John Lennon still great In NY?

Discussions related to John Lennon as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

John Lennon still great In NY?

Postby EddieV » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

My older brother went to US and New York in the summer of 2009. He told me that John Lennon is still a great hero in New York. It was shortly after the death of Michael Jackson, but JL was and is much bigger in NY, even though it nearly 30 years since he was killed? Is that true??
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: John Lennon still great In NY?

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:53 pm

it has to be true. he will always be a hero there. a friend was in ny the night he was killed and said it was unbelieveable. cops crying etc etc. i know i still miss him.
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby RickStark79 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Isn't John still a great hero everywhere??
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby james1985 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:57 pm

Depends where you go. If you're in Harlem or parts of the Bronx or Brooklyn, than the reverence with which Michael Jackson is held is there for all to see.

But John is certainly a New York icon, Strawberry Fields is a truly special place, especially on anniversaries.

It's weird walking on the pavement outside the Dakota as part of regular walking around town. The Dakota looks very eerie at night sometimes. I always look up at the windows and imagine him recording into a scratchy tape player, goofing off on Serve Yourself or something.
May sweet memories of friends from the past
Always comes to you, when you look for them
james1985
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jjs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:50 pm

EddieV wrote:My older brother went to US and New York in the summer of 2009. He told me that John Lennon is still a great hero in New York. It was shortly after the death of Michael Jackson, but JL was and is much bigger in NY, even though it nearly 30 years since he was killed? Is that true??

There is always an element of the "dead rock star syndrome" surrounding him after his death that I don't care for. We love our dead rock stars here in the US. Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Big Bopper, and so on... always on or at the top of the lists of the "greatest of all time". They had their talents, but the truth is they weren't the 'greatest' of anything at any time. Only their deaths and marketing executives made it so. How coincidental all the "greatest" ones are all the ones who are dead, huh?

There was a lot of revisionism to the Lennon legacy that occurred as a result of his murder... and when you look at it objectively, that means his murder was the greatest achievement of his career. I won't play to that. Personally, I prefer to think his greatest achievement was the great songs he wrote, and wrote with Paul as Beatles.

Most of us as teenagers in the 70's thought all that peace and bagism ***censored*** was just that. Anyone, and I mean anyone can make up peace mottos and go around preaching bullshit that really has no practical way of helping anybody. Who cares? But... How many among us can write those songs?
JJS

Wip, wop, wim and wham... indeed!
jjs
Bronze member
Bronze member

Return to JOHN