I don't get Paul's setlist choices

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

I don't get Paul's setlist choices

Postby From A Lover To A Friend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:14 am

I just don't understand him... he comes up with quite a few new songs every tour, but still he won't mix up anything. All the shows are exactly the same. He's with the same band for ages, they all know the songs, he definitely could have played a different set every night with cool surprises and stuff, or at least change the songs every now and then like many artists do, but he won't...

Here is a list of all the songs Paul performed in 2009/10:

(I Want To) Come Home
A Day in The Life/Give Peace A Chance
All My Loving
And I Love Her
Back In The USSR
Band On The Run
Birthday
Blackbird
Calico Skies
Can't Buy Me Love
Coming Up
Dance Tonight
Day Tripper
Drive My Car
Eleanor Rigby
Every Night
Flaming Pie
Get Back
Got To Get You Into My Life
Helter Skelter
Here Today
Hey Jude
Highway
Honey Hush
I Saw Her Standing There
I Want To Come Home
I'm Down
I'm Looking Through You
I've Got A Feeling
Jet
Lady Madonna
Let It Be
Let Me Roll It/Foxy Lady
Letting go
Live And Let Die
Magical Mystery Tour
Mrs. Vanderbilt
Mull of Kintyre
My Love
Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
Only Mama Knows
Paperback Writer
Sgt Pepper/The End
Sing The Changes
Something
The Long And Winding Road
Two Of Us
Venus And Mars/Rock Show
Yesterday

That's 50 songs! He can do a great, diverse tour with these songs only... play different stuff every night, and that's only with tunes from the last year and 4 months. If you count in 2008, you add:

C Moon
Fine Line
Good Day Sunshine
Hello Goodbye
Here, There and Everywhere
I'll Follow The Sun
Let 'Em In
Michelle
Penny Lane
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Too Many People

With an overall of 61 songs he could do a great tour... and of course, that's not counting stuff from older tours, or solo songs that he could pull of without rehearsing with the band...

Everyone else seems to do it, but Paul just sticks to the same set every night... why?
From A Lover To A Friend

Re: I don't get Paul's setlist choices

Postby corchians » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:30 am

My dream is one-off special concert of Paul with a special setlist with only obscure and not famous songs like "Monkberry moon delight" or "Take it away" and with some beatles gems never played live like "Lovely Rita" or "Rocky Raccoon".
Just for one night he could be drop "hey Jude" -"Let it be" - "Band on the Run" etc etc
corchians

Postby From A Lover To A Friend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:46 am

corchians wrote:My dream is one-off special concert of Paul with a special setlist with only obscure and not famous songs like "Monkberry moon delight" or "Take it away" and with some beatles gems never played live like "Lovely Rita" or "Rocky Raccoon".
Just for one night he could be drop "hey Jude" -"Let it be" - "Band on the Run" etc etc

This isn't practical because it requires loads of rehearsals on these tunes, for just one night... just doesn't make sense.

What I'm suggesting makes sense because the band already knows all these songs, so no need to rehearse too much. Paul just got to decide he's mixing up the setlists more and that's it...
From A Lover To A Friend

Postby mr h atom » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:01 am

call me silly...but what you're suggesting isn't that far removed from what he's doing...especially now that he's in this sort of mini-tour mode.

it doesn't take eons of rehersal to get any number of songs down... a one-off concert with nothing repetative could just as easily be rehearsed as the soundcheck all tour long, and then end with the full, one-off concert...maybe for charity.... better yet, just one of these mini-tours without any repeats would cover the idea nicely, too...
lift up your head...and remember what your life is !
mr h atom
Gold member :)

Postby From A Lover To A Friend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:21 am

mr h atom wrote:call me silly...but what you're suggesting isn't that far removed from what he's doing...especially now that he's in this sort of mini-tour mode.

it doesn't take eons of rehersal to get any number of songs down... a one-off concert with nothing repetative could just as easily be rehearsed as the soundcheck all tour long, and then end with the full, one-off concert...maybe for charity.... better yet, just one of these mini-tours without any repeats would cover the idea nicely, too...

It's not the same because once you've seen the first setlist of the tour, you've seen them all, while many bands play something entirely different every night...
From A Lover To A Friend

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:59 am

We've had this conversation several times every tour right? There is one reason of many why Paul is still touring. This main reason being he has tried and true set ways of doing things, fixed routines that prolongs his longevity of a grueling tour. As short or as long a tour is, it is still torturous on one's being. Paul is not being dictated by money hungry management, he controls the shots period. He has his methods and tour traditions that work for decades for him. Simple as that.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby From A Lover To A Friend » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:06 am

Ironically, it seems that Paul just did what I suggested... kind of. At the second night at the Hollywood bowl, he changed 4 songs from the set:

Got To Get You Into My Life --> Drive My Car
I Want To Come Home --> Let 'Em In
I'm Looking Through You --> I've Just Seen A Face
Two Of Us --> And I Love Her

Which is a step in the right direction... may he keep the rotation going.
From A Lover To A Friend

Postby Ram On 1965 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 am

Forgive me for not reading ALL the posts regarding this one but in case anyone hasn't mentioned this, the reason most of the set list stays in the same order or 90+ percent of the show is the same is due more to technical issues (lighting, video, etc) than anything else. It's mostly all computers these days so certain things are programmed to coincide with certain songs.

There are some opportunities for different songs, typically during the acoustic set. Paul has already made some changes on the first 3 days of the tour. The second show of the tour dropped one song and moved the location of one song that was played 2/3 into the show on opening night to about the 5th song in on the second night of the tour. Also on the 3rd night of the tour (the second Hollywood Bowl show), he added 4 songs and dropped 4 others.

The reason many bands change the set list up (i.e. Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc) is because they don't rely on video or light shows for their shows as much as Paul or bands like Rush (for example). The guy is a living legend (and a BEATLE!). You seriously are going to complain?

You should be so grateful he's still out there and playing a nearly 3 hour and close to 40 songs a night. As much as I love the Stones, they barely crack 19 to 20 songs a show now (in 1981 they were playing 28). By comparison, Paul was cranking out 30 songs during the Wings Over America tour and now some 34 years later, he's added more than taken out (7 or 8 songs a night!). Makes you really wonder just how much of a SUPERSTAR Macca really is, doesn't it?
Ram On 1965

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:49 am

Ram On 1965 wrote:Forgive me for not reading ALL the posts regarding this one but in case anyone hasn't mentioned this, the reason most of the set list stays in the same order or 90+ percent of the show is the same is due more to technical issues (lighting, video, etc) than anything else. It's mostly all computers these days so certain things are programmed to coincide with certain songs.

I see your point. I personally witnessed how even in the middle of tour Paul will give new directions to the light/video crew. However this is definitely not the reason. I am familiar with the computer software used to programme a song and though all the lights/video/pyro etc is quite a setup, once it's setup it's done. The rest is software and manual override from time to time. They can programme a new song on the fly, it's software man. The stuff I saw lets you see the stage landscape and lighting sequence simulated. Just as a musician knows what to play, these technicians are pros in their own environment, believe me. May I suggest it's just as I have done before, that Paul has his methods. He wants and demands a tight performance, he has and never will change songs every night.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike

Postby jgkojak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 pm

I've said before I wish Paul would do what Dylan does-- alternate set-lists every night -- and using the encores to throw in the "musts"-

Osaka, Japan
Zepp Osaka

March 11, 2010

1. Watching The River Flow (Bob on keyboard)
2. Girl Of The North Country
(Bob on guitar, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
3. Things Have Changed (Bob on guitar)
4. To Ramona (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Stu on acoustic guitar)
5. High Water (For Charley Patton)
(Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on banjo)
6. Spirit On The Water (Bob on keyboard)
7. The Levee's Gonna Break (Bob on keyboard)
8. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met)
(Bob center stage on harp)
9. Cold Irons Bound (Bob on keyboard and harp)
10. A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall (Bob on keyboard)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard)
12. Can't Wait (Bob center stage on harp then keyboard at the end) (slightly new arrangement)
13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on keyboard)
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on center stage on harp)

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard)
16. Jolene (Bob on keyboard and harp)
17. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard)

Osaka, Japan
Zepp Osaka

March 12, 2010

1. Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel)
2. Lay, Lady, Lay
(Bob center stage on harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
3. Beyond Here Lies Nothin' (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on trumpet)
4. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right
(Bob on guitar, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar, Tony on standup bass)
5. The Levee's Gonna Break
(Bob on keyboard, Donnie on electric mandolin, Tony on standup bass)
6. Just Like A Woman
(Bob on keyboard and harp, Donnie on pedal steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
7. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum
(Bob on keyboard then center stage on harp, Donnie on pedal steel)
8. Make You Feel My Love (Bob on keyboard and harp)
9. Honest With Me (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
10. Po' Boy (Bob on keyboard and harp)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
12. I Feel A Change Comin' On (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
13. Thunder On The Mountain
(Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Stu on acoustic guitar)
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob on center stage on harp, Donnie on lap steel)

(encore)
15. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on pedal steel)
16. Jolene (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel, Tony on standup bass)
17. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on keyboard, Donnie on lap steel)
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours