Eccleston Plays "Naked" John Lennon

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:14 pm

Monday, November 30, 2009

By Garth Franklin

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/15782/eccleston-plays-naked-john-lennon-

Christopher Eccleston

Naoko Mori

British thesp Christopher Eccleston ("Heroes," "Doctor Who," "Elizabeth") has signed on to play John Lennon in Blast! Films and BBC Four's biopic "Naked Lennon" reports Variety.

Set between 1967 and 1971, the film deals with the end of Lennon's first marriage to Cynthia, Yoko Ono entering his life, the death of manager Brian Epstein and the band's own messy and acrimonious disintegration.

"Torchwood" and "Absolutely Fabulous" actress Naoko Mori, who appeared opposite Eccleston in a 2005 episode of "Doctor Who", is set to play Yoko. Also in the cast are Claudine Blakely ("Lark Rise to Candleford," "Pride and Prejudice") as his first wife, Andrew Scott ("Longitude," "John Adams") as Paul McCartney, and Rory Kinnear ("Quantum of Solace," "Cranford") as Brian Epstein

Robert Jones, creator of BBC's acclaimed series "Party Animals", penned the script. Filming is underway in London for an airing sometime next year.

The project comes not long after "Nowhere Boy", Sam Taylor Wood's 1950's-set feature film which looks at Lennon's teenage years and has so far drawn mixed reviews.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Re: Eccleston Plays "Naked" John Lennon

Postby I am the Paulrus » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:44 pm

Rory Kinnear (Brian Epstein) is the son of Roy Kinnear who played Algernon, one of the mad scientists in "Help!"
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Former Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston transforms into late Beatles singer John Lennon for new BBC film

Jan 16 2010

by Tina Miles, Liverpool Echo

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-entertainment/the-beatles/the-beatles-news/2010/01/16/former-doctor-who-star-christopher-eccleston-transforms-into-late-beatles-singer-john-lennon-for-new-bbc-film-100252-25612169/

HERE is ex-Doctor Who star Christopher Eccleston transformed into late Beatles singer John Lennon.

The 45-year-old has donned glasses and grown his hair to take the role of the musical legend for new BBC4 drama Lennon Naked.

In a newly released publicity shot the former Time Lord wears a replica white suit worn by Lennon in 1968 at an art gallery with wife Yoko Ono.

The one-off 90-minute film, which looks at Beatle’s life from 1967 to 1971, will be part of the BBC’s new spring drama season.

Lennon Naked will see the Salford-born actor play the iconic singer from his time in the Beatles through to his later years.

It features the effect on Lennon of the death of the Beatles’ manager, Brian Epstein, and the impact of re-establishing contact with his long-lost father Freddie.

The film also covers the break-up of his marriage to Cynthia Lennon and his relationship with Yoko Ono.

Yoko Ono is played by Naoko Mori, of Torchwood and Absolutely Fabulous, Brian Epstein by Laurence Olivier Award winner Rory Kinnear and Cynthia Lennon by Cranford actress Claudie Blakley.Other cast members include Andrew Scott as Paul McCartney, Christopher Fairbank as Freddie Lennon, Allan Corduner as Art Janov and Michael Colgan as Derek Taylor.

Ben Stephenson, the BBC’s controller of drama commissioning, said: “Securing Christopher Eccleston to play John Lennon is further testament to the calibre of drama on BBC4.

“The Women We Loved season attracted record audiences and the channel is steadily building a reputation for portraying some of this country's best-loved icons.”Other cast members include Andrew Scott as Paul McCartney, Christopher Fairbank as Freddie Lennon, Allan Corduner as Art Janov and Michael Colgan as Derek Taylor.

Ben Stephenson, the BBC’s controller of drama commissioning, said: “Securing Christopher Eccleston to play John Lennon is further testament to the calibre of drama on BBC4.

Richard Klein, controller of BBC4, said: “BBC4 is the place where dramas look to explore that space between artists' public works and private lives, shedding light on the artistic process while offering intelligent entertainment.”

Lennon Naked was written by Robert Jones, the co-creator of BBC drama Party Animals.

It was filmed in London by the independent producer Blast! Films and is due to air in the next few months.

The director and co-producer is Edmund Coulthard, whose credits include Soundproof. Katherine Lannon, who worked on BBC4's The Secret Life of Mrs Beeton, is co-producer.

In 1995, Christopher Eccleston starred in award-winning Liverpool writer Jimmy McGovern’s Hearts and Minds, about a young teacher working at a tough comprehensive school in Liverpool.

He also appeared in Jimmy's acclaimed drama-documentary Hillsborough, which was widely acknowledged for reigniting the families fight for justice.

The programme, which won a BAFTA for Best Single Drama, documented the football tragedy that killed 96 Liverpool fans.

It featured Christopher and Royle Family actor Ricky Tomlinson playing the part of people who lost loved ones on April 15, 1989.

Hillsborough was released on DVD for the first time in September last year.

Christopher played the ninth Doctor in Doctor Who but quit as the Time Lord in 2005 after just one episode of the new series was screened.

The actor, who has also appeared in the sci-fi TV show Heroes, was replaced by David Tennant. Unknown stage actor Matt Smith took over from Tennant this year.
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby redrose » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:28 am

The play was very moving, and provoked a lot of thought and undertanding as to why Lennon became the complicated person with his many emotional hang ups. The play came from a collection of dramas themed on fatherhood, and showed how John was 'abandoned' by Alf/Freddie and also Julia. The sad part was that both his parents left the decision up to John to decide who he wanted to live with, but at the tender age of 5 years old, it was an enormous responsibility to give to a child. Freddie did want to start a new life in New Zealand with John, and Julia had begun her new relationship with Bobby Dykins. In the end, he stayed with neither parent, as his aunt Mimi stepped in and became his guardian because she didn't approve of either Julia or Freddie. I don't suppose any of the key players had any idea how damaging the consequences were to a young boy, and how rejected he felt. It makes you wonder if his sarcasm and cruelty were a self preservation mechanism against future hurt. It also explains to me why John was so possessive with his women, and why he wrote songs about not being rejected or let down.

The parallels were quite uncanny, and showed history repeating itself many times. John eventually abandoned Julian around the age of 5 when he left Cynthia to be with Yoko. He 'left' Sean at the same age of 5 when he was murdered.

A very complex man.

redrose @};-
redrose
redrose

Postby 2 of 3 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:57 am

Yeah, after seeing this movie, all I could think was...wow....Lennon was a real mess. Good flick though.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby I am the Paulrus » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:59 pm

Just a reminder that tonight, Nov. 21, on PBS @ 9pm EST/ 8pm CST on "Masterpiece" hosted by David Tennant (the 10th Doctor Who) is "Lennon Naked" starring Christopher Eccleston (the 9th Doctor Who) and Naoko Mori ("Torchwood") as Yoko Ono, and Rory Kinnear (son of British comedian Roy Kinnear who played Algernon in "Help!" and appeared with John Lennon in "How I Won The War") as Brian Epstein.

ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Postby I am the Paulrus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:21 am

I saw some inaccuracies in here: John was taller than Paul. In reality, they were around the same height. At the beginning of the film, John in 1964 looked like John from 1980. And he looked like Ringo from 1964. In 1969, there are showing John and Yoko at a press conference talking to a reporter named Gloria Emerson. They show that same meeting of John, Yoko, and Gloria Emerson but it was in a conference room at Apple in "Imagine: John Lennon." John's hair length was too long for 1968. That was his 1969/70 hair length. And towards the end of the film when they show John and Yoko jetting off to Gibrilatar to get married in 1969, John is cleanshaven. He had a beard when they got married. There is a scene in 1969/1970 where John gets out of his limo, hops over the fence of Paul McCartney's house and throws a rock at a window of his home. I saw this, also, in the "Linda McCartney Story." In that film, a bearded Lennon pulls up outside of Paul's home, hops the fence, yells out, "McCartney!!!" Then proceeds to pick up a rock and throws it at the front door window of McCartney's home. Since it has been portrayed in two films, now. Did this event really ever take place? And, if it did, was this at Macca's Cavendish Road home? Or is this writer's exaggeration?
ImageImage
I am the Paulrus
Silver member
Silver member

Return to JOHN