"McCartney" TV special from 2001?

A discussion forum for Paul's videos, short films, movies and DVDs.

Moderator: Mike

"McCartney" TV special from 2001?

Postby snubian » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:12 am

While going through some old VHS tapes I came across a TV special from 2001 called simply "McCartney". It's written and directed by Robin Bextor and is based around an interview with Paul in which he talks primarily about the Beatles' career. There are also interviews with numerous Beatle people including Pete Best, Bill Harry, Allan Williams and Klaus Voorman, plus a lot of file footage. Running time is about 51 minutes. I can't find any information at all on this documentary - it doesn't seem to be on IMDB, for example. Does anyone know anything about it?
snubian

Re: "McCartney" TV special from 2001?

Postby Tonyramon2 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:13 am

I believe it was the preview of what was later to be released as Wingspan on DVD - I saw it originally. But, it is still available for purchase - I'm quite sure that's it - Hope that helps - :-D
Tonyramon2

Postby Harrythebannister » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:59 pm

I think this is the show you mean -

http://www.beatlesondvd.com/20002009/20011103.htm

It was broadcast here in the UK on the 'Biography Channel' on Nov 25th 2001. It's a very good Macca documentary and judging by the date of broadcast, it's probably promoting the "Driving Rain" album.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby snubian » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Harrythebannister wrote:I think this is the show you mean -

http://www.beatlesondvd.com/20002009/20011103.htm

It was broadcast here in the UK on the 'Biography Channel' on Nov 25th 2001. It's a very good Macca documentary and judging by the date of broadcast, it's probably promoting the "Driving Rain" album.

That's the one alright, thanks. It doesn't seem to be promoting "Driving Rain" though - unless you mean by simply getting Paul's head on the telly - as it solely covers the Beatle years. Just made me wonder, after Anthology, why this was even necessary. It's fairly cheaply made - doesn't include any actual Beatles music for example.
snubian

Postby Jeremy K2 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:10 am

At the end of this documentary does Paul play an instrumental on piano? - which is actually 'Celebration' from Standing stone.
If this is the case then I know the doc. you're referring too. It was just called McCartney and although perhaps cheaply made I nevertheless thought it an excellent piece. He was very complimentray of the other Beatles - as Paul has always been depsite the others sometimes being harsh towards him. I use to always be saddneed when John or George would make an unfair swipe at Paul. Thankfully deep down they loved each other and seem to outgrow those rather nasty tendecies.
Jeremy K2

Return to MACCA-Videos