My My

Post your original songs lyrics & links to your mp3s.

Moderator: Mike

My My

Postby ahawk66 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi all,
Here's a song called "My My" from my new album "Another Roadside Attraction". Hope you like it. If you do, I shamelessly added links to cdbaby and to iTunes. Thanks for listening.

Podcast

"Another Roadside Attraction" on iTunes
DOWNLOAD
At CDbaby
DOWNLOAD
my website
DOWNLOAD
ahawk66

Re: My My

Postby derekjdavis » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:40 pm

Yeah! I dig this!!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby jjs » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:20 pm

ahawk66 wrote:Hi all,
Here's a song called "My My" from my new album "Another Roadside Attraction". Hope you like it. If you do, I shamelessly added links to cdbaby and to iTunes. Thanks for listening.

Podcast

"Another Roadside Attraction" on iTunes
DOWNLOAD
At CDbaby
DOWNLOAD
my website
DOWNLOAD

Do I detect a little John Mellencamp influence? Or maybe the influence of another performer who was influenced by John Mellencamp?

Very nice recording. Very Impressive. Is this self-produced? I love song and the instrument sounds. My only slight criticism is the vocals. Not that the vocals are bad or out of tune or anything... They're almost "there"... they just needs to come from a little bit deeper in the gut for this type of music, if you know what I mean.

Nice work, and good luck!
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby ahawk66 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 am

thanks guys. glad you like it. you're right on the vocals, jjs. this was a tough one for me to mix. First off, my voice (the one on the verses) is more like Dylan or someone like that, so straight pop is hard for me to carry off. A friend of mine sent me his vox for the middle parts, and it was recorded a little hot, so i had trouble getting it to sit in the mix, although I really like his voice. I must've re-done my vocals 10 times, and, really, they probably all sounded the same anyway (ha,ha).

As for the recording: I have a little studio setup in our house and I use Sonar software, which is great, but I still probably only know about 15 percent of what I could really do with it. It's fun learning, though. I actually had a guy who owns a studio come in and give me a mixing tutorial on my equipment. That really helped. I could always improve, but I'm finally starting to get a handle on the importance of things like compression and eq (and he showed me how to do that Lennon/Sun Studio delay on vocals, although it's not on this one), so this CD sounds much much better than any of my previous ones. Plus, I had the mastering done elsewhere. I wanted to see if it made a difference, and I think it did. I'll post a couple more songs from the new one in the coming days. This is the most pop-sounding one on there, so I figured I'd throw it out first. I've heard Petty/Mellencamp/Wilburys comparisons at times, and I'd take any one of those any day! Thanks for listening and for the feedback.
ahawk66

Postby Mark Rink » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:53 pm

:-BD nice job Hawk I hear a little Jonh Lennon 2 thumbs up buddie :-BD
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby ahawk66 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll post another one this week...
ahawk66

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 am

nice track, thanks.

i'm gonna agree with jjs, needs a bit more ... passion ?

reminded me a bit of wilco...or early steve earle, w/o so much twang
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby jgkojak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:42 am

Love it- that is a very nice song.

I disagree with JJS- I think your vocals are perfect- the slight detachment is just right- if you were singing too passionately it would lend the wrong feel-- its a 'cool' song- would not be 'cool' to go too over the top.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby brooker71 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:04 am

I like it, job well done! :ymapplause:
brooker71

Return to Original Songs