Anyone following the Conan-Leno feud?

This forum is where you should post items that contain No Paul Content, or No Beatle Content. Keep it clean. Absolutely no politial discussions are allowed. Posts deemed objectional will be deleted without warning.

Moderator: Mike

Anyone following the Conan-Leno feud?

Postby jgkojak » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:48 pm

Leno gets utterly Pwned by Jimmy Kimmel:
"Listen, Jay, Conan and I have children—all you have to take care of is cars. I mean, we have lives to lead here. You've got $800 million, for God's sakes—leave our shows alone."

DOWNLOAD

Here is my take:

A few years ago, Craig Kilborne left the show that follows Letterman on CBS, and CBS behind the scenes went after Conan, prompting NBC (Never Believe Your Contract) to sign Conan to the deal where he gets the Tonight Show in 2009.

Come 2009, Jay decides he's not ready to retire so NBC decides to keep him happy and give him prime-time- that doesn't work out so well, so, weasels that they are, they ditch Conan. Oops! That didn't work so well either - Jay looks like an ass and loses his audience.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Anyone following the Conan-Leno feud?

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:47 pm

I heard Conan is talking with FOX.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Postby mr h atom » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:17 am

been following it...it's a crazy thing...

but i'll take issue with a couple of assumptions:
nbc did not dump conan...he chose to walk...
all while jay, the only proven ratings ($$) maker in this mess (whether one personally likes him or not, he's the man, money-wise), was being offered a measly 1/2 hour @ 1130...in the coveted after-the-local-news slot...but the mantle of 'tonight show' was still conans: his show would have appeared all of 1/2 hour later than it currently runs...big whoop when you consider any earlier program overrun (they never happen, right ?) would and did push 'the tonight show' back, anyway....

if there is anyone here who should have egg all over his face, it is conan. he decided to try and flex his muscle, only to find out he didn't have any. this despite the fact that jimmy fallon produces a better show than conan, as does craig ferguson...not to mention jimmy kimmel...heck, even craig kilborn was miles better than conan ( just my humble opinion, of course)...
again, the most important thing to remember is that conan has chosen to leave: none of this current b.s. is, as far as any public record released so far can suggest, nbc asking him to leave

nbc, while nowhere near perfect in any of this, at least should be given credit for trying something new: i believe they, the network, would have stuck with the current line-up as it appears even tonight, if not for the abject fear of the quivering spineless jellyfish that are their affiliates.

those affiliates are the real reason any of this crap is going on...as much as i may have always disliked conan in any of his variations...he's 100% percent better than the endless paid program crap that the affiliates would undoubtably filled the time with if they went through with their threat to dump both jay & conan

once it became clear that neither had the ratings both before the local news, and after needed serious doctoring...
and that nbc believed thier affiliates would indeed bolt and leave them...
there had to be a serious, money making decision to be made..
if the reports of the leno show being moved, and cut, followed all of one half hour later by the tonight show starring conan obrien were in fact true...
than the biggest loser, on every level, is conan...
once a dufus...always a dufus
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Postby Mike » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:02 am

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/01/20/appears-conans-final-tonight-friday/

Conan O'Brien told NBC good riddance Thursday in a $45 million deal for his exit from "The Tonight Show," allowing Jay Leno to return to the late-night program he hosted for 17 years.

Under the deal, which came seven months after O'Brien took the reins from Leno, O'Brien will get more than $33 million, NBC said. The rest will go to his 200-strong staff in severance.

Compensation for O'Brien's staff and crew was the final hurdle in negotiations. O'Brien was said to have been "dug in" on the issue out of concern for the workers, while NBC said this week that it had already agreed to pay "millions of dollars to compensate every one of them" and deemed it a public relations "ploy."

On Wednesday night's show, speaking of a push to get a severance deal for his staff, O'Brien joked, "At first they thought I was gullible. They said the staff would be taken to a big farm, where they'd be allowed to run free forever."

O'Brien's final show will be Friday, with Tom Hanks scheduled to appear as well as Will Ferrell -- his first guest as "Tonight" host last June.
related links

Leno will return to "Tonight" on March 1.

"In the end, Conan was appreciative of the steps NBC made to take care of his staff and crew, and decided to supplement the severance they were getting out of his own pocket," his manager, Gavin Polone, told The Wall Street Journal. "Now he just wants to get back on the air as quickly as possible."

O'Brien will be free to begin another TV job as soon as September, NBC said. There has been much speculation on where he might go next. ABC (which airs "Nightline" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live!") has said it wasn't interested, while Fox, which lacks a network late-night show, expressed appreciation for his show -- but nothing more. Comedy Central has also been mentioned.
A spokesman for O'Brien said he would be unavailable for comment.

O'Brien landed the "Tonight" show after successfully hosting "Late Night," which airs an hour later, since 1993. But he quickly stumbled in the ratings race against his CBS rival, David Letterman.

Under Leno, the "Tonight" show was the ratings champ at 11:35 p.m. Eastern, but he proved an instant flop with his experiment in prime time.

Last week NBC announced that the five-hour vacancy in prime time left by Leno will be filled by scripted and reality fare calculated to bring NBC affiliates a more robust lead-in audience for their local news than Leno had been delivering. A provisional slate of shows will include new and veteran NBC dramas, a comedy panel series produced by Jerry Seinfeld and "Dateline NBC."

It had been no secret that the 46-year-old O'Brien was scoring puny ratings numbers on "Tonight," averaging 2.5 million nightly viewers, compared with 4.2 million for Letterman's "Late Show," according to Nielsen figures.

It was even more obvious that "The Jay Leno Show," airing weeknights at 10 p.m. Eastern, was a disaster. Mostly justified by the network for its bargain-basement production budget, it not only was critically slammed, but also found a disappointing popular reaction. It has averaged 5.3 million nightly viewers since its fall debut -- about the same number that watched Leno's final "Tonight" season, in a time slot when far fewer viewers are available. By comparison, the season's top-rated 10 p.m. network drama, CBS' "The Mentalist," has an average audience of 17 million.

But few observers expected the abrupt upheaval that erupted publicly just two weeks ago, when two Web sites posted unsourced stories that the 59-year-old Leno's show would soon be canceled or moved into O'Brien's late-night domain.

Days later, NBC executives unveiled a plan to restore Leno to 11:35 p.m. with a half-hour program, then slide O'Brien's "Tonight Show" to 12:05 a.m., followed by "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon," also pushed back a half-hour.

Disgruntled affiliate stations, which have lost viewers and advertising revenue for their late local newscasts since "The Jay Leno Show" premiered, appeared to spur NBC's sudden changes. The 210 local NBC stations saw their late news audience drop, on average, by 25 percent in November compared with the previous year among desirable 25- to 54-year-old viewers, with the Leno experiment costing the stations collectively $22 million over a three-month period, according to the research firm Harmelin Media.

In a clear vote of no confidence, some rebellious stations were threatening to drop "The Jay Leno Show" and air their own programming.

The network had been counting on O'Brien's cooperation, and wanted an answer quickly, so it could have the configured lineup ready to launch after the Winter Olympics, which will dominate NBC's schedule from Feb. 12-28. But O'Brien threw a wrench into NBC's plans, and triggered a public relations firestorm for the network, when he issued a statement rejecting the offer to delay his show to make room for Leno's return.

O'Brien said that shifting "Tonight" would "seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting," and he declared his disappointment that NBC had given him less than a year to establish himself as host at 11:35 p.m.

The escalating mess furnished plenty of material for jokes by competitors of Leno and O'Brien, as well as the two NBC hosts at its center, who bashed each other and their network.

As recently as Wednesday's monologue, Leno said the rainy weather in California "couldn't have come at a worse possible time. Today was the day NBC was supposed to burn down the studio for the insurance money."

Online, many have leaped to O'Brien's defense in recent days and applauded his stand against NBC. "Team Conan" became a popular Twitter topic for viewers who pledged their allegiance to O'Brien.

An O'Brien portrait also circulated as a badge of support. Referring to the "Tonight" show host's playful nickname, it read, "I'm With Coco," and featured a black-and-white picture of a regal-looking O'Brien standing in front of an American flag. The only color: his shock of orange hair.
For many observers, this clash of talk-show hosts recalled the late-night follies played out by NBC in the early 1990s as the network wavered confoundingly over who -- Letterman or Leno -- should inherit "The Tonight Show" from Johnny Carson.

The current revival of the late-night follies was set in motion nearly six years ago, in what was hatched by NBC executives as a farsighted strategy to ensure an orderly transition.

In the fall of 2004, the network announced that O'Brien would take over for Leno in 2009. That move by NBC -- and endorsed by Leno, despite his clear aversion to leaving "Tonight" -- was designed to keep O'Brien from jumping ship when his contract expired. "Tonight" was the prize O'Brien felt he had earned. He joked that he was looking forward to being on an hour earlier, "at a time when people can see me."

As years passed and Leno strengthened his grip as the late-night ratings champ, NBC anguished over how to keep him usefully occupied on the network somewhere other than "Tonight," and safely out of reach of rival networks who were courting him.

In late 2008, the network caught the public and the industry by surprise with its virtually unprecedented scheme: a new Leno hour "stripped" in prime time from Monday through Friday.
"A lot of people were shocked," Leno joked to reporters when the plan was announced. "They didn't know NBC still had a prime time."
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:08 am

Conan was pretty great up till 2004, then creativity was seriously waneing.
A lot of his poorest shows have been in the last few years, including most of the Tonight Show.
Conan needs to get back to purely writing comedy again. And maybe on the side, have a once-a-week talkshow.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:33 am

y'know...i'm gonna kinda agree with that.

my belief, and this is just my humble opinion, has always been that conan, who came from the harvard/nat'l lampoon style, fell into the same trap many of the h./n. lampoon types have done; come up with one or two good ideas...can't think of something new...so keep bashing what worked the first time into the ground (and, often, that seems to be some excreble juvenalia) until no one with a mind can actually stand to watch it....(see almost any of the movies that fly the h./n.l. label anymore)
mr h atom

Postby Lazarus_2 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:04 am

mr h atom wrote:y'know...i'm gonna kinda agree with that.

my belief, and this is just my humble opinion, has always been that conan, who came from the harvard/nat'l lampoon style, fell into the same trap many of the h./n. lampoon types have done; come up with one or two good ideas...can't think of something new...so keep bashing what worked the first time into the ground (and, often, that seems to be some excreble juvenalia) until no one with a mind can actually stand to watch it....(see almost any of the movies that fly the h./n.l. label anymore)

I don't think Conan's anytihng like Ntl lampoon,
those movies all suck.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mr h atom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:55 pm

i meant that school of thought as per comedy...and, you're (mostly) quite right.

there are always exceptions...'animal house', 'vacation' & 'christmas vacation' are the only ones that come to mind...

and the thread linking all is tenuous...but, that is what i was getting at.
mr h atom

Return to General Discussions - NPC - NBC