Which version of "This Guitar" is better?

Discussions related to George Harrison as Beatle and his solo career.

Moderator: Mike

Which version of "This Guitar" is better?

Postby DerekBR » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:19 pm

I think i like the 2000 remake. I downloaded from MP3Raid. I think he might've recorded it during the "Brainwashed" sessions, but was overdubbed recently. I thought it'd be a good track on the "Vol.2" i mentioned on here. But then i got to thinking, would it just be better if was a bonus track on the remastered "Extra Texture"? I played both versions on YouTube just now, compared them and..the newer version won for me. Has anyone heard the new version of "This Guitar...?" How do yall rate it?
DerekBR

Re: Which version of "This Guitar" is better?

Postby Mark Rink » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 pm

DerekBR wrote:I think i like the 2000 remake. I downloaded from MP3Raid. I think he might've recorded it during the "Brainwashed" sessions, but was overdubbed recently. I thought it'd be a good track on the "Vol.2" i mentioned on here. But then i got to thinking, would it just be better if was a bonus track on the remastered "Extra Texture"? I played both versions on YouTube just now, compared them and..the newer version won for me. Has anyone heard the new version of "This Guitar...?" How do yall rate it?
have'nt heard it yet but the origanal version is BRILLIANT
Mark Rink
Silver member
Silver member

Postby linclink » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:18 pm

I guess I'd go with the 1975 version, but...and keep in mind that I actually am a pretty big booster of the notoriously underrated/overlooked/misunderstood "Extra Texture (Read All About It)" & "Dark Horse" as well- I don't really care for this track very much at all, no matter the year or version. I really liked "Here Comes The Moon', but this sequel sounds forced and falls flat as far as I'm concerned.
I should add that I really dig the "My Sweet Lord" version done around 2000, & that I'm not so much a booster of "Somewhere IN England", or "Gone Troppo"- though they have incredible tracks on them...now those two put together would have made a nice album, but too much filler on either keeps them at the bottom on my Harrison list. Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby DerekBR » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:21 pm

I'm sure if you heard the remake, you might change your mind about the song because the 2000 remake of "This Guitar" doesn't sound forced at all like the 1975 version. If i knew how to post that YouTube clip on here i would. George recorded it in 2000 but it was overdubbed and polished by Dave Stewart, it just sounds awsome! I sorta feel George should have never recorded that song until the "Brainwashed" sessions, it would've fit perfectly on there.
DerekBR

Postby Craigerb » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:30 pm

I like the John Denver one, too.
"And in the end/The love you take/Is equal to/The love you make."
Craigerb
Supporter
Supporter

Postby linclink » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:51 pm

DerekBR wrote:I'm sure if you heard the remake, you might change your mind about the song because the 2000 remake of "This Guitar" doesn't sound forced at all like the 1975 version. If i knew how to post that YouTube clip on here i would. George recorded it in 2000 but it was overdubbed and polished by Dave Stewart, it just sounds awsome! I sorta feel George should have never recorded that song until the "Brainwashed" sessions, it would've fit perfectly on there.

Derek, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but...I have heard the more recent version with Dave Stewart, and...I just really don't care for it...even less than the original actually. But...I do know how to post youtube links, so here they are...
early version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvrdVfNXf3s
later version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfJawVlB4YU
Blessings!!
Om Namah Shivaya !!!!
linclink
Silver member
Silver member

Location: Canandaigua, New York, USA, Earth, Cosmos of Light & Love

Postby chris » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:50 pm

linclink wrote: I appreciate your enthusiasm, but...

first of all...have to say...i love this line. just classic.

second, i am a big appreciater of this song. both versions. but the original has feeling and emotion. the original far outweighs the remake.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby savillerowdie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:57 pm

Definitely, the original.
savillerowdie
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby Berkeleyan » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:33 am

I for one have never heard about it, let alone listened to it.
When did George record it ? In 1975 as an alternate version or not ?
The Love You Take is Equal to the Love You Make
Berkeleyan
Gold member :)
Gold member :)

Return to GEORGE