Good Evening Europe: Berlin Dec 3 2009 (slideshow)

Discussions of all gigs and tours over the years.

Moderator: Mike

Good Evening Europe: Berlin Dec 3 2009 (slideshow)

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:19 am

Mike Kovacich
www.macca-central.com . . . . . . . . . . . . www.maccaradio.com
The Paul McCartney FUNSITE . . . . . . . . The Voice of The Beatles
Mike
Gold member :)

Re: Good Evening Europe: Berlin Dec 3 2009 (slideshow)

Postby linclink » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Great set list though it is, my bet is that with one or two exceptions, or surprises, we'll get pretty much the same set lists night to night, so watch the sound check set lists for the real surprises. He may shuffle in & out a few tracks here & there, with 90%+ left the same, and/or maybe at the later shows folks will hear "Wonderful Christmas Time". I'm sure the shows are great & it's nice to see the slideshows, but again my bet is that we'll be seeing the same thing over & over...hope I'm wrong BTW.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:56 pm

linclink wrote:Great set list though it is, my bet is that with one or two exceptions, or surprises, we'll get pretty much the same set lists night to night, so watch the sound check set lists for the real surprises. He may shuffle in & out a few tracks here & there, with 90%+ left the same, and/or maybe at the later shows folks will hear "Wonderful Christmas Time". I'm sure the shows are great & it's nice to see the slideshows, but again my bet is that we'll be seeing the same thing over & over...hope I'm wrong BTW.

Yep, Paul and band rehearse songs for a tour and then they perform the songs on that tour. He has never radically changed the setlist on any tour he has been on. He may change a tune or two here or there to tweak the list pertaining to what he and the band feels what is working, what is tight. He is just not the type to just jam at 20 or 30 unrehearsed songs. Sure the songs would sound great to most but many would find the mistakes and criticize. Paul won't do or keep a song if it isn't done right. I guess we can all hope for the "Who cares what it sounds like" tour :) My opinion is Paul will never do such a thing. He doesn't need the work, the stress. He's clearly doing this for fun and if it means some people will have to hear the songs he has fun with, well, it's better than not hearing him live at all. There were too many years Paul did not tour when we all wish he would have.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby Awesoman » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:38 pm

Very cool that he's thrown in "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" as well as "And I Love Her". Other than a rare performace of the latter song on that Unplugged album, I don't believe he's ever played either song before during his solo career. I'm wondering if there are plans to release an exclusive Good Evening Europe live album, similar to when he put out Back In The World.
Awesoman

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:33 pm

Awesoman wrote:Very cool that he's thrown in "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" as well as "And I Love Her". Other than a rare performace of the latter song on that Unplugged album, I don't believe he's ever played either song before during his solo career. I'm wondering if there are plans to release an exclusive Good Evening Europe live album, similar to when he put out Back In The World.

That would be nice cuz it only makes sense they are going to be even tighter than the recent 2009 summer tour, but with all the criticism about GENYC floating around, there probably would be more criticism about a whole new CD for just 3 different songs.
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Postby EddieV » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:11 am

Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:20 pm

[quote="Awesoman"]Very cool that he's thrown in "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" as well as "And I Love Her". Other than a rare performace of the latter song on that Unplugged album, I don't believe he's ever played either song before during his solo career. I'm wondering if there are plans to release an exclusive Good Evening Europe live album, similar to when he put out Back In The World.[/quote
Now that would truly be AWESOME...man. Especially since I'll bet that before tour's end he tosses in one of two changes, including "Wonderful Christmas Time" at at least the Dublin & London shows.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby linclink » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Mike wrote:
linclink wrote:Great set list though it is, my bet is that with one or two exceptions, or surprises, we'll get pretty much the same set lists night to night, so watch the sound check set lists for the real surprises. He may shuffle in & out a few tracks here & there, with 90%+ left the same, and/or maybe at the later shows folks will hear "Wonderful Christmas Time". I'm sure the shows are great & it's nice to see the slideshows, but again my bet is that we'll be seeing the same thing over & over...hope I'm wrong BTW.

Yep, Paul and band rehearse songs for a tour and then they perform the songs on that tour. He has never radically changed the setlist on any tour he has been on. He may change a tune or two here or there to tweak the list pertaining to what he and the band feels what is working, what is tight. He is just not the type to just jam at 20 or 30 unrehearsed songs. Sure the songs would sound great to most but many would find the mistakes and criticize. Paul won't do or keep a song if it isn't done right. I guess we can all hope for the "Who cares what it sounds like" tour :) My opinion is Paul will never do such a thing. He doesn't need the work, the stress. He's clearly doing this for fun and if it means some people will have to hear the songs he has fun with, well, it's better than not hearing him live at all. There were too many years Paul did not tour when we all wish he would have.

I think you are probably, even most certainly right. I know the drill too, I just hope for little cracks of light, or fantasize about the could be's...I am VERY grateful for what we have, and especially for the news that there may be Summer 2010 U.S. dates...I will most certainly be at at least one of those I can tell you that right now!
Now as far as live releases go, I'm still holding out for some kind of Anthology/Bootleg Series releases eventually. I wish they'd be separate live & studio releases, but anything would be appreciated.
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby drivinfan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:20 pm

QUOTE..."Very cool that he's thrown in "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da" as well as "And I Love Her". Other than a rare performace of the latter song on that Unplugged album, I don't believe he's ever played either song before during his solo career".

First time live for "Ob La Di, Ob La Da", however "And I Love Her" was done not only on "Unplugged" but during the 1993 New World Tour.
The version he's doing now is the way it was done with the Beatles...previous performances were quite a bit slower and with Hammish Stuart harmonies.
Met Paul at Soundcheck - 8/14/10
drivinfan
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:41 am

Here is a link to another post where I've put the three new songs added to the Good Evening Europe Tour. Obladi-Oblada, I Want To Come Home and And I Love Her, all from a decent audience recording from the Berlin gig.

viewtopic.php?t=10983
Mike Kovacich
Mike

Next

Return to MACCA-Concerts & Tours