Movies About The Beatles But Not Staring Them

What new & old movies do you like? Room for TV talk as well.

Moderator: Mike

Movies About The Beatles But Not Staring Them

Postby bonovox66 » Thu May 21, 2009 10:36 am

I was playing around on imdb.com and came across a TV movie I have not thought about in years. It was called "The Linda McCartney Story" Did anyone catch this? Curious what everyone thought. I rember thinking it was ok at the time but don't remember much about it. One thing I did find interesting was the woman that played Linda. I always thought she resembled Heather more than Linda.

Anyway, between that and recently watching Bacbeat for the first time in years, it got me to thinking about all the other crappy and not-so-crappy movies made about The Beatles over the years.

One of my personal faves has always been Birth of the Beatles. Always thought this was told more from Pete Best's side of the story though.

One of the worst. I don't even remember the name, but it was a made for VH1 movie (I think) about John. All I remember is John throwing a brick at Paul's house and cursing.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Movies About The Beatles But Not Staring Them

Postby eggman1979 » Thu May 21, 2009 5:47 pm

bonovox66 wrote:I was playing around on imdb.com and came across a TV movie I have not thought about in years. It was called "The Linda McCartney Story" Did anyone catch this? Curious what everyone thought. I rember thinking it was ok at the time but don't remember much about it. One thing I did find interesting was the woman that played Linda. I always thought she resembled Heather more than Linda.

Anyway, between that and recently watching Bacbeat for the first time in years, it got me to thinking about all the other crappy and not-so-crappy movies made about The Beatles over the years.

One of my personal faves has always been Birth of the Beatles. Always thought this was told more from Pete Best's side of the story though.

One of the worst. I don't even remember the name, but it was a made for VH1 movie (I think) about John. All I remember is John throwing a brick at Paul's house and cursing.

Actually, the movie-scene you are reffering to is from The Linda McCartney Story which is not so bad. My favourites are Backbeat and John Lennon: In his life.
We can make it to Mexico City...AGAIN!!!!!
eggman1979
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby markfeber@yahoo.com » Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 pm

yes i kinda liked the linda mccartney story and bacbeat but does across the universe count?
markfeber@yahoo.com
Bronze member
Bronze member

Postby bonovox66 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:01 am

I guess Across the Universe Counts. I was mainly speaking about films about them though.

Thanks eggman, I hadn't realised I had confused those two movies. I guess I don't remember anything about In His Life.

As for Across the Universe, I may be alone in this... but I did not like this movie. I loved the music, the performances, cinematography, etc. But I just got sick of all the little Beatle puns. "Where did she come form?" "She came in through the bathroom window" for example. A few of these little puns would have been nice but I just felt the movie was all about the puns and not about the story. Jusy my take on it. If I wasn't a Beatle fan I probably would have loved it. Oh, and the scene w/ Bono was completely ridiculous and should not have been in the movie. And for me to say cut Bono out of something is pretty big (if you can't tell by my username I do love me some Bono).

Has anyone else scene Birrth of The Beatles? Until the Anthologies I always thought this movie was the closest to a historical account of the early years as we would ever get. And of course there was the Complete Beatles which I think was also a made for TV account, but I'm not sure about that.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Fri May 22, 2009 6:10 pm

i never cared much for birth of the beatles. when i was younger, and when it first came out, i suppose i thought it was cool. but i saw it again a couple of times, and it got cheesier and cheesier for me. why? the lamest drum solo...ever...when ringo had to win over the very pro-pete best croud.

it was a very pete best-ish flick.

and i remember seeing the complete beatles on video. that...was my favorite account of the beatle's story, til anthology came out.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby bonovox66 » Fri May 22, 2009 9:09 pm

chris wrote: it got cheesier and cheesier for me. why? the lamest drum solo...ever...when ringo had to win over the very pro-pete best croud.

it was a very pete best-ish flick.

:mrgreen: I forgot about the drum solo. Yeah, that was pretty cheesy. Then again haven't seen it in may years, probably not as good as I remember.
bonovox66
Supporter
Supporter

Postby EddieV » Sat May 23, 2009 1:00 am

Wasn´t there a movie called Backbeat about the early day in Hamburg?
Now junior behave yourself
EddieV
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat May 23, 2009 3:18 pm

eddie, backbeat was great. it was really the story of stu sutcliffe. and his relationship with astrid kercher (?) and klaus voorman. the music was recreated by an impressive collection of young musicians. kicked booty, actually. ended right around the time they got popular. but a must see for any beatle fan.
I want to tell her that I love her a lot, but I got to get a belly full of wine.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Harrythebannister » Sat May 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Backbeat is a great movie and if my memory serves me right features a frighteningly good Paul lookalike. I have a very good 10" vinyl record by The Backbeat Band of Money and interestingly enough features a certain Dave Grohl on drums.
Man I could smell your breath a mile away.
Harrythebannister
Supporter
Supporter

Postby chris » Sat May 23, 2009 9:10 pm

they even managed to make the song please mr postman sound...cool.
chris
Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to Movies & TV