I just rediscovered a 90s female artist.

Discussion for other music & artists

Moderator: Mike

I just rediscovered a 90s female artist.

Postby Derek70 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:45 am

I was in this chatroom last night and i was talking about it. I rediscovered Tori Amos a few days ago..and..Id really like to share this story, if i may.
I started listening to Tori when i was getting over a very bad breakup from a romantic relationship that couldve been but never was. To really understand how i got to Tori and admired her, let me start by saying i'm a hardcore Beatlesfan (band & solo). I think if it werent for the events that took place in 1990 & 1991, i probely wouldve never appreciated Tori, as i do now. While I was going to the collage to get my diploma, I met a woman who's name was Anne and was 1 year and a half older than me. we started to hit it off. However i couldnt drive because of my eyes, so i could't really take her out on a date. But we would see each other at the collage and talk on the phone. This was the 1ST (and only)time ANY woman took an interest in me. I called her sometimes but she even called me alot and that NEVER happened before or since. At that time i was her only friend because she couldn't really go out much with no car available. Her mom picked her up one day and her mom took one look at me and told her NOT ever go out with me. She explained that it was her mom's "intuition", At the same time she wasnt getting on too well with her mom. the only way we could see each other was she would pick me up at the collage. She was a HUGE femimnist. She didnt believe that a woman should take care of the home barefoot & pregnant while the man went out and worked. And I thought "Hey, this could work well for me, with my "problem" or whatever it is, she could earn enough money and I would still have my Social Security. For the 1ST time I felt like i had it made. This girl really liked me and i didnt need no help from NOONE. When the Lubys tragedy happened, she said her & her mom almost went to Lubys that day in fact they were at the door when they changed thier minds and went somewhere else. (A guy drove his truck though the glass doors and shot & killed 23 people including himself.) When it happened she felt very afraid she said she wouldve been in the line at the time he came in. When she came to the collage and we went to the park she acted like she wanted to be more than friends. (Later she just said at the time she just felt "vulnerable" ) HOWEVER.....
When her mom found out, she didnt get mad, she got even. Anne's parents took her out to a social gathering of some sort and they introduced her to a man. Her and her mom was now gettin along. and her and the man started dating, then after a while she finelly said that our relationship was wrong, though fun, but wanted to end it, and said that she was only "humouring" me, ("give the baby his bottle" was the term she used) even though still shaken about the Lubys thing. I was VERY hurt and panicked, because in the back of my mind, I knew if the relationship did end, I would end up where im at now. living at home with my mom unable to get a job and be independant.. I went totally belistic and strange. when we met up the next time i wouldnt let her go, I sorta wanted to arouse the feeling we had on that day at the park. (just for the record, we NEVER had sex , im still a virgin to this day, in fact as i remember now when i kissed her she sorta resisted.) She sorta allowed it because from what she said later, she knew that this would be the only romantic experience Ill ever have. But she finelly said "no". She also hinted that she was seeing me out of rebelion against her mom. I'd rather have had she hate my guts than to have her as a casual aqaintence, knowing full well if hadn’t been for her mother’s prejudices, I would’ve had her (I don’t think I would’ve still had her now, looking back on it) So i did everything i could to make her hate me like ringing her phone then hanging up and other stuff i wont get into. For the next 2 years I would mumble and say to God "Its not fair!!, ITS NOT RIGHT!!!, This wasnt supposed 2 happen!"
But one night, i was crying, channelsurfing, and i ran into a world premier video of Tori Amos: "Silent All These Years". For some reason, still unknown to me to this day, i felt a strange calm, like someone was watching me, understanding me, but at the same time, giving me loving but firm talking to. I'm a Christian, and i believe at that moment God was using Tori. I bought the "Little Earthquakes" CD and it just seemed all came together for me. Whenever i started getting mopy about Anne, i just flip on the disc, and it would go away. But a while later it began to have the oppisette effect. like i was growing emotional immune to it. Then later on i pawned it. now i wish i hadnt.
Now i live in Cozumel, Mexico with my mom. My entire family who dont even get along with eachother has drilled in my head, if i ever tried to make it on my own, i would be dead in a month. I may be 39 physicly, but i only have the life experiance of a 13 year old. That little "fling" or what ever you wanna call it, was the only romantic experiance i ever had. Women looked me and see a child.
I forgot what Tori's music did for me until today, When i listened and downloaded 4 of her songs off "Little Earthquakes": "Crucify", "Silent All These Years", "Happy Phantom" and the title track. (ans yes, its all legal & paid for) and i cried when i heard "Silent All These Years" again. I got that same soothing feeling from it, when first heard it back in 1992.
Anyrate, try not to judge me too harsh.
Derek70

Re: I just rediscovered a 90s female artist.

Postby EddieV » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:33 am

She just played the Royal opera here in Denmark and she got 5/6 in her rating. I still need to check Tori out!!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:04 pm

why would anybody judge you harshly? it was a touching story derek and best of luck to you. :smile:
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bonovox66 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

I think you deserve a lot of respect for being so open and honest. I can say I can relate in some way, "I once had a girl or should I say she once had me". Although our relationship was different the end was pretty much how you described it. Thanks for sharing, I can't tell you how much it touched me.

As for Tori, I use to really love her. I never liked her when she was really famous (Little Earthquakes, Choirgirl). It wasn't until I dated this girl and took her to see Tori that I fell in love with her (Tori not the date). I was so moved that I went and saw her 8 more times after that. She is an amazing vocalist, what you hear on her records cannot compare to the power of her voice live. I was lucky enough to meet her once and she was absolutely delightful. Unfortunately I don't listen to her that much. It was more of a "time in my life" soundtrack that is nice to go back to once and a while but not on a regular basis.

And for anyone getting into Tori, might I recommend Scarlet's Walk. I've long considerred this the last great "concept" album.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Derek70 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:33 pm

markfeber@yahoo.com wrote:why would anybody judge you harshly?"it was a touching story derek and best of luck to you. :smile:
"

Well i posted this story on 4 differant Tori sites...ignored...no reply...no nothing.
but then again, maybe i'm being overly sensitive, thats just my nature.
I will say this, while i discovered Tori a few months after the break up of the almost relationship. While we were hitting it off and "dating", my record of the moment was usauly Paul's "Ram". I canNOT listen to "Long Haired Lady". And as much as i like "Too Many People", everytime i listen to "You took your lucky break and broke it in two", i just want to say..."CRAM IT, PAUL!, since when did i ever have my "lucky break?"", then i just click on John's "How Do You Sleep?" hehe
Unfortunatly thats the only romantic experiance i had.
Derek70

Postby 2 of 3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:34 pm

Yeah, Tori is pretty great. Being and old guy, I started with Kate Bush first...and once you get hooked on something...you look for others too. Love them both. :)
The World is a tangled up necklace of Pearls
2 of 3
Supporter
Supporter

Postby cjm320 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:31 pm

Someday you'll find "her". Good luck man :)
cjm320

Return to Music - Other Artists