Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

This forum is to alert fans when Paul pops up on TV, radio, magazines, newspapers, websites.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:13 pm

"Paul McCartney: The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song In Performance at the White House" airs on Wednesday, July 28 at 8 p.m. ET on PBS stations nationwide, followed by an encore presentation at 9:30 p.m. Airs in Chicago on WTTW Ch.11 @ 8pm - 9:30pm. Encore performance from 9:30pm - 11pm.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Paul McCartney @ The White House 7/28 on PBS

Postby Awesoman » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 am

Just finished watching it. Overall it was a nice little concert. If you are not a fan of Obama (which I am certainly NOT), be prepared to fast-forward through quite a bit of ass-kissing over the President. And that's all I'll say about that.

As far as the performances go, Stevie Wonder certainly stole a lot of the show with his take on "We Can Work It Out". Paul's band really appeared to be into it. Hanson---err, excuse me, The Jonas Brothers put on a decent version of "Drive My Car". I only played through bits and pieces of a lot of the other performances after this point. It was cool to hear Paul and Stevie perform "Ebony & Ivory". Both were in fine vocal form for that one. Paul's performances were a little predictable but at least his voice sounded natural, unlike it did with the poorly-mixed and produced Good Evening New York City.

I can't say this is one that will get too many repeated viewings at my place, but it was cool to see Paul win this award.
Awesoman

Postby derekjdavis » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:38 am

Awesoman wrote:Just finished watching it. Overall it was a nice little concert. If you are not a fan of Obama (which I am certainly NOT), be prepared to fast-forward through quite a bit of ass-kissing over the President. And that's all I'll say about that.

As far as the performances go, Stevie Wonder certainly stole a lot of the show with his take on "We Can Work It Out". Paul's band really appeared to be into it. Hanson---err, excuse me, The Jonas Brothers put on a decent version of "Drive My Car". I only played through bits and pieces of a lot of the other performances after this point. It was cool to hear Paul and Stevie perform "Ebony & Ivory". Both were in fine vocal form for that one. Paul's performances were a little predictable but at least his voice sounded natural, unlike it did with the poorly-mixed and produced Good Evening New York City.

I can't say this is one that will get too many repeated viewings at my place, but it was cool to see Paul win this award.

I agree with your assessment. Only problem is now that I just watched it I can't go to sleep! I'm far too engrossed in this man! His music never leaves my head! It's just mindblowing.
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby EddieV » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:38 am

I loved Jack White, especially when he at the end plays That Would Be Something!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:13 am

I thought it was great - I LIKE Obama, so I had no problem with the political content :smile:

I thought one of the most impressive things was Paul's band carrying all the other artists- man, those guys are GOOD. They ought to put it all together and release an album of their own without Paul - between Brian and Rusty's songwriting and Abe's beautiful vocals they could be on to something. But I digress.

As far as the setlist...

Highlights:
Jack White, though he looked nervous, did a great rendition of Mother Nature's Son, AND threw in That Would Be Something!

Stevie Wonder's We Can Work It Out was great. Ebony and Ivory was OK, fitting for the occasion - but Paul doesn't need to add this to his tour set list.

Elvis Costello's Penny Land- dang, that SOUNDS like an Elvis Costello song the way he sings it. You can really see the connection between the Beatles and E.C. from this performance.

Emmylou Harris - For No One. Turned it into a country song about female empowerment. Wow.

Lowlights:
The Jonas Brothers... ugh! At least they could have done a different arrangement of Drive My Car, and not just played Paul's arrangement with their vocals. Worthless.

As far as Paul:
He needs to stop playing Got To Get You Into My Life-- its awkward without live horns and really seems to strain the vocals.

Where is the solo stuff? Paul should have played Here Today, or Let 'em In.

And Jerry Seinfeld missed a joke:
Atfer talking about all those songs that sound like a husaband (can we just LET IT BE!) he should have said "and of course there are the songs where Paul sounds like an old man... can someone PLEASE- just open the door and let 'em in!"
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:57 pm

I, too, had no problem with the political content (not that there was that much, really). But I guess I can understand how you would if you are on the other side of the aisle.

Highlights for me were Jack White doing a nervous as hell Mother Natures Son. Emmylou Harris did a STUNNING version of For No One (made it sound like it was her song). And Dave Grohl (big fan) did a nice Band on the Run.

And how great was EC's Penny Lane? With an actual piccolo trumpet solo. That's how you get it done!

The more I see this band, the better they become. My only issue is one that many of us have...please get a horn section, Paul.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Haven't watched this yet but reading your posts I can feel it was a little poor. I mean, If you want to recognize the man then you must do it with real, huge stars. Real musicians who play at his level or close to it. The Jonas Brothers? What is this? Disney Channel? I think this man deserves much more than that, something like the wonderful Concert for George.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JennyWren » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:25 pm

I guess I'm in the minority. I wasn't impressed by any of the other artists, I kinda thought they were butchering the songs. I'm admit that might be because I'm a purist snob who thinks only Macca can perform Macca tunes well.

But, I did love that Celebrations was performed OMG, I love that. Such a beautiful work that has gotten little attention, I'm glad it was presented.

And, of course, it was great to see Macca and the band. They all were awesome.

JennyWren
JennyWren
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:53 pm

, If you want to recognize the man then you must do it with real, huge stars. Real musicians who play at his level or close to it. The Jonas Brothers? What is this? Disney Channel? I think this man deserves much more than that, something like the wonderful Concert for George.

When Paul is dead, I am sure they'll have a great big concert - and I hope that is a long, long time from now.

Anyway-- they have a very short time to get all this in, so you can't really have EVERYONE.

So let's review the artists--

Stevie Wonder- doesn't get any bigger than that!

Jack White-Dave Grohl-- they're my choices for newer artists to perform- they both are huge Paul fans too.

Elvis Costello- an obvious choice of someone to perform here. He did a great job too.

Emmylou Harris-- she's amazing.

Faith Hill-- Eh- could have done without that one.

Jonas Brothers-- realize PAUL asked for them specifically for the Obama girls. Not gonna override Paul.

Herbie Hancock-- he's one of the greats, man. And he did a fantastic job w/Corinne Bailey Rae.

The only two people I think are missing here, are Brian Wilson and Neil Young. Would have especially loved to see Brian.

And PLEASE Paul, get a horn section.

It really pissed me off in 2002- when he spent money on all those CIRCUS :roll: performers, but didn't hire a 4 piece horn section(!)
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Emmylou has been doing For No One for years. She really has a beautiful voice (Desire and I'm Wide Awake It's Morning are both albums that benefit hugely from her harmonies)

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA In-The-Media