is there a better sounding option for all things must pass

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

is there a better sounding option for all things must pass

Postby mommasturn » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi everyone I have been away quite a while. after hearing the mono set and truly hearing the bass and various instruments separtely, I am very bummed that All things must Pass sounds so...muted? bland, I know it had to sound much better than that. I am new to realizing which songs belong to george vs john. (I know i am a bit slow differentiating) I have awesome headphones now and keep giving the cd a try, but I want to hear it in all of its glory.
Anyone know if there are any remastering plans for George's work?
mommasturn

Re: is there a better sounding option for all things must pass

Postby RickStark79 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Are you talking about the original CDs or the remastered discs from 2000??
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jeff in Ohio » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

Not sure this is a "better" recording than what you have, but it's interesting because it's an outtake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItQj6blP ... re=related

And this might interest you also....George looking back in 2000, reflecting on the album. Interesting and a bit sad because he's looking so thin (fighting cancer).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_jFtNMH5UY

Enjoy
I'm painting a room in a colorful way, and when my mind is wandering, there I will go.
Jeff in Ohio

Postby 2 of 3 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:20 pm

All Things Must Pass has long been one of the more vexing classic albums to make it to CD. It appeared previously in two distinctly different (yet confusingly similar) packagings in the late '80s, one from England and one from America, both of which were straight reissues of the original triple LP. Neither was a wholly satisfactory release, owing to the same problems that existed on Layla by Derek & the Dominos both albums (which have related histories) were recorded using lots of tracks (and no noise reduction technology) to achieve a very big sound, which was impressive on vinyl but had a lot of noise when processed digitally for CD. This expanded and remastered edition, released in January of 2001, solved most of those problems as well as offering five additional tracks. The remastering, done sometime in 2000, has imparted greater resolution to the music without losing the wall-of-sound effect that most of the album was intended to display. In the process, it's possible to discern the various guitars at work far better than on the original LP set, and to better appreciate the virtuosity of the playing involved as well as the sheer size of the ensemble Harrison assembled. Additionally, and almost more important in terms of enjoying the album as a whole, the new edition captures the warmth and nuances of Harrison's singing on songs like "Let It Down," "Run of the Mill," and "Isn't It a Pity (Version Two)." This improvement isn't reflected everywhere on "The Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp," for example, his voice is still buried fairly deep in the mix and not as up front as it is elsewhere, but that's how it was mastered originally, and even Harrison admits, in the notes introducing the accompanying booklet, that he had to resist the urge to remix the album. Of the five bonus tracks, one is an entirely new song from the original sessions, and three more are outtakes of existing songs in versions that have appeared on various bootlegs, while "My Sweet Lord (2000)" is a stripped-down reconsideration of the song.
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby mommasturn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 am

thanks everyone, i will look into the remastered one, the cd I have is from 1970. (it is older than me :shock: )
mommasturn

Postby ahawk66 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:15 am

I've always found that album to be too wall-of-sound. I know that was the intention - and the trendy thing to do at the time - but that muddy sound loses the record for me. A few of his Beatles songs were like that, notably "Long Long Long", which I think is a beautiful tune, but his vocals are so buried (obviously intentionally, though) that it makes the song more obscure than it deserves to be. My preference is for cleaner-sounding stuff (most of the time), so it's just my opinion. You'd find just as many people who love that sound.
ahawk66

Postby RickStark79 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm

mommasturn wrote:thanks everyone, i will look into the remastered one, the cd I have is from 1970. (it is older than me :shock: )

CDs weren't released until the 80s. 1970 was the original release date of the album, not the CD. But yes, the version you have is probably that first release that came out in the late 80s
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:55 pm

funny how unknowing i can be about things. i had the original cd release, from 89 maybe. and while i was aware that the sound should have been better...i figured thats just how it went. but...my interest was piqued with this very thread. so i looked into it. and holy crapola...the remix sounds better than i EVER remember it before.

and for those who care...the house band, for the most part...was a not yet formed derek and the dominoes. you can really tell that when listening to the updated version. layers and layers of guitars...and you hear every one of them.

that whole all things must pass album is a pretty swell collection of tunes. to quote john...i thought that was rather grand.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jjs » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:38 pm

chris wrote:funny how unknowing i can be about things. i had the original cd release, from 89 maybe. and while i was aware that the sound should have been better...i figured thats just how it went. but...my interest was piqued with this very thread. so i looked into it. and holy crapola...the remix sounds better than i EVER remember it before.

and for those who care...the house band, for the most part...was a not yet formed derek and the dominoes. you can really tell that when listening to the updated version. layers and layers of guitars...and you hear every one of them.

that whole all things must pass album is a pretty swell collection of tunes. to quote john...i thought that was rather grand.

Yeah the recent remaster was so much better. They used modern hiss reduction on the recent remaster that doesn't remove so much of the highs. The original remaster version was so lifeless and dull by comparison.

One thing I'd like to see redone is WOA... I've always thought that this CD lacked crisp highs. You can barely hear the snares on the snare drum or the high-hats and cymbals on some songs.
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby chris » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:54 pm

i've heard on this very forum posters mention that WOA needs to be redone. it must have been years since i've listened to that one. my memory tells me it sounded crisp and neat. but then again, i was probably really used to the old hissy vhs copy...which i thought at the time sounded great.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Return to GEORGE