Songs he should have worked harder on

Discussions of various topics about Paul not covered in the forums below.

Moderator: Mike

Songs he should have worked harder on

Postby EddieV » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:35 am

Which one do you think and what should have been done to them??

I´m Carrying should been longer! Most of the arrangement on London Town is pour!
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Songs he should have worked harder on

Postby bravefan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:14 am

Treat Her Gently...following Listen to What the Man Said...on the Venus and Mars album. I like the song but I think it could have been better. I've always thought that.
bravefan
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby EddieV » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:38 am

bravefan wrote:Treat Her Gently...following Listen to What the Man Said...on the Venus and Mars album. I like the song but I think it could have been better. I've always thought that.

I agree.
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby L Dozier » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:40 pm

From a Lover to a Friend. It sounds as if he's making up the lyrics on the spot.
L Dozier

Postby Derek70 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:48 pm

The one song that had potentail but seemed very unfinished was "Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)". Instead of just trying to show off to Dustin Hoffman, he could've had a real cool 2nd verse, but no, instead it just wanders off into slow renditions of "Jet" and "Mrs Vandebilt". It just VERY unfinished to me.
And of course there's songs off his 1st solo album like "Hot As Sun/Glasses", there was a song trying to come out.
Derek70

Postby graecophilos88 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:43 pm

EddieV wrote:Which one do you think and what should have been done to them??

I´m Carrying should been longer! Most of the arrangement on London Town is pour!

I like i, the way it's presented on LT. It's a beautiful little song, as Paul might say. It's a really good one of Beatles quality.

I think he should have put more thought into Keep Under Cover. The intro melody is quite strong. Then, when the verses come in it sounds like a faster Another Day... He should have made it more of a depressive ballad :-D

"without you by my side..."

Speaking of the Pipes Of peace album, lyrically I cringe over Average Person. This "working with lions" part is awful

Another tune I like is Suicide. He seems to like it as well, because he played it throughout his career. The few second on Macca I don't count.

There is one version, from 74 or 77, where he added a little intro it sounded quite good.

BTW, a song he should NOT have worked on is Ram On/Big Barn Bed.

Ram On sounds nice, but the idea of writinga sequel is horrible. BBB is awful :lol:
graecophilos88

Postby graecophilos88 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Derek70 wrote:The one song that had potentail but seemed very unfinished was "Picasso's Last Words (Drink To Me)". Instead of just trying to show off to Dustin Hoffman, he could've had a real cool 2nd verse, but no, instead it just wanders off into slow renditions of "Jet" and "Mrs Vandebilt". It just VERY unfinished to me.
And of course there's songs off his 1st solo album like "Hot As Sun/Glasses", there was a song trying to come out.

Haha, you can't blame Dustin. IÄm sure he would not have minded Paul adding another verse later for the album. From what I understand Dustin just wanted to know if paul could write a song from the scratch, but Dustin certainly didn't force Paul to just stick with the one verse.

Other songsPaul could have worked more is She Came In Through The Bathroom Window And Golden Slumbers.
graecophilos88

Postby mhnso » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:38 am

I think he should have worked a bit harder with Yesterday. That song has a potential if he had added some verses and a girliechorus plus some mandolins and an electrigguitarsolo.
mhnso
Silver member
Silver member

Postby eggman1979 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:03 am

mhnso wrote:I think he should have worked a bit harder with Yesterday. That song has a potential if he had added some verses and a girliechorus plus some mandolins and an electrigguitarsolo.

Ha ha ha ha ha That's a good one!!! :lol: :cheers
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby efghijiloveyou » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:49 pm

Backwards Traveler, We're Open Tonight, The Lovely Linda, Really Love You and Summer's Day Song are all great songs that I think could have been even better if they were fleshed out a little more. Of course there are some songs that would be better today with maybe a different approach with regards to production (see Press to Play), but these songs I would like to have seen a bit longer, cause I already like the approach taken.
efghijiloveyou
Bronze member
Bronze member

Next

Return to MACCA - all discussions