Up and Coming Tour: San Franciso - 07-11-2010

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: Just got back from San Francisco

Postby stuart7 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

Took my 24-year old daughter to see Paul at ATT Park. I expected it to be a so-so experience, what with the freezing SF weather and sound quality of an outdoor stadium. But the concert exceeded my expectations, as is the case every time I see Paul. We were far enough back to only be able to see the giant screens. The actual band looked the size of a poppy seed. Even though I knew Paul's set list and had heard many of the songs live many times before, the power of his performance was truly overwhelming. The sound was great, even drowning out the morons behind me who were talking through every song. Paul's voice was great and didn't appear to be coming from a 68 year old man. However, the camera angles were not always kind to him. A few shots of him behind his piano revealed an old man's face. Then, magically, he put on one of his many guitars, smiled and looked like Beatle Paul. The only criticism I have is that the show is actually too long by a few songs. We got there at 7:30 but he didn't start until 8:40 and wasn't done until 11:30. My suggestions is that he drop I've Got a Feeling or Helter Skelter from the Beatles list and Dance Tonight or Let Me Roll It from the solo section. Also, I don't know how he sings Here Today in front of 40,000 people without losing it. I can't imagine John or George ever doing a concert on this scale. As far as live acts, Paul sets the bar impossibly high. Stu
stuart7

Up and Coming Tour: San Franciso - 07-11-2010

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Post your reports and queries in this topic
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Re: Up and Coming Tour: San Franciso - 07-11-2010

Postby james1985 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 4:17 pm

And he dusted this one off....for the Unplugged fans....

May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram On 1965 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:41 pm

The show at AT & T Park in San Francisco was epic! I arrived right around 4 with a buddy and we could hear them belting out the soundcheck. Just off the top of my head, here is what I was able to hear:

Jam (Paul kept singing "San Francisco")
Honey Hush
Birthday
Only Mama Knows
Every Night
I'm In Love Again
Ram On
Celebration
And I Love Her
C Moon
It's So Easy

I never ventured too far from the stadium, so I'm not sure how much more he played before we arrived. Also, I read online that on Friday night he performed a soundcheck set with the following numbers:

Jam
Matchbox
Honey Don't
Flaming Pie
Do You Know the Way To San Jose (excerpt)
Birthday
Jam
Rock Show / Jet
Jam on piano ('San Francisco, Nabisco, crisco, Frisco’)
C Moon
(I Want To) Come Home
Jam
In the Summertime
I'll Follow the Sun
Every Night
It's So Easy
I've Just Seen a Face
Tequila
The Sun is Shining
Peggy Sue

The actual show started an hour late (8:30 PM) and ran approximately 5 minutes shy of 3 hours. The energy was high all night and as usual, it was another amazing McCartney concert! The band flubbed the intro to 'Sing The Changes'. Paul, in his charming way, addressed the crowd and said they could have done like a lot of other bands and played tapes, but this proved it was live. Many highlights from the whole night but if you've seen Paul before, you know where a lot of them are. It was cool to hear a few songs I had not seen him play live before ("Two of Us", "I've Just Seen a Face" and of course the 'Venus and Mars' and 'Band on The Run' songs performed on this tour for the first time). They performed "San Francisco Bay Blues" just for us!.

One thing I noticed was that the tour program was 25, as opposed to 30 from Macca's website. However the t-shirts were the same price on the site and at the concert (40 bucks). I took several photos and put them on my FB page.

Here is the correct set list:
1 Venus And Mars/Rock Show
2 Jet
3 All My Loving
4 Letting Go
5 Got To Get You Into My Life
6 Highway
7 Let Me Roll It / Foxy Lady
8 The Long and Winding Road
9 Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
10 Let ‘Em In
11 My Love
12 I'm Looking Through You
13 Two Of Us
14 Blackbird
15 Here Today
16 Dance Tonight
17 Mrs Vandebilt
18 San Francisco Bay Blues
19 Eleanor Rigby
20 Something
21 Sing the Changes
22 Band on the Run
23 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
24 Back in the U.S.S.R.
25 I’ve Got A Feeling
26 Paperback Writer
27 A Day In The Life / Give Peace A Chance
28 Let It Be
29 Live and Let Die
30 Hey Jude
Encore #1
31 Day Tripper
32 Lady Madonna
33 Get Back
Encore #2
34 Yesterday
35 Helter Skelter
36 Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)/The End

This was my 9th time seeing Sir Paul and everyone I knew that was there for the first time said the same thing: "best concert I've ever seen"! One of my favorite shows as well! PLEASE, if you are on the fence about going later on this summer, YOU SHOULD! I told several people "this is the equivalent of the President coming into town, it's a BIG DEAL!" ;-)
Ram On 1965

Postby james1985 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 pm

Ram On 1965 wrote:I'm In Love Again

Ooh, how was this one?
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram On 1965 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Fabulous! I seemed to be the ONLY one around that even recognized "I'm In Love Again" (or was the only one willing to sing along while walking by the other side of the wall where they were playing). Nice and loud and that piano jamming away was pretty cool!
Ram On 1965

Postby EddieV » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Ram On 1965 wrote:Fabulous! I seemed to be the ONLY one around that even recognized "I'm In Love Again" (or was the only one willing to sing along while walking by the other side of the wall where they were playing). Nice and loud and that piano jamming away was pretty cool!

And how was San Francisco Bay Blues??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ram On 1965 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:17 am

It was great.....In fact, earlier today I received a copy of the show on 3 discs! Audience recording, very good sound! Funny what a "few" beers will do to one's memory between songs! Nice to know NOW I didn't miss a thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvjj1o3N ... re=related
Ram On 1965

Postby derekjdavis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:35 am

Ram On 1965 wrote:It was great.....In fact, earlier today I received a copy of the show on 3 discs! Audience recording, very good sound! Funny what a "few" beers will do to one's memory between songs! Nice to know NOW I didn't miss a thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvjj1o3N ... re=related

Where did you get the discs?!
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby Ram On 1965 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:02 am

My brother's friend's friend recorded it from row 18! I didn't realize all the stories he told this time around. Some I had heard before but this time it seemed more entertaining (maybe because it's soooo new). He talked about Hendrix and playing Pepper live, some Russian political figure telling Paul he learned English from the Beatles - "Hello, Goodbye"!, stories about John, Georgie, how cold it was in San Francisco (he made a couple of mentions) and a lot more. Very cool stuff.
Ram On 1965

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours