The Beatles remasters albums?

A discussion of all the Beatle albums

Moderator: Mike

Re: The Beatles remasters albums?

Postby jgkojak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:45 am

I think there is a good shot they'll all place somewhere in the Top 200- I seem to remember some of the original Beatle CDs placing during the original re-issue phase.
Everyone's talkin' 'bout the President
We all chip in for a bag of cement
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Awesoman » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:57 am

EddieV wrote:Are you going to buy them??

I haven´t decided yet? A lot of money to be spent on something I already have

Absolutely. This has been LONG overdue.
Awesoman

Postby Lazarus_2 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:47 am

As soon as I get some more money together, gonna try and get the whole mono set.

Downloaded .flacs of the remastered mono's and they sound really great.
Much better than the stereos in most cases.
youtube.com/kinnarchimedes
Lazarus_2
Silver member
Silver member

Postby RickStark79 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:31 am

jgkojak wrote:I think there is a good shot they'll all place somewhere in the Top 200- I seem to remember some of the original Beatle CDs placing during the original re-issue phase.

Only the Mono and Stereo box sets can chart on the Billboard Top 200. The individual albums can't make the Top 200 albums charts because they are reissues. They'd all have to go on the Top Catalog Albums chart, which I'm sure they will.
No one understaaaaands...
RickStark79
Supporter
Supporter

Postby jgkojak » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:23 am

Only the Mono and Stereo box sets can chart on the Billboard Top 200. The individual albums can't make the Top 200 albums charts because they are reissues. They'd all have to go on the Top Catalog Albums chart, which I'm sure they will.

You are of course correct--

Thanks to Billboards dishonest policy of refusing to chart older albums (i.e. Michael Jackson would have had the Top 3 albums immediately after his death) for fear of pushing newer product off the charts-- the reality is that 40-60 albums on the Top Pop catalog charts regularly outsell records in the Top 200. Seems to me they should either make a larger chart (i.e. 300) or simply be honest about the music industry sucking wind- perhaps if they were honest some execs would lose their jobs.
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby eggman1979 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:31 am

Well, I just got my two first remastered Beatles' albums, Please please me and With the Beatles in stereo (Yes, I`m gonna buy them all in the order they originally came out).

Well yes, they sound better, specially With the Beatles and, though I expected a little more from the documentaries, I'm happy with them, can't wait to have them all. The only thing I hated is the way the CD is packaged, I will copy it and never again use the original disc so it would not be ruined.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby the_kid_a » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

eggman1979 wrote:Well, I just got my two first remastered Beatles' albums, Please please me and With the Beatles in stereo (Yes, I`m gonna buy them all in the order they originally came out).

Well yes, they sound better, specially With the Beatles and, though I expected a little more from the documentaries, I'm happy with them, can't wait to have them all. The only thing I hated is the way the CD is packaged, I will copy it and never again use the original disc so it would not be ruined.

I must agree with you on the mini-documentaries. Although I understand that they are called mini for a reason, besides the cool graphics and stuff, there isn't anything that they said that relatively loyal Beatles fans don't know already. I didn't have more insight by watching them.
the_kid_a

Postby jgkojak » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:21 am

From ASK BILLBOARD column on billboard.com:

HELP!

Dear Gary,

I was wondering if you could please let me know how the new Beatles remastered sets will figure into next week's album charts.

Thanks,

Mike Paras
Philippines

Hi Mike,

Here is the official word from Billboard 200 chart manager Keith Caulfield on the new Beatles releases, as they pertain to our charts:

"The two new box sets from the Beatles will chart on the Billboard 200, as the tally houses current and new releases, generally those 18 months old or less. On the Top Comprehensive Albums chart, both old and new albums mingle. Thus, the individual album reissues of the Beatles' catalog will chart on the Top Comprehensive Albums and Top Pop Catalog Albums charts."

Browse billboard.com's exclusive in-depth coverage of the Beatles' recent multi-media whirlwind.

Here in New York (and online), listeners were treated to wall-to-wall Beatles Wednesday on WCBS-FM 101.1, which counted down the top 101 Beatles songs of all-time to celebrate the reissue of the band's catalog. The specialty programming was quite the musical magical mystery tour, and the list's lower rungs especially provided either a reminder to aficionados or an introduction to more casual fans of the band's deep cuts that often don't receive airplay. The countdown also spotlighted radio at its best - creative, timely and interactive.
jgkojak
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:31 pm

Here's a link to an article posted yesterday on billboard.com in relation to how well the remasters are selling.

The Beatles upstaged by a 92 year old? Still nice to see them holding so many positions. I wonder if this is some kind of record?
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Beatle Bob » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:45 pm

I tell you, I'm just overwhelmed with the everything done to these Beatles albums. The mono box has wonderful packaging, with the CDs in cardboard sleeves with a plastic over wrap (resealable like a Dr. Ebbetts release) and they are easy to remove from the sleeves. Comes with a 40+page booklet. The stereo discs are in beautiful digipacks with glossy booklets with new liner notes, session info, etc. Classy presentation all around.

The audio is what makes these remasters the talk of the town though. The mono discs are crisp, full of snap and punch. There are times things like a cowbell jumps out at you unexpectedly from a mono recording. Case in point: MONO MASTERS disc #1, "I Call Your Name". Whoa. How'd they do that? SGT. PEPPER'S rocks harder. The WHITE ALBUM same thing. Stereo PAST MASTERS - just listen to the opening part of "Thank You Girl" with the hard strumming guitars and pounding drums by Ringo. It will knock you out of your seat. Crank up "Paperback Writer" and you are enwrapped in a rock and roll song that gains power like never before. Guitar jabs on "I Me Mine" from LET IT BE pierce your ear drums. They want to bleed. ABBEY ROAD...the drums. Ringo's drums benefit as well as Paul's bass. My speakers never heard such bass frequencies before. It rattles and I have to turn the bass down! The moog synthesizer isn't muddy. The anvil on "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" feels like a lightning bolt to the brain. I've never heard bongos on "A Hard Day's Night" until I spun the stereo remaster.

This clarity and new found power to these recordings is remarkable. A hazy layer that always masked these recordings are now gone. It's almost like hearing new mixes...but they're not! They sound like a revitalized band thanks to the wonderful and superb job done by the mastering team. Right now, I'm redescovering them, hearing new anomolies, and detail with such definition that I never expected to hear. I'm now in Abbey Road's Studio 2!

Regards,
Beatle Bob
:)
Beatle Bob

PreviousNext

Return to The Beatles: Albums