Y Not how is it?

Discussions related to Ringo Starr as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Y Not how is it?

Postby EddieV » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:04 am

Just curious to know. Anyone bought it yet??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Y Not how is it?

Postby linclink » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:06 pm

Check it out for yourself!!
This youtube page will bring you to 8 of the 10 songs on the album:
http://www.youtube.com/user/piggies1#p/u
Here's another one you'll need:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auwyF-97cnw
and the last one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44FE0w0DreQ

Although I may have softened a little bit on it, I can also say not much. I love the single, but little else & here is my initial reaction below...
Honestly there are really only about two tracks that I honestly say I care about much at all. That's a long way from having pretty much really loved every album from "Time Takes Time" through "Liverpool 8" (with the possible exception of the odd duck, "I Wanna Be Santa Claus"- which I have to say I much prefer over this album). Focusing on the positive, the two great songs, are great, and trying to look on the bright side there are three more that do have something to offer. So that's half an album of something. After that of the remaining five, well two a little better than the bottom three which just hold nothing for me. So the half that isn't great, at least isn't really terrible or anything, just not good at all.

Level I:
"Walk With You": Great single, great song, & probably the best track on the album...
"Everybody Wins": Even though it's a retread, it's a fine one & a real highlight here, but what was a b-side (albeit a terrific lost one) becomes as high a water mark as there is on your new album= not a great sign.
Level II:
After that it's tracks that I do like, but none that I can say I love.
"Mystery Of The Night"- Not a great one, but a maybe a good one, & it stands out more here than it ever would have on any of his albums from the last few years.
"Can't Do It Wrong": Again not great, but sounds better here than most.
"Y Not"- A fairly pedestrian rocker gets a kick in the pants from some deeply eastern arrangement which really works, but it does so in service of a so-so, at best, song.
OK now things drop off pretty seriously (and the drop off from level two isn't exactly sky high to begin with)
Level III:
"Peace Dream"- Hearts in the right place, and I appreciate the sentiment & effort & I'm betting I appreciate it more than most, but...it's certainly not great, but...it certainly is at least a little better than what's the rest of what is here. It never would have even made the cut on any of his earlier Hudson era albums.
"Time"- Again it's not what I'd call a good track either, & while it's not terrible, once again it never would have made the cut in the Hudson era,
What's left is just generic rock stuff...
Level IV:
"Fill In The Blanks", "Who's Your Daddy?"- just under par rockers.
Level V:
"The Other Side Of Liverpool"- Probably the worst track on the album (though any of these last three just do nothing at all for me). Just like a bad generic rock run through of the same ideas/story as "Liverpool 8" except that was a really great song, & this isn't.
linclink is online now Report Post Reply With Quote
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby caswellcookejr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 pm

It is a solid effort. nothing great. Not as great as some other albums, but better than most of them. A few good tracks. I would give it a B or B plus.
caswellcookejr

Postby RickStark79 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:41 pm

There was just an advertisement on the radio. Talked about new movies and Cds that were out, and it said to pick up Ringo's new album Y Not? -- His 4th studio album!! :lol:
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mark Rink » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:02 pm

not really sure yet, heard most of the songs on you tube before it came out. ONly listened to it complete round just once. So far it has to grow on me. Still listening to Liverpool 8 so maybe I can compare the two and let you guys know then
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby mclarke825 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:30 pm

While some of his other recent albums took a few listenings before I really got into them, this one I like nearly every song right away. I think it captures his heart and style better than some others, too.
"I dream of a better tomorrow where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned." --Unknown
mclarke825

Postby flextint » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:38 pm

Just listened to the cd and i have to say it is good.I give it 3 stars out of 5.The starr/mccartney song is the highlight but all in all some good tunes.Good music to go with ringo's voice which is well ,ringo sounding like he allways does.D'ont think any of these songs would make it on a beatle album but a nice solid effort from ringo just the same.It will hold me until the next macca album which i hope will be soon!
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:17 am

Only a few good songs. Walk With You is great. I find most of the songs boring...
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:59 am

OK, I finally got my copy yesterday and after a few listens this is what I thought of it. First off, linclink's review is pretty right on as far as I'm concerned, although I disagree with what tracks are the strongest. Let me also say that I thought it was a pretty 'solid' album compared to some of his last few efforts. Maybe after a few more listens I'll amend this but this is where I stand right now.

The positives:
Minus 2 tracks I would say every song on the album is pretty strong as far as craftsmanship (that's pretty good odds when taking in Ringorama or Choose Love, both albums I love but have to admit that there are only a couple strong tracks).
Peace Dream was a stand out for me. Listening to it the first time I forgot that this is one Paul contributed to and started to think "man I really like the bass line in this song :-D
I also enjoyed Mystery of the Night, not a spectacular song but just really dug it for some reason.
Some of the tracks are very 1980ish, not one of my favorite periods in music but seems to work well on this album. Maybe its from the last couple all-starr tours having a lot of 80s artist.
All in all I would say his most solid album since Time Takes Time but without any of real stand out songs like that album had.

The Negatives
Can't Do it Wrong & Who's Your Daddy (can't say much more than that).
Also, as I mentioned above it lacks any really stand out songs.
The biggest negative for me was perhaps I was expecting something different after Liverpool 8. Although not his strongest albums it is perhaps the one I've enjoyed the most in the last 10 or so years of his.

So, should you buy it? Here are 3 criteria.

1. You just love Ringo and have to have everything he does.
2. You are an avid collector of all things Beatle-y
3. You have a gift card and haven't thought how to spend it yet.

I fell under all 3 criteria.

Cheers!
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby flextint » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:26 pm

ok bono ok i admit i had a gift card! :lol:
flextint
Supporter
Supporter

Next