I don't get Paul's setlist choices

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Re: I don't get Paul's setlist choices

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:20 pm

She's Leaving Home ;)

The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby derekjdavis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:51 pm

chris wrote:
From A Lover To A Friend wrote:Which is a step in the right direction...

well...good thing he's not screwing it up for you anymore.

i suggest you don't attend his concerts if you don't care for his choices.

or...don't buy the live release (should it actually be released)...that'll teach him.

i agree. I used to care about the setlist but i saw him live and heck I could watch him sing Drive my Car a thousand times and I wouldn't care!! I'm glad he does all the songs he does.
Getting Better All The Time
derekjdavis

Postby cedusummitkey » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:22 am

Oh, it makes perfect since, really. Why would he need to change massive set lists? He doesn’t have to. Why at his age would he what to bother with it? He doesn’t need to impress his fans with back to back shows with different set lists. He realized the majority of us are happy with what he has to offer- even if they are repeats. He’s doing us a favor by touring. In addition (and more importantly), He’s obviously crafting his concerts with artistic precision and memorable class (bringing out the guitar he played on a Beatle track while singing it to us at the Hollywood Bowl). He’s directing his art the way he wants us to see/hear it. McCartney is at a different level with his touring then the bands (and solo acts) mentioned before. We all know that. Does the director change the story when directing the same play the next night? Hell no... Put the thing into perspective and it makes complete since.

Somebody said,

“As far as getting his choices...i get his intent...i'm just not as enamored with all the pandering to the 'not-so-much-mccartney-fan' ...let's face it; alot of these folks are of the 'gimme the hits i know/love or shut up' variety; the 'sing the changes ?...bathroom break ! types...… and a real fan would be happy with anything he chose to sing...just as they would with any other artist they like and a real fan would be happy with anything he chose to sing...just as they would with any other artist they like....”

Oh, BS.

Am I a 9/10 McCartney fan because I don’t want to hear ‘Press to Play’ in its entirety over 10 Beatle/Wings songs? Am I a quarter of a fan because I would rather hear ‘Live and Let Die’ over ‘My Carnival’? I believe that music is self evidently good or bad. And like all artists, some music is good and some is bad. I’m a bit suspicious of fan’s who adore everything the artist has to offer (and swoon over their apparent allegiance). By your own silly standards you CAN’T judge one McCartney album over another. Aren’t you a ‘lesser’ McCartney fan for liking, ‘Memory’ over ‘Off the ground?’... Yea, I bought a beer during, ‘Highway.’ The only thing I regret is missing the beginning of, ‘The Long and Winding Road.’ I guess I am not a TRUE fan... I’m such a silly disappointment.

I don’t see McCartney EVER replaying ‘Hey Jude’ for ‘Monkberry Moonshine’ (or whatever that song is). It will never happen. The moment MP fans accept that- the better, I guess. McCartney has enough gull (and there is some pride I am sure) to want to sell out his concerts. He’s not going to do it with Post Beatles music only… It’ll never happen. He knows it. And while a lot of us have emotional connections to great albums like ‘Flowers in the Dirt’, ‘Flaming Pie’ and ‘Chaos and Creation,’ he’s going to hit the Beatles crowd (me) first AND last... Awesome! Play ‘Helter Skelter’ all night, brother. At 37, I’ll rock my little heart out with the rest of them…
cedusummitkey

Postby mr h atom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:52 am

more than a bit overkill, there ceduswhateveryournameis

I made the statement you decided to tear into...um...welcome to the board...

so...tell me, sucka...just where do i state that i adore everything...swoon over everything...AND that everybody else better do the same...?

i thought not.

i don't think you have much to worry about when it comes to him switching even more of his set than he already does..he hasn't changed the practise, i don't foresee him doing so...he'll continue to pander to the people who only like the hits...but, that shouldn't mean 'fans', who don't limit themselves to just the hits...who actually like his solo career beyond the hits, who realize there are many beatle songs he's never done live...or, at least not in..years, decades even...who enjoy all the music couldn't wish for an 'oh darling', 'rocky racoon', 'smile away', 'jrs farm', 'helen wheels', 'old siam sir', (even 'monkbery MOON DELIGHT': which, b.t.w., he did run as a pre-show song on one tour; he must not hate the song that much !) etc-etc-etc

yes...and i know this galls the casual fans (and some hardcore)...but real fans go to see an artist at work, not just the hits: ask bruce springsteen...they would be happy, as some often say, if he read (sang, in this case) a phone book...i'd rather have some surprise to each concert tour, than the predictable...sorry you don't feel that way...it's a free country, after all..but, if you are so much a fan that you'd skip a concert just because he actually supported whatever his new album was, and skipped over most if not all the chestnuts for other songs from his extensive playbook, then that would easily leave some tickets for me and my friends if he ever does it
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:20 am

the last time i saw him was 05 and we were very happy with the new stuff he played like ill get you and please please me and helter skelter and of course i would love to hear much more never before played stuff but whatever he plays i always leave very happy. and even though its been said many times by me and others it wont last forever and when its over man it will hurt. thank god for my dvds.
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby cedusummitkey » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Your response is justified, ‘Atom.’ I just reread what I wrote- and though I believe my three points have some relevance- my personal swipe at you (saying… “and swoon over their apparent allegiance. By your own silly standards…) was a bit unnecessary. I mean my points are lost the moment it gets personal. If I’m wanting thoughtful dialogue I know better than that. I haven’t been on in a while (several years) and don’t want to pop in from time to time with personal jabs... Not my thing.

In addition, I would drop a grand to hear ‘Rocky Raccoon’ and KILL to hear ‘Martha my Dear’… Maybe one day.
cedusummitkey

Postby mr h atom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

no worries, cedus...we all, especially i, have our senior moments :wink:

b.t.w.; welcome...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom

Previous

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours