5 best albums in your collection (non Macca/Beatles)

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

Re: 5 best albums in your collection (non Macca/Beatles)

Postby jjs » Sun May 23, 2010 1:49 pm

I cant put them in order. Each one of these has been my favorite at one time or another.

The Eagles Greatest Hits
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
Elton John: Tumbleweed Connection and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
John Mellencamp: Scarecrow
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here, Animals
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Sun May 23, 2010 4:35 pm

getting ready to see roger waters in october so i been listening to the wall. great album!!! but everything by floyd is pretty great. i figure at my age this will probably be my final concert and am expecting great things. i have seen him many times and man is he good!!! ^:)^
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sun May 23, 2010 4:46 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote: i figure at my age this will probably be my final concert and am expecting great things.

mark...you aren't...(gasp)...terminally ill, are you?

cut it out, brother. there are plenty of unannounced yet concerts out there to look forward to.

and i have not forgotten. i want a detailed review of that waters concert. if i had to say...i'd put the wall at the very creative, and artistic peak of the floyd's long and most lucrative career. i am, still, most envious.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 pm

well chris i am 55 and confined to a nursing home plus i have seen 1000 concerts so maybe its time to retire. plus all the bands i have loved are close to hanging it up. i will give you a full report on the show. i saw floyd minus waters several times and it sure wasnt the same and seriously man thanks for your concern. i just messed up and had a stroke at 49. saw paulie many times and got to meet him and linda once in 1990 so whats really left?
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Sun May 23, 2010 7:38 pm

i know about the all the best bands are retiring thingee. and i saw the floyd without waters several times, and i felt jipped, somehow. after all, i see waters actually being the brain of pink floyd. sort of like seeing the stones without mick...or U2 without bono. if you haven't tried it, listen to roger's pros and cons of hitchhiking. it is quite floyd-ish (with eric clapton playing the david gilmore role, and sounding quite floydish himself...which leads me to believe that roger knew how to replicate the music that he heard in his head, much like that paul fellow people seem to go on and on about at this site for some reason :wink: ).

and i certrainly did not mean to make light of the...health situation.

and you would be surprised...there's plenty left. i can't wait for what's left. it is what i...we...have to look forward to. little buckaroo.

always something left. :-BD
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 pm

yeah floyd without waters was impressive visually but that was all. please go see him on this final tour chris. i promise you wont regret it. i saw floyd in 76 at soldier field in chicago when people were LITERALLY losing their minds and being hauled away by paramedics and i myself was begging god for mercy. well this is a paul site so i better shut up now.
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby mr h atom » Tue May 25, 2010 6:15 am

today...in no particular order

bob mould - workbook

ry cooder - get rhythm

warren zevon - the wind

peter gabriel - plays live

the chieftains - the long black veil

that is today...clawing at the backside, scratching to get in: the cure, jeff waynes 'war of the worlds', neil young, roger waters, coldplay, pearl jam, r.e.m., cracker, nirvana, sting, u2, the flaming lips, miles davis, e.l.o., the clash, randy newman, van morison, jeff beck, billy joel, the eagles, steve earle, the fixx, lyndsey buckingham, pink floyd, clapton, the police...many more, all of whom get regular play

and, i'm not even touching on classical ...or the blues
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Postby jjs » Tue May 25, 2010 9:27 pm

chris wrote:i know about the all the best bands are retiring thingee. and i saw the floyd without waters several times, and i felt jipped, somehow. after all, i see waters actually being the brain of pink floyd. sort of like seeing the stones without mick...or U2 without bono. if you haven't tried it, listen to roger's pros and cons of hitchhiking. it is quite floyd-ish (with eric clapton playing the david gilmore role, and sounding quite floydish himself...which leads me to believe that roger knew how to replicate the music that he heard in his head, much like that paul fellow people seem to go on and on about at this site for some reason :wink: ).

and i certrainly did not mean to make light of the...health situation.

and you would be surprised...there's plenty left. i can't wait for what's left. it is what i...we...have to look forward to. little buckaroo.

always something left. :-BD

Interesting.

Water's is an amazing lyricist. He knows how to construct and finish (that is "pull together") a strong, complete song. But left entirely to himself he tends to be musically dull (well dull isn't really the right word, but his music just lacks something), often repeating the same musical themes over and over and over. Gilmour can't write lyrics, but he is an amazing musician and can come up with many good song ideas but it's no secret that he can have trouble "pulling them together" to create strong, complete songs.

Roger is closer to Lennon, in that he's a strong lyricist and strong songwriter, David is closer to Paul in that he's a far better musician, but can't write lyrics, or build strong, complete songs with strong musical themes. Roger is a better songwriter, but not as musically diverse and creative as Dave, yet Dave's solo albums and the later Floyd albums sold better.

Yet you see it exactly the opposite.

FWIW, I hear 1/2 of Pink Floyd in each of their solo albums, and to me they both sound like something's missing. I love the Wall, but for my money, Wish You Were Here and Animals are my Floyd albums of choice. I think The Wall is just a bit too wordy.
JJS

jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby jjs » Tue May 25, 2010 9:31 pm

mr h atom wrote:today...in no particular order

bob mould - workbook

ry cooder - get rhythm

warren zevon - the wind

peter gabriel - plays live

the chieftains - the long black veil

that is today...clawing at the backside, scratching to get in: the cure, jeff waynes 'war of the worlds', neil young, roger waters, coldplay, pearl jam, r.e.m., cracker, nirvana, sting, u2, the flaming lips, miles davis, e.l.o., the clash, randy newman, van morison, jeff beck, billy joel, the eagles, steve earle, the fixx, lyndsey buckingham, pink floyd, clapton, the police...many more, all of whom get regular play

and, i'm not even touching on classical ...or the blues

Hmmm.. Lindsey. Somehow, always "working on a solo album" yet they only come every 35 years. I enjoyed "Out of the Cradle." I wish he'd do an acoustic album.
JJS

jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Tue May 25, 2010 10:45 pm

jjs wrote:Water's is an amazing lyricist. He knows how to construct and finish (that is "pull together") a strong, complete song. But left entirely to himself he tends to be musically dull (well dull isn't really the right word, but his music just lacks something), often repeating the same musical themes over and over and over. Gilmour can't write lyrics, but he is an amazing musician and can come up with many good song ideas but it's no secret that he can have trouble "pulling them together" to create strong, complete songs.

Roger is closer to Lennon, in that he's a strong lyricist and strong songwriter, David is closer to Paul in that he's a far better musician, but can't write lyrics, or build strong, complete songs with strong musical themes. Roger is a better songwriter, but not as musically diverse and creative as Dave, yet Dave's solo albums and the later Floyd albums sold better.

i didn't think either roger's or dave's solo albums sold particularly well. and neither gets, or has ever gotten, any real radio airplay. even back in the day. and as far as the floyd's album sales are concerned (post roger?) i think the legend of the band sold albums instead of the music. i'm not sure i can name even one floyd song, sans roger, that i even like.

but you are right, roger's albums have a...theme. a recurring dramatic musical presence that holds the album together. much like the wall. and it is wordy, (the wall, that is) isn't it? but the older i get, it seems to be the one floyd album i go to for repeated listens more often than the others. it seemed that roger made albums whereas david made songs. and while i admire both of them (roger and dave) i tend to look back and say roger was the more important. what i base that on i'm not exactly sure. must be based on what they did within the context of the band. not solo. because i really only enjoy one waters solo album (pros and cons) while i tolerate the others. and gilmore...really has one solo highlight: there's no way out of here. not even an album but a song.

the best i can say about david gilmore's songwriting is...i love his guitar playing.
Last edited by chris on Tue May 25, 2010 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Music - Other Artists