Up and Coming Tour: Kansas City: 07-24-2010

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Up and Coming Tour: Kansas City: 07-24-2010

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:28 am

concert discussions
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Re: Up and Coming Tour: Kansas City: 07-24-2010

Postby luvsmacca » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:33 am

Hi Mike I am going to the concert, and will let you know how it all went ok? I hope to go to soundcheck this afternoon, in Kansas city Missouri today.. is Bob coming Mike? I also told the list I was going, guess the list is down or something? cant wait to see the RED MACCA Trucks down their! they just arrived last night. anyone else here going to the concert? I am also arriving in a Limo. OmG I cant believe it!!!
luvsmacca
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:40 am

Hope you have a great time. Hope, what am I talking about. I know you'll have a great time.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Review: Kansas City, 7/24/10

Postby jgkojak » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:33 am

Interestingly, Paul comes to Kansas Cit at 17 year intervals (76, 93, 10).

First up-- he did not, surprisingly do Kansas City. He teased the audience a bit with "everything's up to date in Kansas City" from Oklahoma... we were all sure it'd be in the encores. Also, no Got To Get You Into My Life (no loss), I'm Looking Through You or Two of Us- the last two are disappointing to miss.

That said...

What an amazing show. I saw Paul in 2002 in Dallas, and the band is so much tighter than it was then its amazing. Basically, they rock harder than they did in 2002 across the board. Second, Paul's voice was in better form than I have heard it since Glastonbury (of course, I've only seen video). Even on Letterman I felt Paul's vocie wasn't all there- but here it was impressive throughout the night- it cracked almost never, and he seemed to have some pretty impressive command that I haven't heard him have in a long time. He even hit a couple well-practiced high notes. Just impressive.

Now... song for song...

Pre-show: Had a scrolling collage on the vid monitor that looked a little amateurish. Played mix of cover versions (a jazz cover of Monkberry), Twin Freaks/Fireman/classical, etc. Immediately prior really turned it up for Goodnight Tonight and Temporary Secretary.

Show:
Venus and Mars/Rock Show (part)/
Jet
Damn this was good- you could tell from the beginning that Paul's voice was all there- I watched some V&M from '76 when I got home, and Paul's voice is equal to his voice then for this song. Wow. Rock Show was nice, Jet just blew me away. I hope they taped this for a live DVD- because this was the best Jet I'd heard in a long while.

All My Loving
This was nice. Wix plays guitar too on this one.

Letting Go
A highlight- absolutely rocked the house- Again, Paul's voice was spot-on, sounded like 30 years ago. The band on here really rocked. An observation about Wix- on tape and CD, his horn samples don't sound right- they are great live in the house and you don't miss the live horns.

Drive My Car
Would have preferred Two of Us/Looking Through You. Oh well. This was a nice version.

Highway
Memo to people who get up to go to the bathroom: you are missing out. This one rocked, especially at the end. I think Paul should play something really obscure (like This Loving Game) and STOP IT halfway through when everyone is in the bathroom- then play something really freakin' awesome. The end of Highway just rocked- its really a different song live (same with Sing the Changes).

Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady
Can't miss with this one- Paul plays some great guitar- again, spot on vocals- I have never heard Paul hit so many in a row. Paul told Jimmy Hendrix playing Pepper two days after release after this.

Long and Winding Road
Nice version, I like the arrangement they're using.

This and Let 'em In are highlights of the evening. Just wow. I never thought I'd see Paul play this live- it has long topped my wishlist, and here it is. My friend, who purposely refused to read set-list reviews so he'd be surprised, was quite impressed this came up.

Let 'em In
What a great performance. Anyone notice Paul repeats "Auntie Jin" instead of saying "Uncle Inn"? during this tour?

My Love
Dedicated to Linda. Beautiful. He hit a couple tough notes on this one.

Blackbird
Told civil rights story - said we've come a long way after.

Here Today
Dedicated to John/big hand for John.

Dance Tonight
Said we need to lighten the mood- nice version of this one tonight- the only newer song people didn't leave for-- makes me think this one is become a staple/classic of his sets.

Mrs Vanderbilt
Russian dance finish-- told how Ukrainians love this.

Eleanor Rigby
Nice version- again, Wix keyboards sounded OK, better than they do on CD.

Something
Ukelele to band version. Pics of George while playing. Nice. George got what seemed like a bigger hand than John.

Sing the Changes
Weird psychadelic Obama graphic (I would only know its Obama because I had seen the picture-- here they just barely showed a light-show profile-- not sure if this is standard or if because Obama is not as popular in midwest- nobody booed.)
This is another song that has really been worked into something special as a live song.

Band on the Run
Nice version.

Ob La Di Ob La Da
Probably the biggest audience reaction of the night of any song played- those opening chords got people on their feet.

Back in the USSR
Good version.

I've Got a Feeling
Nice extended jam at the end -- hadn't heard this before.

Paperback Writer
Paul introduces original Epiphone, funny joke about switching guitars all the time just to show off.

A Day in the Life/Give Peace a Chance
Medley with Give Peace a Chance - fun to see the 55 year old bankers singing along.

Let It Be
Nice version- Rusty really nails that solo.

Live and Let Die
Nice pyro- song ends with Pyro as well.

Hey Jude
Asked ladies and men to sing seperately then together.

Encore: Day Tripper, Lady Madonna, Get Back
This is where we thought we'd hear Kansas City. Oh well.

Encore 2: Yesterday, Helter Skelter, Sgt Pepper (reprise), The End
Good version of Yesterday. Helter Skelter just tore the house up-- I actually think it shocked a few people who were more there to sing along to Yesterday and Drive My Car-- nice.

Overall, I am just impressed with Paul's voice- I had worried that he didn't have much in him- but it was just amazing. He actually seemed healthier/more together musically and physically than he did in 2002 (gee, wonder why).

:cheers
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Review: Kansas City, 7/24/10

Postby jgkojak » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:02 am

I'll also note Paul made a geography Faux Pas...

He said "Its good to be in Kansas"-- but Sprint Center is in Kansas City MISSOURI
the crowd shouted at him a couple times - he said it twice!
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:39 am

jgkojak wrote: Anyone notice Paul repeats "Auntie Jin" instead of saying "Uncle Inn"? during this tour?

Yeah, I noticed that - only time I got the words "wrong" :lol:

Glad you had a good time, it blew me away too the other week.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:00 am

Great review, jgkojak

Must have played Jet a thousand times and it still great!! I have had my doubts about Jet!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby hoaxer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:26 pm

That is a very good summary of the show...I thought it was great but we had second row center tickets and my eyebrows are just now getting back to normal after the pyrotechnics from L & LD, so of course I would think that...I would only add that I thought "I've just seen a face" and "and I love her" were good replacements for the songs that were omitted in KC. Anyway, I have seen Paul so many times and each time just seems to be getting better all the time...It was a great experience at a great venue and my wife and I had a blast...
hoaxer

Postby fotobobb » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Attended the Kansas City concert and took my wife, who is a country fan and my 12 yr old daughter. Was almost the same show I saw the year
before in Tulsa, maybe 8 different songs. I knew this going in and bought tickets anyway. This is my 5 Macca concert , (90, 93,02,09,10) and loved them all.
I just wish Paul would change up songs some. I have heard the same last encore three times now.

For die hard fans I would pay big money to see him play just solo songs. His work during wings and later solo work is so underrated. He could advertise this
before hand so fans who want to hear Hey Jude again or yesterday again would not be disappointed.

I loved hearing Rock show but he cut if short and once again got into jet. The way he sang it on wings over america was much better.
Letting go was great, 1985 was a true treat. I do not need to hear let me roll it again, 4 times is enough.

Best concert I have seen from Paul was at Cyclone stadium in Ames Iowa, the first one. But he amazes me, his energy is so great and the voice is still strong.

Songs I long to hear live, Hi Hi Hi, Helen Wheels, Juniors Farm, magnito, Beware my love, Cafe on the Left Bank, Soily, Getting Closer and Spin it On, Take It away, anything from flaming pie.
What a great concert, next time how about mixing up some other classics Paul. Thanks for all the wonderful music.
fotobobb

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours