Concert Go'ers, Please Send in your Reports

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Concert Go'ers, Please Send in your Reports

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:13 pm

A reminder for those who have and will attend gigs to send in your report. I will add it to the other reports as a permanent record on this site. So please put your thoughts of what you experienced in writing and send it in.
Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Re: Concert Go'ers, Please Send in your Reports

Postby kaylaacee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:43 pm

You said to put my thoughts in writing about the concert, well honestly it is impossible to describe with words the experience. I am getting emotional just writing this. I attended the show in Dallas, I have heard so many complaints about the acoustics/parking/traffic/staff/the script, you name it. But honestly to me, NONE of those things mattered. What mattered to me was that my hero, my inspiration, my favorite artist of ALL time was up on that stage, in the same BUILDING as me, playing the music I LOVE and the music that gets me through the day. I went with my mother and she had to hold me up quite a few times, I honestly just broke down in tears when he came on the stage. Hearing his music pulse through me was like nothing i have ever experienced. Nothing could spoil that night, I can honestly say I don't believe ANYTHING will ever top that, not even if I get married, have children, etc. Paul McCartney was absolutely fantastic.
kaylaacee

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:00 pm

oh man i know just how you felt. when he walked on stage in detroit in 76 i totally lost it and ya know whats funny? i remember exactly what i was wearing and everything! but when i heard those opening notes of venus and mars the tears came rollin. i have seen him many times but that first time was just so emotional and overwhelming. hope its ok that my post doesnt really pertain to this particular tour but your post brought back the memories big time. in 1990 in indianapolis i had front row seats and before the concert i ran into paul and linda and LITERALLY almost crapped myself. by the way they were very kind considering the ass i made of myself. :-D
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Paul777 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm

I had the blessed pleasure of seeing Sir Paul McCartney in Atlanta's Piedmont Park, Saturday, August 15, 2009. This was my second time to see our beloved Paul. The first time was in Detroit during his 2005 US tour. While that was a great show, and even though it was 4 years later, Sir Paul eclipsed that performance. The set list was fairly predictable for those who follow Paul's official web site. Still, there is nothing like seeing one of the most masterful performers of recorded time playing the songs that he has made famous for up to 4.5 decades. To use the term "magical" is an understatement, yet it is a good place to start.

For 2 hours and 20 minutes, it seems safe to say that most of the 40,000+ crowd sang along to all the songs. Always reinventing himself, Paul played 14 different songs than when I first saw him, a testament to his diversity. The fact that he is still treating the world with opportunities to hear him perform live at age 67 is a testament to his longevity, stamina, and exhuberant spirit. I can only pray that all of us are doing as well when we reach that age.

While he merits a song by song analysis, I shall keep it simple and say that there were no low points in the show. The highlights for me were the tunes: a. Mrs. Vanderbilt, b. A Day In the Life/Give Peace a Chance, c. Back In the USSR, d. Highway, and e. Sing the Changes (two Fireman songs), f. Paperback Writer (had a great guitar jam), g. and his ever appropriate conclusion, The End. "And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make." Just the thought of seeing him close the show with that line still elicits tears of joy! Then came the massive epiphany and end, a thunderous exclamation point to one of rock music's most classic tunes, played on the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, and the 45th anniversary of the Beatles famous show at Shea Stadium. Wow!

Of course, even then he was not done. Paul has learned well the value of his closing line, "We'll see you next time!" In this case, I hope I do get that "next time." If you have never seen Sir Paul, I hope you also get the chance.

While I could comment about how I wish he had the confetti jets going at the end, or the cool pyrotechnics during "Live and Let Die," I shall leave that to those more inclined to address such nuances. Instead, I want to conclude this review with a couple of personal notes. Foremost, many dreams came true that night. I was 5 years old in a small Iowa town on a dark winter night when I saw the Beatles historic first performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. Now, 45+ years later, I had my dream come true when Sir Paul played one of rock and rolls greatest tunes, "I Saw Her Standing There." I danced like I have never danced before! Being present to hear and see that song played live was a Heaven-sent treat for the reason I have just stated, and especially because the day of the concert was my 51st birthday! Most of all, I was with the best company possible, the only person on the planet with whom I wanted to share my birthday and Sir Paul experience. While people may have left the concert to return to their lives, my heart is still there, dancing, rocking, and singing along with that legendary performer. Thank you, Paul, for the gift of your music, and for making my special day the greatest birthday of my life! I love you, Paul!
Paul777
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:19 pm

beautiful post paul777. and thinking of that night in 64 i would have to say it was the defining moment of my life no kidding. i am a few yrs older than you and just wanted you to know how much i loved your post. seems like the coolest people are on macca central \M/
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby JimQ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:34 pm

I was only moderately looking forward to tonight's concert in Dublin (Ireland not Montana...)- I've seen him 3 times before, always the same songs, i have what he is going to say and the setlist off by heart, is voice is gone, the tickets were really expensive..... but i decided to go along seeing as he was basically across the street from me and i'd be a lousy fan if i didn't head in - THANK F**** I didn't listen to the little voice in my head!!! An old hell's angel with a tatoo on his nose was in floods of tears at the end and said "that was lifechanging!"...cheesy as that sounds it kinda was. I spent most of the concert handing tissues to two girls either side of me, pretending I was unmoved, it was a serious emotional rollercoaster! There was such an amazing atmosphere from the minute he started. His voice was flawless (....i'm a serious critic of his croakiness....) and I, over 40 years younger than him, was tired out from watching him bound around the stage! And for the first time ever I could actually clearly hear his bass playing. For Highway he announced "and now a song from Fireman" and loads of people started running out for a drink - and most stopped on the stairs and turned in their tracks when they heard it. A surprise highlight of the night was I want to come home - Its not a song that particularly excited me but after "My Love" it contrasted so well his life as a newlywed in the 70s with him now as a widower. It was really touching and got a huge response from the crowd (who were basically insane...). For My Love he welcomed Henry McCullough to the concert and he was picked out by the spotlights and got a huge round of applause. Paul gave the best rendition of Let It Be ever for which he got a standing ovation - and people didn't really bother sitting down after that! From the first note of Magical Mystery Tour to him getting hit on the shoulder by a teddy bear as he signed autographs at the end it was the most magical 3 hrs since, well when I first saw him. THe worst thing about a Macca concert is always "...is equal to the love you make.." because it really is depressing that its over this could be the last note you'll hear from him live again.... hopefully we'll see him next time as he always promises.

Its amazing - I was mocked the first time i went to see him live in 2002, "he's old, cheesy "Sir thumbs aloft" who wears runners with suits and says things like "lets rock and roll and stomp and stroll all the way to EEEDDDINBURGGHHH....""....I think from his incessant touring of late people are actually seeing how amazing he is, as everyone this time was pi***d off that i managed to get tickets (which impressively sold out in 15 mins)!!

WOW.
JimQ

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:07 pm

great review jim. i got teary eyed reading it. i last saw him in 05 and i truly fear it was the last time i will have the chance. glad you enjoyed yourself man. :-D
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bravefan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:07 pm

Love to read them.. thanks in advance!!
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks Jim on your review from Dublin!! His best show I read somewhere. Also the songs at the soundcheck were great!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby JimQ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:12 pm

yep, a day later and i'm still recovering!! It was really hilarious at one point he started to play a tiny bit of a Leaning on a Lampost by George Formby or someone to show usual ukelele fare, and everyone freakily (and to Paul's amazement) knew the words and he ended up having to play most of the song with the audience!!
JimQ

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours