like this band. I also don't like the fact that it seems they only pay tribute to the Beatle Paul. This could be the perfect time for us to hear those songs Paul will never do live. Wouldn't you like to have on the set list songs like Little lamb dragonfly, Rocky Raccoon, Back seat of my car, The world tonight, So glad to see you here, etc. Maybe an All star Rockestra theme (with Paul on piano) finale? Wouldn't be great???

YES!!! Bill Clinton could've showed up with his sax and done Listen to what the man said! lol
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby foxylady » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:56 pm

I really liked the show. Saw it online on pbs.org.
Did you also see the web-exclusive interview with Paul, where he talks about how music from the past influenced him (and Lennon)?
http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewh ... /video.php (scroll)
foxylady
New Member
New Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby derekjdavis » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:09 pm

foxylady wrote:I really liked the show. Saw it online on pbs.org.
Did you also see the web-exclusive interview with Paul, where he talks about how music from the past influenced him (and Lennon)?
http://www.pbs.org/inperformanceatthewh ... /video.php (scroll)

Thank you very much for the link!!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis
Jr. Member
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to MACCA In-The-Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron